Richard Jackson's Flower Power

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

backstreetgirl

Registered Shopper
I'm pondering whether to get some Flower Power. I've read some of the reviews on QVC's page and looked at the worst ones first, they say that their plants didn't look any different at all and one customer said hers actually seemed worse after being fed this.

The rest seem positive, but I wondered what anyone on here thought of Flower Power. Is it actually worth going for, or could I get something similar and a lot cheaper from a garden centre? :flower:

gardening which recommend phosphrogen and b&q plant food both give excellent results and i do use spray n grow weekly this is my extra boost.

you could try the 30 day mbg but the postage price is what the garden centre fertiliser cost lol

I'm pondering whether to get some Flower Power. I've read some of the reviews on QVC's page and looked at the worst ones first, they say that their plants didn't look any different at all and one customer said hers actually seemed worse after being fed this.

The rest seem positive, but I wondered what anyone on here thought of Flower Power. Is it actually worth going for, or could I get something similar and a lot cheaper from a garden centre? :flower:

I bought the large tub of flower power when it was a TSV and can't really see any difference from not using it. Personally I would say tomato feed works just as well and is a lot cheaper and easier to use, as in, you don't have to try to get granules to dissolve.

I have always used tomato feed for all my annual bedding/container plants. I use about a quarter of the recommended amount but feed every day.

I also buy the cheapest grow bags I can find and use them to fill all my containers.

There are products out there which do work as well as Flower Power and are cheaper, any tomato feed will produce more flowers, Chempak do a high potash feed and Miracle gro has always given me good results. As Lilylurknomore also points out a liquid feed is much easier too.

I have at least thirty containers on my patio every summer, and only ever use liquid tomato feed. They always flower beautifully from May until October. I put two caps full in 7 litres of water twice a week. Before Richard Jackson put his name to Flower Power, he always advised to use tomato feed.

The secret to plant food is getting the right balance of 3 main chemicals depending on the results you require. This is shown as a ratio on the packet N:p:K being Nitrogen (for leaves, non-flowering shrubs, lawns etc, it helps produce chlorphyll). P is phosporous (sp ?) for strong roots and Potash for fruit/flowers (K is the chemical symbol).

As the name suggests, Flower Power should have a high Potash content. Whether FP is better than other fertilisers such as tomato feed will depend on how much extra Potash it contains. I've checked the QVC website and (surprise surprise) it does not quote the N:p:K ratio so there's no way to tell if it is "chemically superior".

Linda

Tomato food works well, this was recommended to me a few years ago by a lady a few streets away from me whose stunning display of tubs I had always admired. I just buy Asda's own, very inexpensive and works well. I have not conducted trials of course!!, I just feed as per instructions on the bottle and always make a note on my kitchen calendar when I have done a feed so I don't forget when next one is due.

Thanks ever so much for all your replies, they have convinced me to pop to Homebase and buy some tomato feed, I want it mainly for my roses. I had visions after seeing Flower Power of an abundance of roses but if tomato feed works just as well, then brilliant! I'll come back in about 4 weeks time and let you know how my roses are looking!

Thanks again. :)

Thanks ever so much for all your replies, they have convinced me to pop to Homebase and buy some tomato feed, I want it mainly for my roses. I had visions after seeing Flower Power of an abundance of roses but if tomato feed works just as well, then brilliant! I'll come back in about 4 weeks time and let you know how my roses are looking!

Thanks again. :)

if you have any £1 shops near you you can actaully buy some excellent branded tomato feed for a £1.

i use a general fetiliser for a few weeks to build the roots and shoots then tomato food 4-6 weeks later to bring on the flowers. my garden does look good the plants flowers are prolific and it costs me very little to feed my plants therefore i cannot justify £15 on plant food!

I bought a well known brand last year which was much cheaper but did not have the same results as Flower Power, I have gone back to it this year and my plants look much better, would definitely recommend it.

I bought a well known brand last year which was much cheaper but did not have the same results as Flower Power, I have gone back to it this year and my plants look much better, would definitely recommend it.

i would think that you do get excellent results from flower power but i get fab results from good high street brands for 15 times less money i would rather put the money towards quality variety plants but enjoy it if you can afford it enjoy the results.

I use tomato fertiliser now, found Flower Power made no difference to my plants.

I find that RJ tends to give out wrong information and don't trust anything he says now.

Latest posts

Back