yap yap yap gab gab gab

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

silversequin

Registered Shopper
I am so cross!!! ****** Alison Young cannot control her flapping gob, was watching her and trying to listen to Margaret Dabbs and her instructions on how to use the kit she was demoing. Oh but Gobby kept interupting her with non stop yaking which drowned out the poor woman. Now from what I could gather over the noise it appears that Margaret really know her stuff, but she could hardly get a word in edgeways. Anyway I bought the kit as it had rave reviews on the website and I really suffer with aching feet after a day at work.But A Y oh for heaven's sake just let the guests speak. Rant over!

I totally agree with you! I was trying my hardest to listen to Margaret but couldn't because of AY. I know I'm young, but I still struggled to block out AY's voice. I think AY needs to chat less and stop talking about her personal life and attacking the models on the shows.

I was really crossed with AY last year when Michelle from Alpha-H was presenting her TSV (last AH TSV we had on auto delivery) and I really wanted to listen to Michelle but AY wouldn't shut up and let Michelle speak. I bought the TSV anyway but really wanted to know what Michelle had to say. People did complaint about it back then that AY had no respect for the guest even Michelle travelled all the way from Australia.

I am surprised QVC employ such a gobby presenter as AY.
Just the sound of her "common as muck" accent puts me off her and she always talks over guests, it makes you wonder why QVC employ her.
I really wish QVC would have a mass cull and bring some new presenters into the fold.
There is so much dead would in QVC towers!!!

I'm finding it harder and harder to watch any beauty shows when AY is presenting. She is either SO excitable or constantly interrupting the guests or shouting them down.

I wish she'd give her gob a rest and actually letting the guests get a word in. AY - you are NOT the authority on every product QVC sell. Why bother having a guest on if you won't let them speak!!!?

I am surprised QVC employ such a gobby presenter as AY.
Just the sound of her "common as muck" accent puts me off her and she always talks over guests, it makes you wonder why QVC employ her.
I really wish QVC would have a mass cull and bring some new presenters into the fold.
There is so much dead would in QVC towers!!!

I don't agree on the highlighted phrase but I cannot see the point of having an expert representing a particular product or range then not letting them get a word in.

:biggrin:I do really like Ali but she has got rather hyper over christmas, she keeps telling us what she has had to eat, what she cooked, I think Simon must be putting something in her bedtime cocoa...:biggrin:

:biggrin:I do really like Ali but she has got rather hyper over christmas, she keeps telling us what she has had to eat, what she cooked, I think Simon must be putting something in her bedtime cocoa...:biggrin:

She's not the only one, I've seen Anne Dawson a couple of times over Christmas (including this morning) and hyper sums her up exactly.

They need to sort AY's meds out & decrease her Thyroxine I think. Then she would not be such a motor mouth talking at 90 miles an hour.

They need to sort AY's meds out & decrease her Thyroxine I think. Then she would not be such a motor mouth talking at 90 miles an hour.
Probably this is not too far from the truth since they all must be running high on very strong coffees especially on early morning shows.

I've never been able to watch either AY or Anne Dawson because of their screechy voices. AY especially because she shouts over people. I have heard her for as long as it takes me to find the remote and turn the telly over.

I finally bought some Elemis last year - lovely stuff!!
Not because AY recommended it...if I hadn't gone to a spa I might never have been enlightened. I certainly have never seen one Elemis show because of AY.
I think QVC are missing out on a lot of potential sales because of AY...I know I'd tune into more beauty shows if she was consigned to the bin.

Ali thinks its funny to make comments about people - Andrew Bagleys wrinkles/haircut or one of the backroom boy staff looking like Michael Buble and being Julia's toyboy and wanting him to flash his bum(the guy looked around Dan's(Julia's son) age) she also said he had been banned from working with Julia? - all in jest but in very bad taste. Ali also makes too many references to food and what she has eaten that day - and of course her horses and dogs have got to come into every beauty show she presents - she always got to repeat that she doesn't like children. All above is not funny - if we tune into a beauty show with our actual beauty expert we expect to see and hear descriptions about beauty items.All that said i genuinely like Ali(i dont think she realises she's being annoying, she thinks she's being entertaining) and have learned so much about skincare and makeup over the 16 years i've been watching her but of late(the last couple of years) i've learned nothing other than the fact she likes dogs and horses but doesnt like children and she's fond of the occasional Yorkshire tea,minced pies with brandy butter and of course Thorntons choccies.Come on Ali bring back the old "In the Salon" Ali we all know and lovex

