OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I too am sick to death of getting e mails, and all this sudden obsession with the menopause. I’ve just read an article on QVC stories by someone called Gabriella Espinosa, and quite honestly, words fail me. I’ve no idea who this woman is, and how she is connected to QVC, but what on earth has all this got to do with a shopping channel? Has anyone else read this, what are your views? Is it just me ? I’m also getting alarmed about the way adverts on main tv channels are heading, too graphic, woman sitting on the loo, blood on period pads, men’s erectile problems etc. I know that these problems shouldn’t be hidden away, but too graphic when you’re eating, or watching tv with your 13 year old grandson!
Yikes!!!!! I notices a bloodied pad too. I'd die if watching with parents.

In Boots, the 'sanpro' area is now called Period Care - previously feminine hygiene....Fast fwd a few years & there is a huge 'X opens up about period misery' etc etc, & females sport t shirts/badges/bags with slogans like 'bleeding proud'....or something.... (sorry if pun sounds rude).
Or maybe a red lanyard/New silly pin badge (some sort of hearty uterus shape) to be worn, (optional) so we can all share when it's our 'time' & 'raise awareness'....
Fecking Hell!!!!

Yikes!!!!! I notices a bloodied pad too. I'd die if watching with parents.

In Boots, the 'sanpro' area is now called Period Care - previously feminine hygiene....Fast fwd a few years & there is a huge 'X opens up about period misery' etc etc, & females sport t shirts/badges/bags with slogans like 'bleeding proud'....or something.... (sorry if pun sounds rude).
Or maybe a red lanyard/New silly pin badge (some sort of hearty uterus shape) to be worn, (optional) so we can all share when it's our 'time' & 'raise awareness'....
Fecking Hell!!!!
Is the blood still blue?

And you CAN buy badges and t-shirts saying that you are "on" even in the present day (I think I heard it on Woman's Hour lol)

I remember the time when we didn't even dare to say 'penis', or vagina, . and yes we didn't say 'periods' it was always "I'm on". I didn't even know what a clitoris was until I was out of my teens, and even then I didn't like to ask anyone where it was !!!!!

Were we more dignified and discreet back then ? and was that a good thing ? or is it better the way society is today when everything is spoken about and we have teenagers sexting each other ?

I remember the time when we didn't even dare to say 'penis', or vagina, . and yes we didn't say 'periods' it was always "I'm on". I didn't even know what a clitoris was until I was out of my teens, and even then I didn't like to ask anyone where it was !!!!!

Were we more dignified and discreet back then ? and was that a good thing ? or is it better the way society is today when everything is spoken about and we have teenagers sexting each other ?
For me, I wish things had been a bit different when I was a child. We had a lecture about periods at school when I was 11 but none of us understood it, it was quite scientific. When mine started my mum took me to the chemist and bought me these massive, horrendous pads and just said there's no need to tell your dad. Nowhere to go to find out anything, didn't feel I could talk to my mum or any other relative about it. It was a miserable time with PMS and headaches that lasted the whole week. Could have done with a bit more openess but not necessarily as much as today.

Unfortunately, Ruth is someone I don’t enjoy watching.

I wonder if everyone attending will be given a goody bag of fish? 😉
There might be some fish left floundering (😂😂😂) down in the basement.

My company leased the building after the fish market left and the story was that the lowest level of ‘basement’ was still frozen solid after storing tons of ice for so many years.

Our company wasn’t allowed to make any permanent changes. We had to construct large ‘boxes’ on each floor and build our requirements inside those boxes, which were “plugged into” to the services & utilities in the main building. It was weird going up and down stairs, literally stepping out of the box, into the stairwell of the original building, one floor down stepping into another of our boxes. I got locked out of the boxes once, could have languished for years on that staircase.

Somewher ein th emiddle?

I think social media was pandoras box. Look how anxious everyon eis, rise of cosmetic proceedures,etc etc

Somewher ein th emiddle?

I think social media was pandoras box. Look how anxious everyon eis, rise of cosmetic proceedures,etc etc
Dodgy wrist=**** typing. Still.

For me, I wish things had been a bit different when I was a child. We had a lecture about periods at school when I was 11 but none of us understood it, it was quite scientific. When mine started my mum took me to the chemist and bought me these massive, horrendous pads and just said there's no need to tell your dad. Nowhere to go to find out anything, didn't feel I could talk to my mum or any other relative about it. It was a miserable time with PMS and headaches that lasted the whole week. Could have done with a bit more openess but not necessarily as much as today.
My mother gave me a pamphlet to read all about periods,it was hidden in a brown paper bag. I sobbed and sobbed from the trauma😭 When I did start she gave me an elasticated belt and the large pads with the loops to wear😲 Scarred for life me!

I can identify with that Mutt ! My Mum told me the basics about becoming a "woman" when I was 11 as I started to get crippling stomach pains, and as well as the 'belt' and loop pads, I was also given the waterproof pants to wear with them ! ........ they rustled when I walked :rolleyes: 😂 dear God. Mind you, I really didn't want to hear the mechanics of the sex act, so I was spared that. Mum told me not to get too close to boys, and I was always to "sit on it". Typical Northern advice that was.

I remember at that age my Mum was giving birth upstairs to my brother, I was watching tv and Dad was reading the paper (yes, really), while all the action was going on upstairs. Suddenly Dad decided to get serious, and said to me "do you know how babies are created ?" - of course I hadn't a ****** clue, but to get out of the questioning I said "yes", to which he replied "oh, good". End of conversation.

I had "the conversation" with mum while she was ironing. I was 9 years old. Just as well, really, as I was in my first bra within a few months and using tampons and sanitary pads too. I had to follow the diagram on the tampon leaflet as mum couldn't wear them (giving birth to me caused so much damage she had no muscles to hold them). Probably just as well. I think having a supervised first go would have scarred me for life!
I wonder if there will be a concerted effort for the merching of greener period products once the bandwagon for menopause has run its course? Period pants, period cups and goodness knows what else.

It clearly is a problem for some women and there is nothing wrong with making it more of an open subject and being clear there is help available. However, I do dislike the way it is now being treated like an illness that everyone must start taking drugs for, even before it actually happens. This perimenopause "phase" is very woolly in its definitions. And I am also sick of bandwagon jumping slebs making a fortune out of it. Personally I didn't suffer any bad symptoms and I don't enjoy listening to discussions about it - makes me feel quite queasy, like biology lessons.
And so many of the discussions are about 'feeling hot,' and everlasting moaning about 'poor us.' This will be an unpopular comment, maybe, but I say, "Get on with it."

Latest posts

Back