I think the feedback is getting through

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

OrangeLady

Registered Shopper
Our favourite purveyor of jade is on right now. It's a serpentine hour. He's just said "western gemologists wouldn't consider this jade".
But he's "immersing us in the east" and if you search for new jade you'll get results for serpentine but "this is the oldest jade".

I don't quite know what to believe based on that introduction.

It'll be interesting to see what's written on the CoAs, and what prices they go to.

He's assured us he's selling it as serpentine...

Maybe not.
"Serpentine jade"

This is the opening price.

"Urge you to multibuy".
Jeez.

Screenshot_20240501_132808_Chrome.jpg

£179 the closing price.

I've only ever seen serpentine as tumblestones for £1, so no idea how a bangle should be priced.

and...
View attachment 28463
but also
View attachment 28468
and
View attachment 28469
£199 is a punt, in anyone's book, Shirley?
Did someone say they are so down on their luck they are now selling onyx that is so far from jewellery quality they build stuff with it? But calling it Jade. IF the chinese don't think it's not gem quality, they must be falling off the great wall in hysterics knowing some amateur westerner is taking it off their hands. Not, me, but who ya gonna nominate to tell Gemporia and the master seller DT?

This guy is an absolute shyster and a total fraud. He knows full well that what he's flogging is not Jade.

Those Chinese lab certificates that he relies on so much are not worth the paper that they're written on.

No credible lab such as the GIA or the IGI would EVER certify these as Jade.

Serpentine is a stone in its own right - and not even closely linked to Jade.
Quartzite Jade is Quartzite - it is not Jade.
Onxy is a stone in its own right - it is not Jade.
Maw-Sit-Sit is a stone in its own right - it is not Jade.

Surely this goes beyond trading law - it should be a criminal offence because it is OBTAINING MONEY BY DECEPTION - ie, he is knowingly trying to pass off something as Jade, that he knows full well isn't Jade. It is FRAUD!

EDIT: I'm reporting him / Gemporia to Action Fraud. Enough is enough of this misleading s**t.

This guy is an absolute shyster and a total fraud. He knows full well that what he's flogging is not Jade.

Those Chinese lab certificates that he relies on so much are not worth the paper that they're written on.

Surely this goes beyond trading law - it should be a criminal offence because it is OBTAINING MONEY BY DECEPTION - ie, he is knowingly trying to pass off something as Jade, that he knows full well isn't Jade. It is FRAUD!

EDIT: I'm reporting him / Gemporia to Action Fraud. Enough is enough of this misleading s**t.
They had quartzite jade on again I think yesterday if memory serves.

Wow. They have been told about this. They have been warned about this. Yet, they are still doing it. Their hubris is overwhelming. Either they think they are legally covered and untouchable, or the writing is already on the wall and they don't care. Un-friggin'-believable.

They don't seem to care. The warnings are not deterring them.

I'm escalating it to Action Fraud now. I will not stop pestering various authorities until Gemporia are stopped from misleading because their sheer contempt for their customers is shocking.

Agree 100%. Disgraceful behaviour - do not believe ANYTHING that man says!

it’d be interesting to know what stone the so called serpentine Jade bangle is really made of seeing that there is no such thing as serpentine jade. I only ever bought one item from them many years ago, a yellow dendritic quartz pendant. It’s set in silver and cost me £12.

it’d be interesting to know what stone the so called serpentine Jade bangle is really made of seeing that there is no such thing as serpentine jade. I only ever bought one item from them many years ago, a yellow dendritic quartz pendant. It’s set in silver and cost me £12.

It will just be Serpentine. A relatively inexpensive stone that is not even in the same group of minerals as Jade.

Jade is also fairly durable at 7 on the Mohs scale - but Serpentine is soft and only 3 on the Mohs scale and can be scratched by a fingernail.

So people think they're getting and a durable and fairly scratch resistant stone - but in reality, they're actually getting the opposite.

It will just be Serpentine. A relatively inexpensive stone that is not even in the same group of minerals as Jade.

Jade is also fairly durable at 7 on the Mohs scale - but Serpentine is soft and only 3 on the Mohs scale and can be scratched by a fingernail.

So people think they're getting and a durable and fairly scratch resistant stone - but in reality, they're actually getting the opposite.
Thank you. I thought that might be the case.

Just because I'm here, and do most of my 'talking' in this forum, there am I looking, with one eye at a rerun of Diamonique on QVC. It has Ruth in it, so there's the link :p Anyhoo, her sidekick mentioned the metal on the ring. Saying, they could have 'shaved' some metal off to make them cheaper, but haven't. Can you imagine our beloved Gemporia telling you that, or even suggesting they would do that?

Just because I'm here, and do most of my 'talking' in this forum, there am I looking, with one eye at a rerun of Diamonique on QVC. It has Ruth in it, so there's the link :p Anyhoo, her sidekick mentioned the metal on the ring. Saying, they could have 'shaved' some metal off to make them cheaper, but haven't. Can you imagine our beloved Gemporia telling you that, or even suggesting they would do that?
You can see in the inside of ring bands and metal bangles that they're pretty hollow. Which is probably why presenters rarely show you anything but them "face on" to the cameras.

And Gemporia presenters never ever mention stone treatments, unless it's to occasionally emphasise how natural any on-air gem may be, so they're absolutely definitely never going to mention how little precious metals an item may have.

Well, except for Lindsay Carr, who will happily describe a piece having less than 2g of precious metals as having a "luxury" amount of it.