Acer Laptop TSV 02/07/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Acer 15.6" Laptop with AMD A9-9410 Processor 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD 128GB SSD & Case
Item Number: 508282
QVC Price £463.00
Todays Special Value Price £399.96
P&P £9.95

The multi-tasking Acer E5 laptop boasts the very latest AMD A9-9410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics to smoothly handle all your daily tasks, combined with the new 8GB DDR4 RAM, an impressive 1TB HDD and 12GB SSD Dual Drive, plus the Windows 10 operating system thats packed with great features. A smart and reliable combination of power, performance and great multimedia enjoyment for all the family, this all-round Acer laptop is great for home, and with a stylish Targus bag included - for when you're on the go too.
AMD technology - enjoy enhanced photos, movies and games with the phenomenal discrete-level performance of AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics. The AMD StartNow technology is designed to deliver better system responsiveness by minimising the time to wake up the system from sleep mode, boot the system to desktop and connect to a wireless local area network. Get a performance boost of up to 3.5GHz, where and when you need it, with responsive power from AMD Turbo Core Technology. QVC are part of the UK launch of this very latest 7th Generation AMD A9 processor as well as the new Acer E5 chassis.

Power and performance - whatever computing you're doing, you can expect a smooth multitasking experience with enhanced speed and graphics capabilities thanks to the very latest 7th Generation AMD A9-9410 APU with AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics and 8GB DDR4 RAM which will deliver a higher performance with lower power consumption.
Fantastic visuals and entertainment - view your content on the anti-glare High Definition Matte display which delivers a more comfortable everyday experience in normal and bright light. Plus you can enjoy watching your movie collection on the integrated SuperMulti DVD Optical Drive with improved audio thanks to Acer TrueHarmony technology which provide louder and clearer sounds for more immersive entertainment. You can also enjoy watching content on a High Definition TV or projector by connecting an HDMI cable (sold separately) between your laptop and the screen.

Stay connected - the Acer E5 features built-in, fast and reliable A/C wireless networking so you can stay connected whilst moving around the house or office and when you’re at your desk you can use the Ethernet hard wire connection for even more speed and stability. It also has three USB ports (one of which is high speed USB 3.0) and a useful SD card reader, perfect for transferring photos from your camera.

New dual storage - the 1TB hard drive plus 128GB solid-state drive promise some of the performance of a solid-state drive with the capacity of a hard drive. This hybrid drives automatically caches data in the solid-state storage for you, offering faster speeds for the files you use most.

Windows 10 - the Windows 10 Home operating system cleverly combines the best features of Windows 7 and 8, allowing for fun, intuitive and productive computing whatever your experience level. It's the Windows you know and love - but better!

High Definition Matte display - with anti-glare for more comfortable use in normal and bright light
HP HD Webcam - perfect for keeping in touch with friends and family, this built-in webcam supports High Dynamic Range imaging, for clearer photos and quality video calls
Acer TrueHarmony audio - provides louder and clearer sounds for more immersive entertainment
HDMI connectivity - connect to a big screen TV for true 1080p resolution and a cinematic experience (1080p TV required and HDMI cable not supplied)

What’s in the box?

Acer E5 Laptop
1 x AC power adaptor
1 x warranty booklet
1 x setup guide

Added value

Targus 15.6" laptop case

Direct despatch: please allow 5 – 7 working days for delivery. UK mainland only

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.508282

Acer 15.6" Laptop with AMD A9-9410 Processor 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD 128GB SSD & Case
Item Number: 508282
QVC Price £463.00
Todays Special Value Price £399.96
P&P £9.95

The multi-tasking Acer E5 laptop boasts the very latest AMD A9-9410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics to smoothly handle all your daily tasks, combined with the new 8GB DDR4 RAM, an impressive 1TB HDD and 12GB SSD Dual Drive, plus the Windows 10 operating system thats packed with great features. A smart and reliable combination of power, performance and great multimedia enjoyment for all the family, this all-round Acer laptop is great for home, and with a stylish Targus bag included - for when you're on the go too.
AMD technology - enjoy enhanced photos, movies and games with the phenomenal discrete-level performance of AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics. The AMD StartNow technology is designed to deliver better system responsiveness by minimising the time to wake up the system from sleep mode, boot the system to desktop and connect to a wireless local area network. Get a performance boost of up to 3.5GHz, where and when you need it, with responsive power from AMD Turbo Core Technology. QVC are part of the UK launch of this very latest 7th Generation AMD A9 processor as well as the new Acer E5 chassis.

