Strictly

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I assumed a StratoBuddy was a favoured torch of yours. As in, “Oh, the remote‘s gone under the sofa again - where’s my StratoBuddy?”
The clue was in the video above. BUDDY playing his STRATOcaster guitar, just like mine.

When Cliff Richard saw Buddy's, he ordered one from the USA for Hank Marvin, reputed to be the first in the UK, as it had only recently been invented.

I assumed a StratoBuddy was a favoured torch of yours. As in, “Oh, the remote‘s gone under the sofa again - where’s my StratoBuddy?”
A coincidence that you mentioned the remote (I like coincidences).

My TV box remote has been playing up for weeks, and some buttons simply don't work, including important ones like PAUSE.

So today I googled to buy a new one. The offficial one cost £60!! But there were lots of look-alikes on Ebay, they looked identical apart from the name, so I bit the bullet and bought one! It cost me all of £8-99 with FREE postage.

5 minutes after I placed the order, my existing one started working again!!!!!

But goodness knows how long it will last, so it will be good to have a spare.

Without it, you can do NOTHING, not even turn it on. BTW it is not a so-called "universal" remote that you have to programme with codes, it is identical looking and has the same 58 buttons.

My TV box remote has been playing up for weeks, and some buttons simply don't work, including important ones like PAUSE.

So today I googled to buy a new one. The offficial one cost £60!! But there were lots of look-alikes on Ebay, they looked identical apart from the name, so I bit the bullet and bought one! It cost me all of £8-99 with FREE postage.

Without it, you can do NOTHING, not even turn it on. BTW it is not a so-called "universal" remote that you have to programme with codes, it is identical looking and has the same 58 buttons.
I can put my TV on and off manually but not a lot else. I, too, bought a replacement remote from eBay when the original one packed up about 3 years ago and it’s been fine. It says Panasonic and looks identical with the original so I never thought it might be a “fake” - I don’t think it is but as it’s ok, I don’t mind either way. You probably googled as I did and there are various suggestions of how to open them up and clean them to revive them but nothing worked for me. I also read that over time, the contacts/buttons just wear out.

I can put my TV on and off manually but not a lot else. I, too, bought a replacement remote from eBay when the original one packed up about 3 years ago and it’s been fine. It says Panasonic and looks identical with the original so I never thought it might be a “fake” - I don’t think it is but as it’s ok, I don’t mind either way. You probably googled as I did and there are various suggestions of how to open them up and clean them to revive them but nothing worked for me. I also read that over time, the contacts/buttons just wear out.
Once the new one comes, I intended to open up the old one, but didn't want to risk it before that. But as the old one has miraculously revived, I won't bother.

And is this another coincidence??? :- I've just watched a progemme about quantum physics and entanglement and how things can effect each other at great distances. For example, ordering the new remote somehow "caused" my new one to work! But although quantum entanglement seems to work in experiments, the scientists don't understand it. Their example was that if one person throws a die, and someone elsewhere also throws one, both dice keep showing identical numbers.

Once the new one comes, I intended to open up the old one, but didn't want to risk it before that. But as the old one has miraculously revived, I won't bother.

And is this another coincidence??? :- I've just watched a progemme about quantum physics and entanglement and how things can effect each other at great distances. For example, ordering the new remote somehow "caused" my new one to work! But although quantum entanglement seems to work in experiments, the scientists don't understand it. Their example was that if one person throws a die, and someone elsewhere also throws one, both dice keep showing identical numbers.
🎶 Dou-dou-dou-dou
🎶 Dou-dou-dou-dou
[The Twilight Zone music]

goes off to look up this quantum entanglement phenomenon…

Thanks. I think I’ve found it on iPlayer and it’s still available for a few weeks, yes.
Going back to my remote as above, it had been faulty for weeks. It is for my Panasonic freeview box / 3D dvd player / dvd recorder etc.

I'd found workarounds for some of the faulty buttons. For example, the UP button wouldn't work, so instead of going up one line on the progamme guide, I had to use the DOWN button dozens of times just to go up one line.

So I finally got fed up, got the model number to order, placed my order, then used my remote, and all the buttons then worked!!!!!

As I said, it was faulty for WEEKS before I ordered a new one, then it immediately cured itself.

