Speak Proper!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My Dad was born and bred in Liverpool in 1914 but he was taken into an orphanage aged 8 and then shipped off to Canada as a Barnados boy aged 12 in 1926. He lived and worked on a Canadian farm in the middle of nowhere and the family who owned the farm spoke both English and French. Consequently my Dad learned to understand French really well.
When he turned 18 he was free to leave the farm and he then ended up heading to Alaska and working on the deep sea trawlers and then in 1939 when war broke out in Europe he decided to work his passage back to the UK and try to trace any of his siblings.
He found one of his sisters who lived in a small Lancashire village and he moved in with her and her husband. As is the way in small villages especially back then, everybody wanted to know who the new stranger was and especially as he spoke with a strange accent which was neither one thing nor the other, not a Lancs accent, not quite a Canadian accent and not quite French. Consequently the rumour mill went into overdrive and the local gossips decided he must be a spy, yes I kid you not but bear in mind it was wartime and the posters told people spies could be anywhere lol even living with my future Aunt ( I wasn`t even a twinkle in his eye then ) but he did meet my Mum there but had to convince her dad he was on our side !
He never did lose his accent and spent the rest of his life with people asking him where he was from and they never believed him when he said Liverpool.

My Dad was born and bred in Liverpool in 1914 but he was taken into an orphanage aged 8 and then shipped off to Canada as a Barnados boy aged 12 in 1926. He lived and worked on a Canadian farm in the middle of nowhere and the family who owned the farm spoke both English and French. Consequently my Dad learned to understand French really well.
When he turned 18 he was free to leave the farm and he then ended up heading to Alaska and working on the deep sea trawlers and then in 1939 when war broke out in Europe he decided to work his passage back to the UK and try to trace any of his siblings.
He found one of his sisters who lived in a small Lancashire village and he moved in with her and her husband. As is the way in small villages especially back then, everybody wanted to know who the new stranger was and especially as he spoke with a strange accent which was neither one thing nor the other, not a Lancs accent, not quite a Canadian accent and not quite French. Consequently the rumour mill went into overdrive and the local gossips decided he must be a spy, yes I kid you not but bear in mind it was wartime and the posters told people spies could be anywhere lol even living with my future Aunt ( I wasn`t even a twinkle in his eye then ) but he did meet my Mum there but had to convince her dad he was on our side !
He never did lose his accent and spent the rest of his life with people asking him where he was from and they never believed him when he said Liverpool.
Vienna what a lovely lovely story. Sad about your dad being taken for a spy but enchanting all the same.

Vienna what a lovely lovely story. Sad about your dad being taken for a spy but enchanting all the same.
He was very badly treated both in the orphanage and on the Canadian farm. The farming family were very religious and very strict and the farmer beat Dad regularly plus the farmer had 4 sons who were older than my Dad and they bullied him every chance they got. He was tied to them by Barnados until he was 18.
He was one of the youngest in his family and had an older sister, 2 older brothers and a younger sister. His Dad was killed in 1917 and his Mum became an alcoholic who deserted her kids and ran off with another man. Consequently my Dad and his younger sister were placed in an orphanage, my Dad was 8 and Aunt Lily was 6, his older sister was 13 and was sent into service as a scullery maid and his 2 older brothers aged 15 and 16 went into the forces as boy entrants. This was 1922 and they were all spread far and wide and when my Dad returned to the UK in 1939 he returned to the slum area they`d lived in Liverpool and found an elderly lady who remembered them all.
She told Dad which big house his older sister had been in service so he went there and was told she`d worked her way up to becoming cook and had stayed there until she married and moved with her husband (a game keeper) to a small Lancashire village where he worked for the local land owner. The rest is History.

Dear Lord I’ve just sat through a Bibi show with Maxine and one of the interchangeable newbies a I’ve rarely heard such a strangulation of the spoken word.
Having watched Italy win the rugby, i decided that nothing was going to ruin my day, so I have avoided going anywhere near QVC! :)

Pronunciation is way down the list of irritation when it comes to some of the new presenters. That awful Annaliese starts sentences and then misses out whole words. She also takes well known phrases and just repeats them with completely different words. I can't bear to watch her when she is on. Only yesterday I was channel flicking and she was asking a garden expert whether she had to leave on the plastic pots when planting them. Where in earth do they get these people? Dumb is not too strong a word for some of them.

Latest posts

Back