H by Halston

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Funny how 'detective' work leads from one thing to another.

Just been watching Funny Face (Fred Astaire/Audrey Hepburn), and was interested to learn about Kay Thompson who played another character. Intriguingly she was asked by the fashion designer 'HALSTON' to organise his runway shows....... as follows:

" It was fashion icon Halston who lured Kay out of her self-imposed retirement for a time in the 1970s in order to stage his runway shows. She eventually moved, however, into Liza Minnelli's Upper East Side penthouse in New York City and, contrary to her larger-than-life persona, grew quiet and reclusive with the last decade pretty much confined to a wheelchair. She died at the penthouse on July 2, 1998 at age 88."

As H by Halston is a fashion range at Q, I 'assumed' he was alive. On investigation it seems Halston died in 1990, and his collection was suited more to the discotheque fashion of the 1970's. I wonder what he would now think of the current 'collection' inspired by his name, on Q with its bland T shirts and tops. Not a lot I would think, but always interesting to learn of the 'history' behind a range.

What EXACTLY does that mean SCW ? (bit of a dinosaur where fancy terms are concerned)

'A diffusion line (also known as a bridge line) is a secondary line of merchandise created by a high-end fashion house or fashion designer that retails at lower prices. These ranges are separate from a fashion house's "signature line", or principal artistic line, that typically retail at much higher prices. Diffusion products may be on sale alongside designers' signature line but they can also be made available at concession outlets and certain chain stores. The use of a diffusion line is a part of the strategy of Massification where luxury brands attempt to reach a broader market in order to increase revenue and brand recognition'. Blimey!

Gulp ! thanks for that Twilight ! Massification eh ? sounds like something you need an ointment for :mysmilie_17:

Surely no one thinks the original Frank Usher is behind the jewellery line in its pochettes?

People are always asking why Lulu Guinness no longer appears on Q but she sold her mass production side to an American company who have their own design team and they farm out production to China to and I quote the American who bought the rights " to bring lulu Guinness to the masses ". They still use her name but she has sod all to do with the mass production side anymore. That`s why Q can sell thousands of a supposed designer bag ie it simply isn`t designer anymore, its mass produced !
LG herself now only deals with the more expensive, one offs she sells to the likes of Madonna. Nigella and other celebs and also a small range of limited editions.

Most design houses employ designers in addition to the eponymous figure-head - like Lagerfeld working for Chanel.

Now I've got "He's the greatest dancer" on the brain again..."Halston, Gucci, Fiorruci..:song::ninja::song::ninja:"

Surely no one orders a jersey tunic from H By Halston thinking they're getting something on a par with Gucci by some tenuous association?

People are always asking why Lulu Guinness no longer appears on Q but she sold her mass production side to an American company who have their own design team and they farm out production to China to and I quote the American who bought the rights " to bring lulu Guinness to the masses ". They still use her name but she has sod all to do with the mass production side anymore. That`s why Q can sell thousands of a supposed designer bag ie it simply isn`t designer anymore, its mass produced !
LG herself now only deals with the more expensive, one offs she sells to the likes of Madonna. Nigella and other celebs and also a small range of limited editions.

That makes a lot of sense now, as on the rare occasions she appears, she hasn't a clue what colour or the names of the bags she is supposed to have 'created'.

Most design houses employ designers in addition to the eponymous figure-head - like Lagerfeld working for Chanel.

Now I've got "He's the greatest dancer" on the brain again..."Halston, Gucci, Fiorruci..:song::ninja::song::ninja:"

Surely no one orders a jersey tunic from H By Halston thinking they're getting something on a par with Gucci by some tenuous association?

No, but QVC love to comment on the 'prestigious' association their 'designers' have with the fashion world or Hollywood. Look how they love to push Bob Mackie and how he designs for the 'stars'.

No, but QVC love to comment on the 'prestigious' association their 'designers' have with the fashion world or Hollywood. Look how they love to push Bob Mackie and how he designs for the 'stars'.

Well of course, as is well known, One of Bod Mackie's biggest celebrity clients since the early 70's is Cher. I'd love to see Q pushing some of those nude illusion thong back rhinestoned body stockings to us punters ;-)

Well of course, as is well known, One of Bod Mackie's biggest celebrity clients since the early 70's is Cher. I'd love to see Q pushing some of those nude illusion thong back rhinestoned body stockings to us punters ;-)

Imagine Julia Roberts and Jill Franks modelling them for us……….. :mysmilie_17:

Just had a quick look, the guest presenter and Jackie Kabler make Alison Keenan seem like a slow talker. Yet again, a dress you can get half the price with free postage in almost every shopping outlet from High Street to catalogues. If they think putting "Coco" will subliminally make them think "Chanel"...........they might want to think again. :mysmilie_17: while they're doing that though, in "rapid fire" speed, over the channel goes. :mysmilie_3: