Speak Proper!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well you would hate my East London accent. I loathe it. Specially when Its been recorded. Its a particular nusiance now as I live in North West London. Where most people speak with a nice posh neutral tone. Including My children.
Honestly I'd love to have your accent. Where I'm from in the West Midlands it's a hard listen on the radio & tv😕

My mother used to call diplomas "sustificates". "Should of" should be rewarded with a day in the stocks and as much rotten fruit as possible. Another ****gripper comes at New Year, when someone - usually an elderly aunt in an effort to be amusing - asks if you've made any New Years "revolutions", and smiles at you because they know it is incorrect. :(
My mother in law used to call the casualty dept the casuality dept.

Dropping the “t“ is sometimes down to a regional accent although I don’t know if that’s the case with Laura, but just in case …… 😉

The “mispronunciations“ that I always notice are”somethink, anythink, etc” instead of using the “g“ at the end and also “should of” instead of “should have.” Maybe it’s the teacher in me. 🤔
Priti Patel is the worst anythin, nothin, workin ....

Priti Patel is the worst anythin, nothin, workin ....
I think she’s an Essex girl, or at least her constituency is in Essex.

Nothing to do with pronunciation or grammar, but it really gets my goat when presenters and guests say fabrication when they mean fabric. And they all do it 😬
I feel the same about malleable when they mean soft or flexible.

I associate malleable with beating metal into shape with a hammer (from my Latin O Level) although I suppose things have moved on in the 50 years since I was at school !

Nothing to do with pronunciation or grammar, but it really gets my goat when presenters and guests say fabrication when they mean fabric. And they all do it 😬
They do.
I find Alexa is getting worse and worse at understanding me. It used to be very accurate, and my theory is that since I first got one, there are now so many that the server can't cope. Alexa is also built into so many things these days, such as TVs and tablets.

For those who don't know, when you say something to "her" she doesn't do anything except pass it on to the "cloud" (in reality miliions of computers). The cloud then interprets what you said, finds the answer, converts it to speech and sends it back to Alexa. This is done via the internet, and may have travelled across the world and back to give you your answer. Hardly worth the effort based on the quality of her jokes if you ask her to tell one ;) Try it :)
Of course, having started this thread, I should also point out that I have also been hoisted by my own petard....when searching for answers to crosswords and using the Google microphone facility, I have watched in horror as my request appears on the screen, and it is nothink, oops, nothing like what I thought I was saying! A bit like the errors made using predictive text. Memo to self: must delete my browser history.......

I accept the regional accent explanation, and I'm not saying that all presenters should have the old-fashioned plummy posh accents. The "k" at the end of "something", "anything" and "nothing" also drive me to fits of shouting-loudly-at-the tv-even-though-I-know-nobody-can-hear-me! Could be old age, of course!
Glad it's not just me!

Mr CC says "ain't it" at times. He's from Leicester but lived most of his life in the Birmingham area. I lived 10 years in London but I still can't do the "free (three), fink (think) thing. Hey, it's the way we talk. I grew up in Lancashire and I come out with some utter nonsense sometimes as my speak is a mixture of Scots, Irish, English and Drunk 🤪

CC

2 things get on my goat

This recent thing of “she does Stacey”

Performers who end their set with “I’ve been ……”. Instead of their name I substitute prick
Not sure I understand "she does Stacey", although I recall that in my distant youth there was a "blue movie" called Debbie Does Dallas. Is there a connection?

Yes, the "I've been..." ending is irritating, but perhaps it means that the performers acknowledge the fact that they've died a death, and will now reincarnate themselves into a better act. Mind you, I don't believe in reincarnation. I didn't when I was a fly, and I don't now......

I have to mute Priti Patel and others when they pop up but they speak as they learned. What irritates me is the dropping of the ‘t’ at the end of some words by Tony Blair and some other privileged politicians. They certainly never learned that but they’ve cultivated it like some badge of cool. Wha’ I’d like them to do is pu’ an end to it! Oh and I wonder if Blair knows he says ‘by the way’ every 10 seconds😡

I have to mute Priti Patel and others when they pop up but they speak as they learned. What irritates me is the dropping of the ‘t’ at the end of some words by Tony Blair and some other privileged politicians. They certainly never learned that but they’ve cultivated it like some badge of cool. Wha’ I’d like them to do is pu’ an end to it! Oh and I wonder if Blair knows he says ‘by the way’ every 10 seconds😡
For a pedant like me, I'm surprised that I haven't noticed Blair and his MP cronies dropping the "t" at the end of words. Thank you for pointing this out. I must try harder.

Yes, Priti Patel has me pressing the mute button too, but at the moment my two "Must Mutes" are Rylan Clark Neal (who butchers the English language so well that if his media career fails, he could stroll into a job at Smithfield market) and any presenter on the E4 channel, whose life's ambition seems to be to make me investigate whether the subtitles are an accurate reflection of what is being said! :):);)

Latest posts

Back