OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Another 'Mum' gem, was that tampons were only used by married ladies.

In my late teens I decided I'd had enough of pads, and decided to give tampons a go. (I was still 'in tact' at this age). I bought a pack and spent a good part of an hour in the bathroom trying to insert the dam things. Several times I thought I had got it in, but couldn't sit down, so out it came. By this time the sweat was pouring out of me. Mum came in, and saw me with one leg on the toilet seat and the discarded remains of several tampons on the floor.

She said "what in God's name are you doing ?". I wailed that I was trying to put a tampon in. She told me to forget it as I was clearly in a state. Which I did, and it was years before I attempted THAT again.

I see Lisa, I dated George Clooney, Snowdon is taking a break from the menopause bandwagon to become the face of Prai so no doubt she will get the Q BA gig for that - she no doubt will kill two birds with the one stone all whilst wearing a top down to her waist and a hem up to her panty line

Another 'Mum' gem, was that tampons were only used by married ladies.

In my late teens I decided I'd had enough of pads, and decided to give tampons a go. (I was still 'in tact' at this age). I bought a pack and spent a good part of an hour in the bathroom trying to insert the dam things. Several times I thought I had got it in, but couldn't sit down, so out it came. By this time the sweat was pouring out of me. Mum came in, and saw me with one leg on the toilet seat and the discarded remains of several tampons on the floor.

She said "what in God's name are you doing ?". I wailed that I was trying to put a tampon in. She told me to forget it as I was clearly in a state. Which I did, and it was years before I attempted THAT again.

Your experience echoes my own except I'd nagged my mum to get me a box (Lil-lets - I think she did that deliberately to try to put me off) and she left it in the bathroom in full view (another attempt to put me off).

I didn't give up, though. I kept trying and it was the best thing I'd ever done. By the age of 12, I'd had enough of the loathed pads and was determined to be more like my older sister (she used Tampax but I didn't know the difference).

She also told me not to tell my nan I'd started periods as she'd ban me from bathing and washing my hair for the week! I was shocked to find out that tampons used to only be sold to married women.

If I was giving advice to a girl or young woman I'd tell her to use lube on the tampon (not sure it can be done with applicator types, though). It helps anyone who gets bouts of thrush due to being too dry. I'd also tell girls using pads to fold a few pieces of loo roll up and wedge them so they form a wick to the pad as the number of times I woke halfway through the night to find I'd leaked up my bottom was depressing. Sleeping on folded towels didn't help much either.

Any other 'mum' gems?

Menopause being used repeatedly on the Korres TSV show by Jill. She loves every brand of skin care she is showing and always uses it, she states. Wonder if she ever buys it or uses all the free samples she gets to try.
She did mention that the korres blur was going in her bag too many freebies for the presenters

Yes, when AY was doing the 9 pm launch I knew the moment I say the name of the products' menopause is who they were aiming it at. But of course she was pushing to everyone to use.
Even men 🤣everything is gender nuteral to her

Alison Young has really irritated me regarding her "wokeness". Even when its not needed or appropriate she has to put her clangers in. Give it a break Alison your doing my head in. There said it!
Spot on I think we are sick of it all now

Blimey nearly everything on qvc now has menopause included in the sale pitch even sketchers I kid you not 🤣 and the same on tv adverts same old products but with new packaging with menopause mentioned
Supposedly, Skechers will stop you getting hot. What a load of rubbish. You can't have much respect for presenters at QVC who babble such nonsense.

I see Lisa, I dated George Clooney, Snowdon is taking a break from the menopause bandwagon to become the face of Prai so no doubt she will get the Q BA gig for that - she no doubt will kill two birds with the one stone all whilst wearing a top down to her waist and a hem up to her panty line
Face of prai?? Face (full) of work!!

Prai have a meno range. Even fecking Pantene have meno shampoo (eh?) & Davina is 'touring' with menopause show. WTAF??? What fools will pay to go see her?

Yes, alter ego, my granny said I could not wash my hair when I was on my period. Not sure about having a bath?

I know when I got older, the nicest way to feel clean when having a period was having a bath and washing my hair.
I seem to remember my grandmother coming out with that "gem"! Oooh my days, I remember being that age, and various people whispering "are you prepared" and I wasn't! One day I came home from school to find a packet of sanitary towels plonked on my dressing table, I was about 12 at the time and I was almost 15 before I actually needed to crack open the packet!! However, curiosity got the better of me and I cracked the packet open long before then and tried one on and didn't enjoy the bunge and couldn't rip it off quick enough! When the time came I put up with them for a while until one of the girls at school put a packet of Lilets proudly on the table when she was getting something out of her bag...we were wowed, so we all went out and got them. I was a bit squeamish about putting my finger where the sun don't shine, but I gave it a go, but the experience gave me the collywobbles, so I tried Tampax instead with the applicators and that was me sorted!
My mate's mum was really old fashioned and insisted on her using the pads as she thought tampons weren't "proper", however her older sister used to sneak them to her. Quite often her mum wouldn't let her out, or write her a note as to why she couldn't do P.E at school. I remember she would say she's "poorly" this week!
I have never had a particularly bad time with periods, but boy I was glad to see the back of them!

Yep ! I'm another who couldn't wash my hair or have a bath at that time of the month.

Oh, here's a good one I remember. My granny said it wasn't wise to enter a butchers if you were 'on', as it turned the meat bad 😂 😂 😂 Where did they get these absurdities from ? I suppose gossip in those days was their form of social media Lol !!!

I gave up doing anything more than a trim some time ago so still get caught out with a sticky hair yank from the sides occasionally.

I started my periods when I was 8. I had no idea what was happening and tried hiding my pants as I was both scared and inexplicably embarrassed. I had no idea why I thought it was shameful, just that I did. The penny finally dropped for my mum when I had a flood that was pointed out by my friends who thought I'd somehow cut myself and was dying! She left it to my older sister to tell me so I had the barest of bones explanation.

They were an absolute nightmare for me. I had to cope with the string belt variety for the first few years which was bad enough. My mum assured me my female teacher was aware but I begged her not to tell our male headmaster out of embarrassment. That became a big problem for me when swimming lessons started. It was okay when my female teacher came with us but I so vividly remember the day I started on the bus on the way to the pool and the male head was with us. I refused to come out of the changing room as I was horrified at the thought of turning the pool water red! The head marched into the changing room, grabbed me and pushed me against the wall then started shouting in my face. I was terrified but still refused to go out at which point he punched me and then stomped out. I'd also refused to tell him why.

I told my mum when I got home as she wanted to know why my swimsuit wasn't wet. She was furious as it turned out he had been made aware of my situation. The last few years of Primary being the only girl having periods was pretty ****** miserable. No girl should have to go through that with the feeling of shame made worse by an adult ever.
😮🤬

Yep ! I'm another who couldn't wash my hair or have a bath at that time of the month.

Oh, here's a good one I remember. My granny said it wasn't wise to enter a butchers if you were 'on', as it turned the meat bad 😂 😂 😂 Where did they get these absurdities from ? I suppose gossip in those days was their form of social media Lol !!!
My friend wasn't allowed to get anything out of the fridge when she was on her period!!!

Latest posts

Back