Why so many beauty products?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Huggles

Registered Shopper
I don't have a lot of money to spend beauty products, mostly buy Body Shop products and am very happy with them. My question is...if QVC has a dedicated beauty channel why are there soooo many beauty products with dedicated shows on the main channel? I rarely watch these days as very little interests me.

I've been duped in the past when I bought a Wen TSV which was absolutely diabolically bad, I then had the expense of sending it back so was out about £10 for P&p as it was used ( only once). I vowed then NEVER to buy a beauty product again which I 'could try at home and return if not satisfied'. It's not a good way to shop. I'd much rather get samples that I can try in the shop and walk away if they don't appeal. Body Shop are great for that.

If QVC have their dedicated beauty channel shouldn't they leave the main channel for other products? It's hard to tell the difference these days. Am I the only one fed-up of them? :mysmilie_51:

But they're not doing public service broadcasting. They're showing simply what sells best for them. The station is basically back to back adverts.

I guess its because its beauty month atm and beauty is there best seller. But i do agree they need more variety , id love more kitchen shows personally however i rarely watch Q anymore anyway lol.

One reason IMO, Cold Hard Cash.

Beauty sells (a lot) and I'll bet the profit they make is astronomical. But, they are a business, and they're all there to make money so from that point of view, it kind of makes sense. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

I'm as guilty as the next person for buying into the hype, so we're all to blame I suppose? (If you buy beauty products that is, obviously).

Beauty sells, simple as that. For every person who doesn`t buy into the hype ( I`m one of them ) there will be hundreds who do and will happily pay the asking price. Beauty brands are making a fortune, the profit per item is huge and they can sell many thousands of units in one day. the brands are happy, QVC is happy and many customers are happy because they`ve been told so many times that brand X is the perfect item/s for their beauty regime, they believe it. Then the day after brand Y is the perfect item then closely followed by brand Z and so on and so on.
Like taking sweeties off babies !

Well for start I am with Virgin Media, we do not get the Beauty Channel. So they would lose out big time with customers using Virgin.

Also Beauty is the biggest seller for QVC, followed by fashion and then jewellery. So of course they will go with what is making them the most money. I rarely watch QVC even beauty.

Thing is, if there weren't so many beauty items I'd probably drop in more often and would buy more. Since all the beauty stuff I rarely watch. Good for my pocket, but I guess they're losing a customer and my money is being spent elsewhere. I'm perhaps an exception and they're making more customers who spend their cash on the promise of a lotion/potion that will make them happier with their appearance.

Lately I've been happier without worrying about my appearance and have stopped dying my hair. It's completely natural and very grey. The compliments I've had has been quite overwhelming. I would urge everyone to give it a go, it changes your perspective...maybe JR could give it a try?

Thing is, if there weren't so many beauty items I'd probably drop in more often and would buy more. Since all the beauty stuff I rarely watch. Good for my pocket, but I guess they're losing a customer and my money is being spent elsewhere. I'm perhaps an exception and they're making more customers who spend their cash on the promise of a lotion/potion that will make them happier with their appearance.

Lately I've been happier without worrying about my appearance and have stopped dying my hair. It's completely natural and very grey. The compliments I've had has been quite overwhelming. I would urge everyone to give it a go, it changes your perspective...maybe JR could give it a try?

Obviously QVC are fulfilling a market need. I don`t knock anybody who wants to watch the beauty shows, that`s their choice and if it gives a person pleasure then that`s fair enough. A lot of people must love the beauty shows but I`m not one of them, I simply don`t watch them but wouldn`t condemn anybody who did.
I suppose I`m a tad lazy and follow a very simple and inexpensive regime which works for me and leaves me free to do other things. On the other hand I have a friend who loves spending hours in front of a mirror or in her bathroom and she`s a makeup and skincare junkie. We laugh at each other. I tell my husband I`ll go and put my face on if we`re going out and I`m back downstairs in 5 minutes, she tells her husband she`ll go and put her face on when they`re going out and he knows he has time for several cups of tea and to watch a DVD lol.
As for not dying hair, well a relative of mine stopped dying hers and when I recently saw her for the first time in months, I begged her to dye it again because the totally grey hair had aged her by at least 10 years. I stopped dying mine a while ago because the last time I did it the dye reacted badly with my scalp and I was dreading how much grey would grow through. Surprisingly there wasn`t too many greys but a snow white Mallen streak has grown along the front and people ask me have I bleached it in and say they like it. My Dad had the same and so has my older sister so I reckon now it`s my turn !