Power and performance - whatever computing you're doing, you can expect a smooth multitasking experience with enhanced speed and graphics capabilities thanks to the very latest 7th Generation AMD A9-9410 APU with AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics and 8GB DDR4 RAM which will deliver a higher performance with lower power consumption.
Fantastic visuals and entertainment - view your content on the anti-glare High Definition Matte display which delivers a more comfortable everyday experience in normal and bright light. Plus you can enjoy watching your movie collection on the integrated SuperMulti DVD Optical Drive with improved audio thanks to Acer TrueHarmony technology which provide louder and clearer sounds for more immersive entertainment. You can also enjoy watching content on a High Definition TV or projector by connecting an HDMI cable (sold separately) between your laptop and the screen.

Stay connected - the Acer E5 features built-in, fast and reliable A/C wireless networking so you can stay connected whilst moving around the house or office and when you’re at your desk you can use the Ethernet hard wire connection for even more speed and stability. It also has three USB ports (one of which is high speed USB 3.0) and a useful SD card reader, perfect for transferring photos from your camera.

New dual storage - the 1TB hard drive plus 128GB solid-state drive promise some of the performance of a solid-state drive with the capacity of a hard drive. This hybrid drives automatically caches data in the solid-state storage for you, offering faster speeds for the files you use most.

Windows 10 - the Windows 10 Home operating system cleverly combines the best features of Windows 7 and 8, allowing for fun, intuitive and productive computing whatever your experience level. It's the Windows you know and love - but better!

High Definition Matte display - with anti-glare for more comfortable use in normal and bright light
HP HD Webcam - perfect for keeping in touch with friends and family, this built-in webcam supports High Dynamic Range imaging, for clearer photos and quality video calls
Acer TrueHarmony audio - provides louder and clearer sounds for more immersive entertainment
HDMI connectivity - connect to a big screen TV for true 1080p resolution and a cinematic experience (1080p TV required and HDMI cable not supplied)

What’s in the box?

Acer E5 Laptop
1 x AC power adaptor
1 x warranty booklet
1 x setup guide

Added value

Targus 15.6" laptop case

Direct despatch: please allow 5 – 7 working days for delivery. UK mainland only

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.508282

Do you know if it is going to be on eassy pay and if so how many?

This isn't an 'amazing' deal but it's not bad though, not bad at all. But don't fall for Snake Eyes Lee's guff about the 'miracle' processor and it not being available with it elsewhere, it's pure QVC 'differentiating' spiel and it really doesn't matter.

From early benchmark tests the AMD A9-9410 Processor only appears to be as powerful as the proven Intel i3' Processor, if that. This machine is widely available elsewhere but with equally good, or better, Intel processors.

But the price is definitely comparable with the market and it does have the extra 128GB Solid State Storage which for once is decent added value, and Targus Cases are usually good quality. Personally i'd shop around and plumb for one with an i3 or even better an i5 but that's just my opinion.

As Lee always says you can change lots of things in a machine but the one thing you can't change is the processor! :mysmilie_59:

This isn't an 'amazing' deal but it's not bad though, not bad at all. But don't fall for Snake Eyes Lee's guff about the 'miracle' processor and it not being available with it elsewhere, it's pure QVC 'differentiating' spiel and it really doesn't matter.

From early benchmark tests the AMD A9-9410 Processor only appears to be as powerful as the proven Intel i3' Processor, if that. This machine is widely available elsewhere but with equally good, or better, Intel processors.

