Terrible camerawork (or selecting the camera by the director)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
It's always amazed me how bad the camerawork (or directing) is.

They regularly talk about one thing, while something else is shown on the screen, or else it is hidden behind the price box, or the writing at the bottom of the screen.

There is a prime example of this in the video of today's TSV.

The guest is describing in detail the choice of colours, and during the whole time of this the camera is showing the uncoloured option on the model's wrist.

It's often mentioned on air how the people in the gallery have been laughing and so on. I suspect there's a room full of youngsters not really paying attention to the camera output. Probably talking about Big Brother and Tweeting to their friends, while we all get to watch terrible programming. The camerawork is often atrocious. Remember when they tried to use a boom camera? It was always being dropped on the floor or crashing into the on-set furniture. Otherwise it would disappear into a pot plant, presumably the idea being it looked "artsy". I'm glad it's not just me who has noticed this.

The camera shadow thing drives me mad. Is it an error with the lighting set-up, or do the camera operatives just get into positions they shouldn't?

I expect the people filming etc are on the first run of the ladder and hope to learn about the job before working for bigger production companies.

They have to start some where and QVC is only a shopping channel after all.

I seem to notice this particularly during the Kipling hours, which are about the only ones I sit thru these days - Marie Francoise is describing the bag and presumably showing us around it while the camera remains stubbornly on the model/s displaying it - it makes me jump up and down and froth at the mouth with frustration!

There seem to be more studio glitches than just camerawork. I can't remember when I last say a show without a bunch of banging and crashing from elsewhere in the studio. Is there no concept of keeping things quiet while live? I've also noticed that you can sometimes hear subdued voices which are presumably coming from a presenter's in-ear device, or possibly a camera-person's. That's appalling studiocraft! And that shot-of-model-during-handbag-tour happens all the time. Quite often you don't have any chance to see the lining, the inner pockets, etc., without which I'm not going to buy. I nurse a suspicion that most of the production team are there on work experience...

I'm so pleased that it's not just me....I can get a bit "grumpy old woman" about stuff like this but it drives me mad too...especially the camera panning in and out of random objects on set.....:angry:

I expect the people filming etc are on the first run of the ladder and hope to learn about the job before working for bigger production companies.

They have to start some where and QVC is only a shopping channel after all.

I agree re the terrible direction but don't think the camera operators are to blame. On the contrary, I think they are top of the range as the close ups and trying to follow unprofessional presenters showing items is quite hard. they get good close ups in sometime difficult situations. Think the direction is to blame, altho it is quite hard when things are presented off the cuff, like us, they probably don't know what they are going to say next. Think some of the better presenters like Dale and Julia, yes, Julia, do help the cameras as much as they can.

I seem to notice this particularly during the Kipling hours, which are about the only ones I sit thru these days - Marie Francoise is describing the bag and presumably showing us around it while the camera remains stubbornly on the model/s displaying it - it makes me jump up and down and froth at the mouth with frustration!

Yes, I totally agree; and bags are'nt the only thing - I get frustrated at waiting to see "the other colour" in a fashion range, but its gone before the camera gets to it, and then the next item is listed on screen before we get to see it, so the camera does seem to be minutes behind.

Ok, if it IS direction then the gigglers in the gallery should be on top of their game more. Gawd with today's "instant" technology you'd think qvc would do better.

I have been in the studios at QVC and often there will be about 3 cameras working on a show but sometimes only 1 camera operator and maybe one of the other crew having to pitch in and adjust the camera. I don't think it's the fault of the guys on the studio floor. Then there will be one of the crew waiting behind the camera with the next item, ready to dash on-set and change the product. I think it's a case of too few people doing too many jobs.

For a channel that is competing against the internet and the dreaded high street for customers, you'd think that after 17+ years it would have realised that potential customers NEED to see all available options (as well as have measurements etc) in order to make a decision to buy.

Having, for example, a camera operator concentrating on the spectacular play of light on Sharon's earrings while she's showing off a blue Kim&Co top while La Roberts is desperately trying to get said camera operator to show the other colour options on the rail next to her must be as frustrating for the presenter as it is for the pitential customer.

Also, how often do you hear the apparently prepared presenter state that they have an item in a colour not represented on screen, to be told by the gallery that they don't actually have that colour, either as an example or as an option to buy? Doesn't the production team actually prepare the presenters in advance?

And FINALLY (yeah, right?), who decides what shades to call colour options for ordering? Helen Keller? :taphead: How often does a model walk on wearing something in say, lilac only for the presenter to say it's the "slate grey colour" or something equally mad? This then leads to the presenter and guest shaking their heads and apologising for confusing the viewers. If it looks like lilac then call it lilac.

Last edited:
Excellent post! I have wanted to post on this matter myself. I blame the director too. The camera should always follow whatever is being said on air as much as possible.

Trying to wean myself off shopping telly though but it is still late night that I am glad of its company.

For a channel that is competing against the internet and the dreaded high street for customers, you'd think that after 17+ years it would have realised that potential customers NEED to see all available options (as well as have measurements etc) in order to make a decision to buy.

Having, for example, a camera operator concentrating on the spectacular play of light on Sharon's earrings while she's showing off a blue Kim&Co top while La Roberts is desperately trying to get said camera operator to show the other colour options on the rail next to her must be as frustrating for the presenter as it is for the pitential customer.

Also, how often do you hear the apparently prepared presenter state that they have an item in a colour not represented on screen, to be told by the gallery that they don't actually have that colour, either as an example or as an option to buy? Doesn't the production team actually prepare the presenters in advance?

And FINALLY (yeah, right?), who decides what shades to call colour options for ordering? Helen Keller? :taphead: How often does a model walk on wearing something in say, lilac only for the presenter to say it's the "slate grey colour" or something equally mad? This then leads to the presenter and guest shaking their heads and apologising for confusing the viewers. If it looks like lilac then call it lilac.

The colour options for this ring are another case in point :nod:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukdetail/ViewO...OMMOREVIEWSCOLORSAVAILABILITYGUIDEEMAILFRIEND

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.689956.cm_scid.ItemNumberSearch

When this was being shown on TV, the presenter (Pipa, I think) had to say 'If you want the 'ruby' option, order corset mannequin'. :eek:

Go figure! :giggle:

'Corset mannequin' - brilliant! The colours and descriptions are often hilarious. There was that leather handbag a while ago in colour 'Organisation' - the guest went along with it, although it was clearly a mistake. The presenters are forever having to say things like 'If you want the pink one, order Peacock'. And whoever enters description text has never been able to spell 'ruched' properly - that drives me mad.

So agree with all the OP's. If I am interested in an item the colourway I think I want barely sees light of day before it sells out. If I couldn't go to the website I would not buy anything, although this forum actually sells me most of the things I buy from QVC with all the tip offs etc.

Latest posts

Back