I'll be honest, I have Sky yet I've never, ever watched any other QVC channels except the live one, I don't know what it is but I just don't and can't be bothered watching them, saying that I don't even watch the live one much so I suppose they're trying to grab the odd channel hopper, dotting QVC channels all over the place.

There are too many gullible people with money to burn who believe all the hype and false promises surrounding the beauty industry.

I bet that if you were to ask (and be told the truth) QVC would tell you that the reason they sell so many beauty ranges, is quite simply, it is this that keeps them going, more than any other products including fashion - It has always been my belief, certainly in the past few years, and I've been there since the beginning, that all these other products i.e. gardening, fashion, homewares etc. is a mere sideline. Don't forget this is an American company, I believe the American market is very very different from our own, and I've said this before, the American, mainly women, who buy from HSN and QVC are not at all like British women (we are the more sensible and less gullable imo), and I've lived and worked in the States so can justify what I'm saying.
I love the beauty hours when nothing good is on the telly. As for the Beauty channel, I don't know what's going on there as I used to be able to watch it all day, up until around 10pm, then since last year I get a notice at 1pm on my beauty channel telling me they will 'be back at 6am', showing from 6am till 1pm, then a message comes up telling me my device is not suitable, and that I need to have an tv connected to the internet, I've never heard such rubbish in my life, there is nothing different from when I watched all day till this year, so that stint mystifies me, I only watch QVC on my telly, rarely do I watch online, and even if I did, I would not get the so called beauty channel.

The answer is in the name, if the other things they sell on QVC were big enough sellers, they too would have a dedicated channel, but viola - the Beauty Channel is alive and kicking. More chances for you to waste some money, and make QVC even richer.

I would never in a million years spend a shed load of money on beauty products, a good moisturiser does me and some SBC products, but they're more for problem solvers. We can't defy age or erase wrinkles, or even stop the ageing process (do hear that Dr Periconne?) but if people want to spend unseemly amounts of money on beauty products good luck to them. I also wouldn't spend hundreds on a bag either but people do, each to their own, life is too short so whatever makes you happy, do it.

If QVC ever exhaust the patience and pockets of all the beauty customers, that will be the time we see them withdrawing from the beauty market. Thing is, for a lot of people (not just women) it gives them a lot of pleasure to learn about and use beauty products of all types. QVC buy volumes of beauty product which enable many brands to even exist in the UK market (and the other markets they are in globally). Just think of the Elemis Christmas TSV: QVC UK are able to shift approaching 100,000 sets of that alone in a single day. QVC UK are the single biggest retailer in the world for Gatineau. We're buying, and QVC and its brands are only too happy to keep selling to us.

One of the most interesting trends is that QVC is increasingly focused on women, and the clear target for the soon-to-launch QVC France channel will be women (no DIY and gardening offerings for them). Unfortunately, this is only going to go one way, as the way men and women shop makes men a less attractive and useful target audience for them.

For many years I used nothing but Anne French cleanser and Oil of Ulay. Once I got to 45 my skin became drier than dry and sensitive and it was about that time I started looking at beauty on QVC. Over the years I have tried them all and I liked the fact that if I thought they did nothing I just sent them back (OK, I had to pay the P&P but so be it). I have found brands like Liz Earle and Decleor, both of which I use, that I didn't know existed before and they have really improved my skin. Yes, it costs money but for me, to look better is well worth the money. Vanity I know but QVC DO have good offers from time to time. I don't chop and change now, I just look for good deals on the brands I like.

CC

Latest posts

Back