Warning - Rant! (IBS/Food/Ingredients)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Peppermint, whilst soothing to colon spasms when taken it in enteric-coated capsules (like Colpermin), being an irritant can aggravate acid reflux symptoms. I have to weigh up the pros and cons of taking peppermint, if I can taste mint on my breath or when I burp it's released the peppermint oil too high up in my plumbing.

I'm so glad I had a endoscopy and colonoscopy which reassured me that I only have IBS not ulcerative colitis which slowly took my Mum's life as she wasted away unable to absorb enough from her diet to sustain her. I was so worried that my syptoms indicated I had the same condition. I tried Meberevine but this made me nauseous so now I'm taking Alverine Citrate (aka Audmonal and Spasmonal) and it's very helpful - it even soothes period cramps! I still never go anywhere without half a dozen Imodium instants!

Along with Irritable Bowel I have a hereditery liver condition (Gilbert's Syndrome) and chemicals such as mint and menthol can aggravate this condition and, weighing up the two conditions, a flare up of Gilbert's symptoms is harder to live with so I rarely take colpermin or drink mint tea these days. I'm not sure whether peppermint helps with gastric upsets (in the stomach) but if you suffer with heart-burn and acid reflux I'd proceed with caution when taking peppermint.

Jude xx

sorry to hear about your Mum Jude...and your own problems.

My oscopies only revealed that I have diverticulitis, thankfully, but thanks for your tip, I'll keep an eye on how I do with the peppermint stuff...I eat mints like snuff anyway, trying to get wind up, but perhaps I'm doing the wrong thing. Oh, doc also advised AGAINST the fizzy drinks on general health grounds, not that I drink one every night but it's handy to have by the bed when mints & Gaviscon fail. I wish I knew WHY I seem to accumulate so much air inside me!

I wish I knew WHY I seem to accumulate so much air inside me!

Just remembered that my sis-in-law who lives in Spain was investigated for this sort of problem. It was decided that she was taking in too much air whenever she ate - she has Ed Millipede nasal trouble and can't breathe through her nose.

I've tried eating slower (not that I gobble my food, I'm always last to finish), sitting up really straight, chewing more, but I'll have to try breathing thru my nose while I'm eating then!

Glad you went to the doctors, and what more can you do,you are already eating slowly and upright. Are you nervy person, sometimes, this can give you wind,
anxiety causes a lot of symptons. Maybe you have to try yoga, he he, or sitting, slowing yourself down, as you are a BusyMum, so maybe
you need to relax more :)

Glad you went to the doctors, and what more can you do,you are already eating slowly and upright. Are you nervy person, sometimes, this can give you wind,
anxiety causes a lot of symptons. Maybe you have to try yoga, he he, or sitting, slowing yourself down, as you are a BusyMum, so maybe
you need to relax more :)

lol! Nervy..I said to doc that the term "bag of nerves" was coined for me, and relaxation was a foreign concept - I've always been like it, suppose I always will be! A busy mum I once was, but am much slower now, COPD, arthur-ritis etc etc I can't rush round like I used to, but it hasn't made a lot of difference I'm afraid! I did eat my meal this evening concentrating on breathing thru my nose and guess what, when I'd finished, I burped..:happy: that's one bit I'm not storing up for later!

I have just found this thread while looking for something completely different but thought I would chuck in a contribution if I may!!

A few years ago I was told in passing (by a GP) that I probably had IBS. Nothing offered treatment wise though. I googled it (as you do!) and it made sense. It also explained all those nights as a teenager where I would lie in bed in pain and watch my stomach moving because of bloating - like something out of Alien!! I was also rushed to hospital several times with suspected appendicitis and told I had a grumbling appendix.

Anyway, fast forward to Jan 2012 when someone suggested I should go gluten free as they knew I had chronic back pain but weren't aware it was from a car accident and it had helped their degenerative disc disease. Coincidentally, two more people in the next couple of weeks mentioned similar things so I again googled it. On seeing that gluten intolerance can be confused with IBS I did a month's GF trial. Eating bread again after the month I was in so much pain I thought I was going to burst!! Made me wonder about the grumbling appendix too. Since then have been gluten free and feel much better.

A couple of months after going GF I was googling GF beer (what can I say!!) and found a website about the Paleo diet. This is seen as a fad I know by some but I thought I would try it and feel SO much better. For those who don't know it is basically no grains, no legumes, no potatoes, no processed food. Dairy is a grey area! I was a bit concerned as I have naturally low blood sugar and often got the shakes after exercise but it has not been a problem. I do occasionally have a few nachos I confess but overall get my carbs from sweet potatoes, parsnips, bananas etc.

It has worked for me and years of - how can I put this delicately? - being bunged up to the eyeballs for a week or more at a time has vanished almost overnight as has the pain and bloating. Done bu**er all for the back pain though!

Apologies for the ramble - hope it makes a bit of sense!

IBS is really only a bucket diagnosis used for symptoms which exist where no other cause can be identified. When I speak to people about my symptoms and that it's IBS they invariably say they have it too which makes me think few people are entirely happy with their digestion and bowel activity. But if you have symptoms please report them to your doctor. Bowel cancer (which everyone fears) is treatable if detected early enough, my paternal grandma had it in her 70s and lived to 87 after it was treated successfully.

I know it's embarrassing but once everything else is discounted a diagnosis of IBS will come as a huge relief. Top tip for stool samples...keep and wash out those plastic boxes chinese take aways come in (or foil ones probably would work); they wedge perfectly at the back of our toilet above the water-line, without having to hold it, so you can concentrate on the job in hand as the sample mustn't be contaminated (LOL) with water or urine from the loo bowl. Sorry if this is TMI :sad:

Jude xx

LOL! Carol. They give you the same size sample bottle they use for urine samples but with a little poop scoop (a bit like the little flat spoon you got at the cinema with a little ice cream tub!). With the best will in the world I can't even pee direct into that size pot so anything else is out of the question!

If anyone is facing a colonoscopy and needs tips about taking the laxative elimination drink you're welcome to PM me. Or I can post here with a warning for those of a delicate disposition (actually it's not as bad as the posts I read on line about it, honest)

Jude xx

I was just about to tuck into a Cadbury cream egg when I read this thread. Changed my mind now ......:wait:

what tips Jude..? The difficulty I found was drinking the quantity required...it wasn't unpleasant tasting or anything, but it was just too much.. I ended up leaving most of the final glass because I thought I'd throw up, and that would've defeated the object!

Latest posts

Back