Whoa!!! Check out the website,girls and boys!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They have spent the last several years telling how much cheaper they are than the high street, made in house etc... Such a shame another opportunity to tempt people wasted

Are they still using that idea as a selling point? Or have they changed their business model?

Certainly on air they are always saying how much cheaper they are than the High Street, but that's live games ....

I love the shop. I think there has been a gap in Gems approach to sales that this will fill. We're very lucky to have Sazza and SCW doing the items numbers for us but this can lead to a problem in itself. How to secure an item? Either an ongoing dialogue with a PS or the vague hope of seeing a favourite in a live game.
17721.gif

I've been looking out for some amblygonite. Not had a sniff of any even though the first number appeared several weeks ago. Bingo, they're all in the shop. I can see them all side by side and choose a couple of favourites and know there's less chance of seeing something better in a week's time.
satisfied_nod.gif

Ok so the prices are not so good but I would rather pay a few quid more and get a piece I'm totally happy with rather than waste P&P or settle for an item that isn't quite 'the one'. Also the fewer orders I place, the fewer items I will impulse buy or add to my basket.
yes.gif

Think of it like this too Ladies. If you drop enough hints about an item you like, OH's are more likely to surprise you with it if it involves minimal effort on their part. We can but hope!
pray.gif

Significant differences......

:mysmilie_738.gif: I've just taken a look at the 'Shop' and can see they have hiked up the prices and here's two for instances.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/NewProductDataSheet.jsp?productid=UPG2556 that I'd mentioned in the Red Andesine thread as going for £49

on the telly is.......£87 in the shop! :eek:

and.......http://www.gemstv.co.uk/NewProductDataSheet.jsp?productid=UMZ0030

which I have in my basket costing me £99 is up for grabs at £139 in the shop.

:mysmilie_691.gif: :mysmilie_770.gif: :mysmilie_691.gif:​

Those are huge differences Sacha, not good at all. I don't mind paying an extra 10% to get what I want but that's ridiculous. Let's see how long it lasts. I'm quite pi$$ed off now. :mad:

I don't want to pi$$ you off more than you are already. BC...but i have an ex-demo mintabe jelly opal pendant in my basket for £68 and the same pendant in the shop is £144 http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=114822&colourScheme=2&preweb=true

The mark-up is over 50% :eek: Guess I've got myself a bargain or this is a clever ploy to make me think I've saved £76 when I've actually spent £68. Like I tell my DH when I come back from the sales after spending lots of money on stuff I don't really need and will never use. I'm always seduced by the big mark downs :D

Last edited:
Sorry, Sammi :) I love these Mintabi jelly opals too much and goodness knows how long I'll have the opportunity to get my hands on them :confused: I've looked at my calculation about the mark-up and I'm way out...it's over 100% on the shop one, must be having a senior moment ;)

What a shame - it's such a good idea and if the prices had been reasonable, there are several pieces I'd have been tempted by. I think they must have brought back not just one, but several of those middlemen Pimms. They do seem to be moving further and further away from their original business plan and philosophies.

You know what? I think they are probably using the shop to display their goodies
but I don't think they can really be expecting anyone to buy surely?
(not us lot anyway ... we're too well clued up on their prices!)

Maybe a ploy to make people think they're getting a real bargain when an item
comes on TV at a much lower price?
I saw couple on telly yesterday & even the first price drop was a lot lower than these prices.

All the pieces I already have from those listed in the shop are priced at at least 33% more
than I payed, some almost double.

Won't bore you with a long list but one example is a ring ....
Shop price - £234
TV - sold at £179 in last 2 games
Personal Shopper price - £197

Even if you loved a piece & didn't want to risk missing it on TV
why would you buy in the shop when the PS price is so much lower?

It just doesn't make good business sense to me ....
..... if they were at PS prices then I'm sure they would sell loads.
I'm guessing many of us have our eye on bits but are not daft enough to pay those prices.

But I still like it & I really hope it stays 'cos it's nice to be able to see everything
lined up as you said BC.

Just think you need to re-think your shop pricing policy GEMS!

(oh & they need to sort out the 'metal' option box 'cos you can't switch
from one to the other without having to start all over again by going back to 'any metal))

Hope you're not too shocked by a smilie-free Lyn posting
but I have to pop out & I'm in a rush

..... don't worry I'll make up for it later
heeheehee.gif

hpyhour.gif

I can see what you're saying about the higher prices, however on Monday evening I bought a huge 5 ct uraguian amethyst from the shop for 179.00 it is arriving today:)
It was on hot rocks last night for 159.00 I considered buying it and sending back the other one, but taking into account both way postages it wasn't worth it. Anyhow it was snapped up very quickly and Ruth said there were only 8 ever made, so I am happy that for the extra 20.00 I paid I am getting my ring. I may not have been watching at a time to see the T.V game, or may have missed out anyway if someone was quicker than me.
That said obviously I would have been happier if it had been in the shop for 159.00, but assumed that the T.V games are always going to be better deals.

I can't believe haw much more expensive gems is now! there web prices are ridiculous. Could buy from the high street and save postage fees! also, their delivery is a much lower service now, Instead of knowing what day its coming, it just says 3/4 days, and i found the delivery company very poor standard indeed.