But the price is definitely comparable with the market and it does have the extra 128GB Solid State Storage which for once is decent added value, and Targus Cases are usually good quality. Personally i'd shop around and plumb for one with an i3 or even better an i5 but that's just my opinion.

As Lee always says you can change lots of things in a machine but the one thing you can't change is the processor! :mysmilie_59:

Yep I was thinking the exact same. When it comes to tech I like to keep my 'finger on the pulse' (sorry!), but I am interested in not only what tech Q tries to 'flog' to the unsupecting Q buyer but also what for the price they could have purchased in the 'real world'! Having said that for the price this isn't that badly specced. The chip 'the brain', is only dual core but it is a modern efficient dual core, so for very general everyday computing it should be fine. The addition of the SSD is good for the price (though this does indicate that this is becoming the 'norm'), 8gb is about what you would expect nowadays (though Q do still flog a lot with 4gb, which in my mind even for everyday general surfing is a tad underpowered given what we 'expect' of our computer nowadays.

When I 'geekbenched' it (well went on that particular website, it was in the upper lower end of the new raft of the budget range. Please tell me that last sentence makes sense!

I suppose as always Q are playing to their audience, they know that the average person watching will just want a general purpose machine which lasts a while and can do general purpose things. It is just when Lee talks about being able to play mid to high end games and edit HD footage, that kind of makes me think he is possibly breaching the 'advertising code'

I know it is spiel (which I found out yesterday was German for 'game' (sorry my useless fact of the day), but at the end of the day it is this 'spiel' that are less clued up will be purchasing on.

I wonder though if they have 'turned the corner' as there was no 'red bit of paper' there, extolling the virtues of a certain 'tech crew'! Yeah I know it will be back on the next Apple TSV as 'added value', to try and 'cushion' the eye-watering price that they sell that piece of 'fruit' for!

Yep I was thinking the exact same. When it comes to tech I like to keep my 'finger on the pulse' (sorry!), but I am interested in not only what tech Q tries to 'flog' to the unsupecting Q buyer but also what for the price they could have purchased in the 'real world'! Having said that for the price this isn't that badly specced. The chip 'the brain', is only dual core but it is a modern efficient dual core, so for very general everyday computing it should be fine. The addition of the SSD is good for the price (though this does indicate that this is becoming the 'norm'), 8gb is about what you would expect nowadays (though Q do still flog a lot with 4gb, which in my mind even for everyday general surfing is a tad underpowered given what we 'expect' of our computer nowadays.

When I 'geekbenched' it (well went on that particular website, it was in the upper lower end of the new raft of the budget range. Please tell me that last sentence makes sense!

I suppose as always Q are playing to their audience, they know that the average person watching will just want a general purpose machine which lasts a while and can do general purpose things. It is just when Lee talks about being able to play mid to high end games and edit HD footage, that kind of makes me think he is possibly breaching the 'advertising code'

I know it is spiel (which I found out yesterday was German for 'game' (sorry my useless fact of the day), but at the end of the day it is this 'spiel' that are less clued up will be purchasing on.

I wonder though if they have 'turned the corner' as there was no 'red bit of paper' there, extolling the virtues of a certain 'tech crew'! Yeah I know it will be back on the next Apple TSV as 'added value', to try and 'cushion' the eye-watering price that they sell that piece of 'fruit' for!

They try to dazzle, or should I say bamboozle, with the processor talk and it's right you won't see this particular processor I. This widely available machine elsewhere.

But yor absolutely right, this is a lower end and largely unproven in the marketplace processor and the benchmark tests did certainly indicate it to be approaching the capacity of the i3, which is a capable chipset.

