Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Howardism......."Have you ever been on Jeremy Kyle because you had a noisy vacuum cleaner "

S C O, you have to hand it to Howard - the bloke is a genius! After all, it needed lots of brainpower, searching every research avenue known to man and, of course, his magnetic wit, charm and personality to find out and convey to us poor mortals that nugget of information! Stick to talking about 'yer bowels, H, it suits you better...

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Howards just informed us fathers day is fast approaching in June.........................cheers Howz matey!!! That lot latch onto any old day to sell anything old thing, this thing being a karcher, IW so unoriginal and unimaginative as always, deary me.

Howard selling Karcher comparing the annual wash down of the green slime in the garden with giving your face a good power wash before you embark on an Internet date, after a long time without a date...........

You know he says , after you've come out of a relationship and decided to have a go at getting a date on an Internet site...You automatically give yourself more of a thorough clean..........Not that he has any experience of Internet dating he says...........

Doesn't he keep himself clean all the time then........

What has this got to do with selling power washers.........Utter rubbish!

Turandot, perhaps it's a case of the wacky baccy? Odd does not begin to describe it......I think there's a village somewhere that's missing its' idiot..

Howard selling Karcher comparing the annual wash down of the green slime in the garden with giving your face a good power wash before you embark on an Internet date, after a long time without a date...........

You know he says , after you've come out of a relationship and decided to have a go at getting a date on an Internet site...You automatically give yourself more of a thorough clean..........Not that he has any experience of Internet dating he says...........

Doesn't he keep himself clean all the time then........

What has this got to do with selling power washers.........Utter rubbish!

He said that if you bought his ceramic frying pan set you would be embarking on a new healthier lifestyle.
I'm still trying to work that one out.

I had an account here many years ago, must be 2006 but obviously I think the forum was upgraded at some point and that account is now gone. So many things and stories I could tell but I noticed this on Youtube. I remember the old days when Peter Simon was good. But this story like, if there was a family, if there was a friend etc. He's basically got it all covered right? So it don't matter if you're married, single, widowed, divorced YOU MUST HAVE THIS. And then the story of "Mr Allen" lol, come on! Do you know what it reminds me of? Like a young person talking to a pensioner. The slow speech, the little nods as if to say do you understand me ok? Yes? Yes ok then. Very patronising. Another thing that always went through my mind and there's others on TV like this, Freddie Starr used to be like this back in his day, they have a way of coming across as being serious and saying serious things but there's thing in their eyes that makes you think they're about to burst out laughing and that's how I always thought with Peter Simon, he's obviously trying to come across as serious with these shows but part of you thinks he's ready to start laughing himself and then you think well why would you talk like that? For me shopping telly was never better than Andy Sheldon's early days on Shop! and then Bid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1SyIKMpWs

LOL at Hayley Green: "and your car is probably at risk of being stolen 'cos they want your ladders!"

Talking about having ladders strapped to the roof of your car :p

I had an account here many years ago, must be 2006 but obviously I think the forum was upgraded at some point and that account is now gone. So many things and stories I could tell but I noticed this on Youtube. I remember the old days when Peter Simon was good. But this story like, if there was a family, if there was a friend etc. He's basically got it all covered right? So it don't matter if you're married, single, widowed, divorced YOU MUST HAVE THIS. And then the story of "Mr Allen" lol, come on! Do you know what it reminds me of? Like a young person talking to a pensioner. The slow speech, the little nods as if to say do you understand me ok? Yes? Yes ok then. Very patronising. Another thing that always went through my mind and there's others on TV like this, Freddie Starr used to be like this back in his day, they have a way of coming across as being serious and saying serious things but there's thing in their eyes that makes you think they're about to burst out laughing and that's how I always thought with Peter Simon, he's obviously trying to come across as serious with these shows but part of you thinks he's ready to start laughing himself and then you think well why would you talk like that? For me shopping telly was never better than Andy Sheldon's early days on Shop! and then Bid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1SyIKMpWs

Maybe he's trying to stop himself laughing thinking of all those customers who will be drawn into his ridiculous sales gobbledygook.

I think he was OK when he was on children's TV and could act the fool.

Last edited:
it would be boring if they were compliant though.

it has to be said.

I have to agree with you.

Either have great products at bargain prices and it won't matter about presenter quality or get in **** products but funny and entertaining presenters that makes for addictive viewing....