It was as if the remote said "please don't scrap me or take me apart, I'll start working again, I'm so sorry I upset you".

What else could it be? I'm going to try this method on my faulty radio remote next.

Going back to my remote as above, it had been faulty for weeks. It is for my Panasonic freeview box / 3D dvd player / dvd recorder etc.

I'd found workarounds for some of the faulty buttons. For example, the UP button wouldn't work, so instead of going up one line on the progamme guide, I had to use the DOWN button dozens of times just to go up one line.

So I finally got fed up, got the model number to order, placed my order, then used my remote, and all the buttons then worked!!!!!

As I said, it was faulty for WEEKS before I ordered a new one, then it immediately cured itself.

It was as if the remote said "please don't scrap me or take me apart, I'll start working again, I'm so sorry I upset you".

What else could it be? I'm going to try this method on my faulty radio remote next.
:ROFLMAO: I love that I‘m not the only one who sometimes thinks inanimate objects have feelings!

My remote was/is for a Panasonic DVR/DVD box as well - another coincidence for you there (sort of). Actually, it was a TSV from QVC - must be 10 years ago plus - the dearest thing I‘ve bought/risked from QVC. I shopped around and it was by some way the best deal. It has been very good overall.

A weird thing did happen with it, though. After about 5 years, playback of my own recordings stopped working. I would press play and it played a few seconds, stopped, started again, stuck again, skipped a bit, etc. Obviously unwatchable. The DVD player was absolutely fine so I carried on using that but I thought it was done for as a PVR, which was galling as I had a few old series and special programmes recorded. Anyway, thinking I might look to get a new recorder or TV set with in-built recording function, I thought I’d just try it again a good few years later (it had remained connected and used for DVDs a few times a month). It worked fine - no sticking or anything - and I’ve been using it virtually every day since! So spontaneous repair, like your remote! I just wish I hadn’t left it so long to try again.

🎶 Dou-dou-dou-dou
🎶 Dou-dou-dou-dou
[The Twilight Zone music]

goes off to look up this quantum entanglement phenomenon…
Did you find the programme? It was called Einstein's Quantum Riddle" and here is a story for you - - - -

One day, Einstein has to speak at an important science conference.

On the way there, he tells his driver that looks a bit like him:
"I'm sick of all these conferences. I always say the same things over and over!"

The driver agrees: "You're right. As your driver, I attended all of them, and even though I don't know anything about science, I could give the conference in your place."

"That's a great idea!" says Einstein. "Let's switch places then!"

So they switch clothes and as soon as they arrive, the driver dressed as Einstein goes on stage and starts giving the usual speech, while the real Einstein, dressed as the car driver, attends it.

But in the crowd, there is one scientist who wants to impress everyone and thinks of a very difficult question to ask Einstein, hoping he won't be able to respond. So this guy stands up and interrupts the conference by posing his very difficult question. The whole room goes silent, holding their breath, waiting for the response.

The driver looks at him, dead in the eye, and says :
"Sir, your question is so easy to answer that I'm going to let my driver reply to it for me."

Did you find the programme? It was called Einstein's Quantum Riddle" and here is a story for you - - - -

One day, Einstein has to speak at an important science conference.

On the way there, he tells his driver that looks a bit like him:
"I'm sick of all these conferences. I always say the same things over and over!"

The driver agrees: "You're right. As your driver, I attended all of them, and even though I don't know anything about science, I could give the conference in your place."

"That's a great idea!" says Einstein. "Let's switch places then!"

So they switch clothes and as soon as they arrive, the driver dressed as Einstein goes on stage and starts giving the usual speech, while the real Einstein, dressed as the car driver, attends it.

But in the crowd, there is one scientist who wants to impress everyone and thinks of a very difficult question to ask Einstein, hoping he won't be able to respond. So this guy stands up and interrupts the conference by posing his very difficult question. The whole room goes silent, holding their breath, waiting for the response.

The driver looks at him, dead in the eye, and says :
"Sir, your question is so easy to answer that I'm going to let my driver reply to it for me."
I did, yes. It’s on my watch schedule, marked priority as it’s only on iPlayer for another couple of weeks.

I keep having problems with mine I am with Virgin Media

Latest posts

Back