But it's a decent to good deal though and as you say the addition of the SSD is a boon for faster Operating System loading. Personally for the same price I'd go for one with the proven i3 and forgo the SSD which isn't vital, but nice all the same :mysmilie_59:

I'm tempted. I have a 9 year old acer laptop that has been on 37.5 hours a week for the past 4 years as I use it as a second work lap. Still works fine albeit a bit slow. My Lenovo thinkpad has to be surrendered as I am taking voluntary redundancy at the end of July and it is the laptop that I do my banking and Internet surfing when I am not using my iPad.
As my old acer has done such sterling service and I know so little about hardware I think today's TSV could be a good all rounder. I have plenty of laptop bags so no need for that.

*** edited

Just had a quick Google and I can see that there are loads of cheaper laptops around that will meet my basic requirements. I hardly store anything on it and I don't do any gaming. Will look for an i3 or an i5 Intel processor. My current acer has an AMD Turion 64bit chip but is still running an XP operating system. I upgraded the RAM to 128mb!

I'm tempted. I have a 9 year old acer laptop that has been on 37.5 hours a week for the past 4 years as I use it as a second work lap. Still works fine albeit a bit slow. My Lenovo thinkpad has to be surrendered as I am taking voluntary redundancy at the end of July and it is the laptop that I do my banking and Internet surfing when I am not using my iPad.
As my old acer has done such sterling service and I know so little about hardware I think today's TSV could be a good all rounder. I have plenty of laptop bags so no need for that.

*** edited

Just had a quick Google and I can see that there are loads of cheaper laptops around that will meet my basic requirements. I hardly store anything on it and I don't do any gaming. Will look for an i3 or an i5 Intel processor. My current acer has an AMD Turion 64bit chip but is still running an XP operating system. I upgraded the RAM to 128mb!

It's a decent deal but as you say there are a multitude of laptops available out there and if a cheaper model meets your needs it doesn't make sense to get this offer.

Personally I'd never, ever have any need for anything approaching 1 TB of storage. The SSD is a nice bonus but not essential. I would always look to more RAM and, most importantly, as good a processor as I can stretch to :mysmilie_59:

*** edited

You see how that is how 'Q' gets people, it makes sound like it is the latest and greatest (which of course to a certain extent it is going to be given that it is a new machine), but as Q is not specifically a tech store, it will just go with a 'general purpose' comp at a price-point they [Q] thinks is acceptable. For that I suppose it kind of hits the mark, but as you stated a general hunt around and you can garner more for the same price point or for a few pounds more, you can garner a lot more. I for example got my latest laptop from 'Very' and as there was also a price promotion on (which was possibly why I bought the one I did over the 'super-duper' (in my eyes) one), was still good spec and of course could pay for it over 12 months, four times longer than Q!

So yep my answer is always to 'shop around', Q have these 'exclusives' so they can play on the less techie minded and 'spiel away' thus punters think they have a really good deal!

Lee Holbien (Tech Guy)

I can tell I am tired as I have entered into the 'sad moment' part of the day, where just before I log off for the day, I do something randomly 'sad'. Depending on how tired I am will dictate also how 'sad' I am. I will leave it to you to decide how 'tired' I was.

I thought that given that Lee Holbein is the 'trusted' Q tech guy for many years, to do a little bit of research upon the guy. I did and found the usual social media feeds, but I also found something very 'interesting' (well interesting in the can I really trust him as the tech guy (well not that I do that much anyway as prefer to do my own research), but I found his own website http://www.leehohbein.com and I have never before come across so basic a website. The TSV that was photographed on the home page was from about 6 years ago (curiously enough another Acer laptop), but the second page was just in 'random latin', I know when I did my web-page coding for one of my assignment (believe you me it was a very basic introduction otherwise I would be making a 'ton of cash'), that this was the 'default' before the user changed it.

I am shocked that given he is a 'tech guy' that this website is so very basic, almost I would have thought an embarrassment, it doesn't seem to be updated or anything, whether he has 'forgotten' about it or doesn't care I obviously don't know, but either way it kind of devalues his already 'tenuous trust' in my eyes!

Sorry rant over and goodnight from her!