.... unfortunately Ideal World has both crap products and boring presentations. Even Bid in it's car crash telly mode was better than IW, in this respect.

Finally some agreement!! WooP (does a small dance). We all know the products inside out now, so the only interest is how much the presenter bodges up the presentation/tells falsehoods/is rude :)
Personally I rarely have it on now unless it's an 'interesting' character :p
Aha, maybe that was the secret double-cross-tactic......

Do you think someone should tell James protocol that his displeasure at having to offer 3 POTD's a year to IW is so obvious now that you don't need a telly to see it :p

Mind you, I'm surprised there is room for anyone else in the room with him and his ego....

I have to agree with you.

Either have great products at bargain prices and it won't matter about presenter quality or get in **** products but funny and entertaining presenters that makes for addictive viewing....

.... unfortunately Ideal World has both crap products and boring presentations. Even Bid in it's car crash telly mode was better than IW, in this respect.

Don't get me wrong, that wasn't a dig at any specific individual.

I just think it would make for crap 'background' filler if every presentation was highly professional with perfect facts being told etc.

As you said, if they were legitimately cheaper than most of, if not all of other retailers then it wouldn't be an issue.

Where Ideal world goes wrong in my opinion is that they sell between 1 and 3 items in an hour (and have to use old footage as they cannot talk about the same thing for that long, no one could) and bid would do that in about ten mins.

if i'm being honest i'm essentially bored with IW, in fact shopping telly in general, full stop these days. i only ever watched bid, IW and sometimes QVC for my dirty thrills, with bid gone and IW not floating my boat any more, i hardly ever hop on to it and actually find myself hopping on to QVC more ... and only on the off chance catherine huntley is on :)

on a purely presenter level (cause i obviously don't know them as people) i don't really like watching loen, mike, hayley, howard sally or peter (never thought i'd ever say that!) for any length of time and i literally can't stand watching dennice (i say every word as if i'm about to have a 'moment') or genevieve (and of course ... and of course ... and of course) the only one i don't really mind is rachel and even she crates on me sometimes.

we keep on saying it and for me i think i've reached my max, there's only so much of the same products and the same dodgy selling tactics a person can take so, for me, my shopping telly activity these days is the occasional hop on to QVC to see if catherine is on ... purely for her presenting skills you understand :)

oh yeah and just so you know ... a 30cm x 30cm section of sprung mattress WITHOUT any padding or fabric does NOT show you how a full size, padded, good quality sprung mattress will behave!!!!!!!!!!

if i'm being honest i'm essentially bored with IW, in fact shopping telly in general, full stop these days. i only ever watched bid, IW and sometimes QVC for my dirty thrills, with bid gone and IW not floating my boat any more, i hardly ever hop on to it and actually find myself hopping on to QVC more ... and only on the off chance catherine huntley is on :)

on a purely presenter level (cause i obviously don't know them as people) i don't really like watching loen, mike, hayley, howard sally or peter (never thought i'd ever say that!) for any length of time and i literally can't stand watching dennice (i say every word as if i'm about to have a 'moment') or genevieve (and of course ... and of course ... and of course) the only one i don't really mind is rachel and even she crates on me sometimes.

we keep on saying it and for me i think i've reached my max, there's only so much of the same products and the same dodgy selling tactics a person can take so, for me, my shopping telly activity these days is the occasional hop on to QVC to see if catherine is on ... purely for her presenting skills you understand :)

oh yeah and just so you know ... a 30cm x 30cm section of sprung mattress WITHOUT any padding or fabric does NOT show you how a full size, padded, good quality sprung mattress will behave!!!!!!!!!!

What is it about Catherine's selling technique that attracts you?

I like Catherine too, she has such a lovely voice. Maybe that's why cheeky chappie likes her too lol

I find myself going back to QVC lately. They have a lot of fashion hours. I think they do those really well and I'm constantly gobsmacked at the prices and how they sell out.......mostly anyway. They have some lovely jewellery hours too.

Ideal World sell nothing new, 15 years of the same old boring tripe. An hour on a flipping mattress and the same daft bloke does the reclining chairs, another whole hour spent on a chair. Then they have the audacity to say 'Well, I'm being told I only have xminutes left, where has the hour gone? We really could do with two, come back again and we'll do two hours hopefully'

Bonkers!

Latest posts

Back