I really like Ali! I love watching her shows, even when its brands I am not interested in. I think she is a very genuine person who doesn't take life too seriously and likes a laugh. I have to admit, I am very much like her in the way she gently takes the mick out of people, and I know when and when not to do it, and who can take it and who can't. My students and candidates have always commented back in feedback to head office how comfortable I make them feel, and they like working with me as I am so relaxed and friendly. People who have met Ali off set always comment on how funny she is and how she is well loved. Again, it's opinion - you either 'get' someone or you don't. I get Ali and I get Anthony, whereas a lot of others don't. If I had to have a coffee with anyone from Q, it would be Ali, Anthony, Catherine and Deb F. Ooh, I can feel a whole new thread coming on!! :giggle:

I think the problem with AY is that her training in the industry is so completely out of date that she's starting to feel less sure about herself as an 'expert in all areas of beauty blah blah'. So in order to assert her authority she shouts over everyone - what she lacks in knowledge she makes up for in volume and bulls*it! She often talks complete gibberish and doesn't seem to genuinly know about new ingreeeejunts and developments in skincare, except to tell us what celebrities use it. Which actually tells us nothing.

Tx

I would think that Alison is updated /trained regularly by the representatives of the companies that have their products on QVC as they want to promote them properly. It would be an own goal if Alison gave out duff information about techniques and ingredients. As she quite clearly tries out the products and has researchers at QVC that will read up on the relevant information and latest innovations I completely disagree with RedT.

I quite like it when Alison goes off on a tangent about mulled wine or her dogs etc. It gives me a break from the hard sell and reminds me that she's a real person and not just someone trying to part me from my hard-earned cash. The powers that be really need to have a word with her about the interruptions though. She's not the only presenter guilty of constantly interrupting the guests (Ali Keenan and Jill Franks instantly spring to mind) but I have found myself switching off when she's been shouting over guests cos it's just too stressful to watch! Also, a bit less wittering about celebrities would be nice. Sure, mentioning a particular celebrity who uses a particular product is a selling point, but please just say it once not 10 times!

But what information does she actually give out? If you really listen, she spends about 70% of the time telling us how prestigious a brand is and how many celebrities use it, reading out the item number over and over and telling us to 'jump to the phones'. The rest of the time it's vague therapist speak about firming the look of lines and wrinkles (for you, on your facial area. wtf??)...nothing you won't hear on any TV commercial. She says the same about every brand or worse, often contradicts herself according to what brand she's presenting (one minute all in one cleansers are the bees knees, the next the devil incarnate).

But what information does she actually give out? If you really listen, she spends about 70% of the time telling us how prestigious a brand is and how many celebrities use it, reading out the item number over and over and telling us to 'jump to the phones'. The rest of the time it's vague therapist speak about firming the look of lines and wrinkles (for you, on your facial area. wtf??)...nothing you won't hear on any TV commercial. She says the same about every brand or worse, often contradicts herself according to what brand she's presenting (one minute all in one cleansers are the bees knees, the next the devil incarnate).

Yep - and that's why I have given up watching her now. :down:

To be honest, as much as I am a fan, I don't rate her 'knowledge'. I dont really rate any therapists 'knowledge' as lets face it girls, exfoliatiors take off dead skin cells, cleansers clean the skin, moisturisers and eye creams (and neck and bust creams - wtf?!!) moisturise. I like to hear the science behind some of the brands, but I must admit I buy for texture, fragrance, price and yes, shamefully, prestigiousness (is that a word?!!) sometimes!! I love Elemis, mainly for their frangipani stuff and their body creams, so I do tend to be biased towards them for other products. As a result I have found my fave cleanser (pro-radiance). My SIL is a beauty therapist with her own salon, and all she does for me is to recommend certain treatments, no ground breaking therapies or products, no scientific proof - it's all common sense really! Clean your skin, moisturise your skin, stay out of the sun. You can dress any treatment/product up in flowery words, but what do they really do for you that a simple, regular routine with products you enjoy won't?! And I in no way wish to offend anyone here, but beauty therapy training isn't the most scientific of subjects :smirk:

In fairness to AY, she's there to sell, sell, sell and as long as people recognise that then that's fine. But I think because of this any recommendation she gives has to be taken with a giant pinch of salt. She's not there to address our skin issues, she's there to flog us stuff.

I completely agree with you Capirossi, I choose products based on what I personally like to use and what ingredients I think work for me. AY is there to make it all sound very fancy and 'aspirational' and encourage us to buy it!

I do think some therapists are very good at their jobs and knowledgable about skincare and developments etc. In AY's case i think being updated on new products by the brands you're paid to flog doesn't count as keeping up to date!!

Tx

Latest posts

Back