Lee Holbien (Tech Guy)

I can tell I am tired as I have entered into the 'sad moment' part of the day, where just before I log off for the day, I do something randomly 'sad'. Depending on how tired I am will dictate also how 'sad' I am. I will leave it to you to decide how 'tired' I was.

I thought that given that Lee Holbein is the 'trusted' Q tech guy for many years, to do a little bit of research upon the guy. I did and found the usual social media feeds, but I also found something very 'interesting' (well interesting in the can I really trust him as the tech guy (well not that I do that much anyway as prefer to do my own research), but I found his own website http://www.leehohbein.com and I have never before come across so basic a website. The TSV that was photographed on the home page was from about 6 years ago (curiously enough another Acer laptop), but the second page was just in 'random latin', I know when I did my web-page coding for one of my assignment (believe you me it was a very basic introduction otherwise I would be making a 'ton of cash'), that this was the 'default' before the user changed it.

I am shocked that given he is a 'tech guy' that this website is so very basic, almost I would have thought an embarrassment, it doesn't seem to be updated or anything, whether he has 'forgotten' about it or doesn't care I obviously don't know, but either way it kind of devalues his already 'tenuous trust' in my eyes!

Sorry rant over and goodnight from her!

He looks like a Bingo Caller on some of those pics which seems more plausible than him being a Tech Expert. 'It's made from a single piece of Aluminium' is about a technical as he gets.

He seems good at applying mascara though :mysmilie_59:

He looks like a Bingo Caller on some of those pics which seems more plausible than him being a Tech Expert. 'It's made from a single piece of Aluminium' is about a technical as he gets.

He seems good at applying mascara though :mysmilie_59:

Yep, bingo caller, in make-up and drag, that's who Q entrust with their tech!
I mean today he did a 'quote' for today's TSV, so there really must be something in the whole 'feminine side' of things, in his case not necessarily sure whether that is a good thing!

I think I have found actual proof that 'Q people' may actually read these articles, as, as you know yesterday I mused on the 'tech guy's' website and how the 'about' section was just a 'stock' page that was just a couple of pictures and that is it, well 'wam bam' today there is a link (albeit broken), but a link never the less to his facebook feed. Hmm I do not think 'coincidence' has played a part here!
The only thought that does worry me now though is that if 'Q people' do read these forum sites, how they feel about us gently 'Q baiting', I now feel real guilty so I am genuinely going to stop posting on this site.

So yep, the above is my last ever post. Been nice 'meeting you all'!

Aw no need to stop, I mostly have a dig at QVC the Company rather then the individual presenters, they're just trying to flog stuff and keep their sales to a QVC-acceptable level, and sure enough some of them have an annoying way of going about it. But behind the scenes the customer care is patchy or non-existent and the whole company structure is so dated. So there's plenty on which to comment. No need to leave.
I asked Craig how he felt about the posts on here and he said he found it best not to read. However years ago when I was at Marco Polo House they freely admitted to monitoring online comments and they also had a live feed of Ideal World playing in one gallery area. While they're still turning a profit they won't change.

OK so the avatar pictures of Lee Ho are less than flattering but he uploaded them to facebook so must want them to be looked at! :mysmilie_59:

The irony is with 'Lee' is that along with most of the other 'experts' (save maybe some of the skin product people) there's absolutely no need for them to be an expert anyway.

They're salesmen and saleswomen but on TV. They're shilling, not educating. I guess it's part and parcel of Selly Telly and Old Mascara Chops seems to come into his own when he's selling the 'added value' to justify the prices. He's go the patter and and I'm sure people find him likeable too. He puts me in mind of Peter Sherlock of Bid and Ideal World fame. Very affable, friendly but full of it and a most ruthless salesman!

Strangely enough for once the added value with the Acer Laptop actually did appear to be such, which is good. But the processor spiel was classic QVC differentiating.

But it was a decent deal anyway. It would have, perhaps, been even better with a proven Intel i3 processor but then EVERYONE else has those old, common as muck things :mysmilie_19:

Latest posts

Back