Redcarpet Manicure - any new tips and observations?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
I have been using RCM since last July. I am getting pretty good at painting my nails in 30mins using the claw method (so paint all five nails on one hand and hold the LED lamp over my nails, having made a claw shape of my hand).
My nails are much stronger and I have to file them now though the nails on my dominant hand are not as strong and a couple flake a bit so I have to file them down between applications.
I can make the polish go for 12-14 days. I now apply a fresh top coat on Day 6 as the nails are looking a little less shiny. It may prolong the manicure as well.
If the polish on one of the nails has lifted a bit, I glue it back in place.

It is however taking me longer to remove the varnish now. This is probably because of the extra coat of top gloss. Any tips on helping me remove the polish?

I too have been using the system since last July and have adapted it a little.

Firstly I don't "rough up" the surface of my nail before application now and the varnish doesn't lift and still lasts as long. I feel happier that I am not damaging the nail surface, whereas before I wasn't happy with the thought of doing this long term.

Secondly when I remove it I take a normal round cotton pad and cut it into 4. Then I take a strip of normal kitchen foil and cut it into strips about 1" wide and 4" long. I soak 5 pieces of the cotton pad place on my nails and wrap well with the foil on one hand only. I then make a tulip shape with all my fingers of the wrapped hand and "hug" it with the other hand.

I am not sure if it is pressing the cotton wool onto my fingers, or the warmth from the other hand, but when I loosen the foil and slide off the finger the varnish falls off with it. I then just slide my other fingers into the foil wraps and do the same for the other hand.

That way you economise on cotton wool, foil and remover.

I just pour the remover into a small glass ramekin and dip the nails on one hand for about 10 minutes and then the other hand. The polish doesn't come off in the liquid but slides off into a tissue. Then I pour it back into the bottle and hardly any of it has gone. It takes less time in total because it cuts out the foil-faffing time.

Another thing I try not to do is go too close the skin at the side of the nail. If you watch Leighton Denny paint nails he always leaves a thin edge on the side of the nail. Maybe its when the varnish touches the skin or the cuticle its not 100% sealed and thats when it can lift.

I find a solid colour lasts longer than a French, but even then ive not had longer than a week without a chip or a peel. I did a French on Saturday and already I've had two chips. One yesterday was only little so I filed it down a bit and reapplied a coat of top coat over to seal the edge, but today I got a bigger one which I couldn't disguise, so I've had to put a dark colour over the top till I can get time to either take the lot off or just do that nail from scratch again.
I'm going away next week for a fortnight, and when I got the set at first I had hoped I would be able to do my nails to last the whole holiday but I'm thinking now I won't bother, as I wouldn't have the gear with me to touch up one nail if it chipped, nor would I want to be faffing taking it off while I'm away, and there's no way it would last a fortnight. :sad:

As I've said on the other thread that's going, I'm still having problems doing a pedi, my little toes won't cure (must have very deformed feet!)

I removed the polish yesterday when the temperature was around 25c indoors and it came off so much easier. I conclude that heat really does ease the removal process. When its colder I'll try using the foil strips and putting my hands in latex gloves and using a hairdryer to warm my hands

I've had my current coat on for 17 days now. Obviously I do have regrowth at the bottom and a couple of tiny chips at the top (where my naturally flaky nails did what they do best!), but otherwise it's looking okay. I currently have a Nails Inc coat of colour to disguise the gaps. Normally I wouldn't try this for as long but I have a long horizontal split in the nail of my left index finger (having caught it in a door a while ago) and the gel manicure is keeping it together, where normal nail glue had failed. That crack has now almost grown out enough for me to file below it, so once it does, off will come the RCM. I'll still use my Haute Mani (especially when I need something very quick and very natural), but find that the RCM lasts much longer and has better colours and denser coverage. I'm going to try sandwiching a 'normal' nail colour between base and top coats soon.

I've had my current coat on for 17 days now. Obviously I do have regrowth at the bottom and a couple of tiny chips at the top (where my naturally flaky nails did what they do best!), but otherwise it's looking okay. I currently have a Nails Inc coat of colour to disguise the gaps. Normally I wouldn't try this for as long but I have a long horizontal split in the nail of my left index finger (having caught it in a door a while ago) and the gel manicure is keeping it together, where normal nail glue had failed. That crack has now almost grown out enough for me to file below it, so once it does, off will come the RCM. I'll still use my Haute Mani (especially when I need something very quick and very natural), but find that the RCM lasts much longer and has better colours and denser coverage. I'm going to try sandwiching a 'normal' nail colour between base and top coats soon.

I used a leighton denny colour sandwiched between RCM and the only problem I found was that the colour was not so bright, it was a new colour and I only noticed when after the first week to cover the re-growth and as I couldn't be bothered to remove it I put a coat of the LD polish over the top. The colour change could have happened under the lamp or during the week. With regards to removal I use the foil and put my hand under a microwaveable hot water bottle

The longest lasting method I've found is to just do a coat of the base coat and 2 top coats, without RCM colour. It seems to last longer because it's slightly thinner coats plus I can change to any colour polish I already own. The polish colour lasts longer than normal because the RCM top coat is v smooth and rigid but I can swap colours as often as I like. I won't bother buying any RCM colours I'll just use my huge collection of coloured polishes, and just re-purchase the top and base coat when these run out.

Non-acetone polish remover takes off the colour but doesn't touch the RCM layers beneath.

The longest lasting method I've found is to just do a coat of the base coat and 2 top coats, without RCM colour. It seems to last longer because it's slightly thinner coats plus I can change to any colour polish I already own. The polish colour lasts longer than normal because the RCM top coat is v smooth and rigid but I can swap colours as often as I like. I won't bother buying any RCM colours I'll just use my huge collection of coloured polishes, and just re-purchase the top and base coat when these run out.
Non-acetone polish remover takes off the colour but doesn't touch the RCM layers beneath.
I have been doing this for the last few weeks and LOVE it, the RCM have given my very week flaky nails strength and protection from the darker colours and I can change my nail colour every day if I feel the need very quickly and my polish seems to be going further.
I had run out of RCM remover and brought a bottle in Super Drug for under £2.00 and it is just as good as the recommended one and a fraction of the price, I use the cotton wool and kitchen foil removal method which works just fine and like many others it comes off quicker if you can keep it warm,so I am going to be using my microwave wheat bag next time.

Has anyone found an alternative to the blue liquid (that removes the sticky residue). I'm sure there must be an alternative....is it just alcohol?

Has anyone found an alternative to the blue liquid (that removes the sticky residue). I'm sure there must be an alternative....is it just alcohol?
If you have a look on amazon under Gell manicures there are a few alternatives that come up.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AN1W6JE/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003D8QFQO/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

I haven't tried any as I have found the blue liquid lasts MUCH longer than the remover.
There are also 100's of gel polishes that should work with the RCM light and all at a much better price than Q can offer.

Supedrug sells a cheap remover called "get 'em off" which is an acetone remover for gel nails etc and works well on the RCM nails. The blue RCM finishing wipe isn't acetone.

Supedrug sells a cheap remover called "get 'em off" which is an acetone remover for gel nails etc and works well on the RCM nails. The blue RCM finishing wipe isn't acetone.

Thats the one I have been using and can really recommend it to you all

Well I tell a lie, the blue Purify liquid does list acetone as an ingredient, but the main one is Isopropyl Alcohol. Might be worth trying alcohol on it's own to see if it works as the post application wipe. What's the worst that could happen?

Latest posts

Back