Yankee Candles: Con or bargain

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greg

Registered Shopper
It's on introductory price.

It's some scented wax some small jars. Overpriced, surely? :doh:

Hmm...see i like candles, so does that make me a girl!? (btw i'm a bloke lol).

Yankee...well, got to be honest and say i like some of their candles...altho some are very artificial smelling. I also don't like the sooting they produce so tend to reduce it by burning with shades on.

I tend to burn my own organic candles as these don't produce the soot and are essential oil based and not synthetic, and i can use the wax on the body for massage (PM for details).

So...i guess i'd say not a bargain as such, but they have their place :happy:

Rich

I like essential oils in candles too!!! I think synthetic smells are just that!! Synthetic and not that good for you!! So I love candles, but don't buy Yankee. However, this choice is more expensive.

Yankee are very synthetic and use cheap wax, which may cause cancer.

I try to burn the vegtal type ones, better fragrances from them too.

Wow thats a frightening statement, can you justify and who do you recommend instead?

I'm a girl and I hate candles (sorry peeps!) just can't bring myself to like them. I blame the candle making set my mum got me for a birthday yonks ago and I think its put me off for life!

I'm a plug in diffuser type (arrgghh sacrilege I know!) lol :tongue:

Yankee are very synthetic and use cheap wax, which may cause cancer.

I try to burn the vegtal type ones, better fragrances from them too.

keyword is may,
just like going for a walk outside can give you lungcancer or being fit and running along a roadsite where you CAN inhale up to 40 000 different carcinogenic agents. There seems to be a trend towards only "natural" components being good for us, that is not always the case. I also remember the headlines of apples and potatoes giving you cancer.

Wow thats a frightening statement, can you justify and who do you recommend instead?

I think the study Donna is referring to mentioned that parafin candles CAN cause health problems in unventilated places. They made a study investigating candles burning in a small chamber surrounded by charcoal and then later analysed the charcoal. They found that in an unventilated space candles can produce toulene and benzene, amonst others, which can affect your health.

PS the chamber was 8 x 8 x 26 inches. The study was funded by a company that produces beeswax candles (!) and has still not been published - one has to question why. So no real discussion is possible on the results.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back