TSV or OTO - Sales Pyschology?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Rebus

Registered Shopper
With all the talk of recent TSV's not being either attractive or good value I wonder whether some QVC pyschology is creeping in. This week, the final presentation of the day's TSV is not the usual 11pm slot but in an earlier hour. This is even where there are further hours of the shows e.g. Veronese. Does this mean they are hedging their bets in that the TSV probably won't sell out (although still available for latecomers) but by having OTO's as well might mean some extra (unexpected) sales. Many of the guests say 'they had no idea' that there was going to be a one time only (believe it or not!) so do you think that QVC are bearing the reduction in prices rather than the ultimate seller? I'm sure that the mark-up on items is huge so maybe a 'sprat to catch a mackerel'?:wonder:

With all the talk of recent TSV's not being either attractive or good value I wonder whether some QVC pyschology is creeping in. This week, the final presentation of the day's TSV is not the usual 11pm slot but in an earlier hour. This is even where there are further hours of the shows e.g. Veronese. Does this mean they are hedging their bets in that the TSV probably won't sell out (although still available for latecomers) but by having OTO's as well might mean some extra (unexpected) sales. Many of the guests say 'they had no idea' that there was going to be a one time only (believe it or not!) so do you think that QVC are bearing the reduction in prices rather than the ultimate seller? I'm sure that the mark-up on items is huge so maybe a 'sprat to catch a mackerel'?:wonder:

I'm not 100% sure to be honest.

Sometimes a TSV is abandoned because it doing so appallingly that it's not worth the air-time.I can't think when this has last happened, but it has happened.(maybe the first incarnation of Ped-Pro??, I'm not certain...anyway......)

Then with the case of the Veronese TSV and with other items, it might be a situation of there genuinely not being enough stock to warrant a further airing, and as air-time is so valuable it's all about shifting as much stock as you can, so then they'd better have the stock, right??

Then there are things like "advanced orders", which is another can of worms entirely.

There are people on this forum who are experts on the workings of QVC, maybe one will pop into this thread and enlighten us a bit more.:sun:

I have noticed recently that they have started doing the final presentations of the TSV's earlier and earlier.

Watched the Dennis Basso do the final presentation on the TSV today (well half watched while I read the forum here)

Then the Lulu Guiness show is on and JF "had no idea" that there would be an OTO in that show. But every time they have said that it is the final presentation of the TSV there is an OTO in every hour. There wasn't even due to be another Dennis Basso show tonight. I was shouting at the telly as she kept exclaiming "we had no idea" although Lulu didn't really try to feign any surprise.

Sometimes I think OTO's are a way of getting rid of last of stock as I have seen them sell out within seconds, where as they have to try and make a TSV last all day (so you're more likely to get a Lulu Guiness OTO that TSV as they lose less money in the long run)

When did they change the rule that the TSV doesn't have to sell out before they start doing OTO's? Does this show how the TSV's aren't as popular as before?

And breeaaath.............

I thought it had always been the case - well for yonks anyway - that after the last show of the TSV, whatever time that may be, there's an OTO in more or less every hour? I usually think these are the ones that aren't great value-wise for some reason TBH, it somehow seems like the ones they have on when the TSV has sold out quicker than they thought are better savings? Maybe thats QVC-psych too!

When I first found QVC around seven years ago there was only ever a OTO when the TSV had sold out, and that included any Advanced Order stock they had. Now the little blue 'Final Presentation' line seems to be a regular occurrence, followed by OTOs for the remaining hours. I agree these evidently more anticipated OTOs don't seem to be as good value as those that appear after a TSV has perhaps rather unexpectedly sold out. They are far less likely to be new items, implying that they are things that might be in the clearance the next day. I too love the feigned surprise of the guests and presenters when an OTO that's been lurking behind the schedule list for weeks appears! :giggle:

Latest posts

Back