Hair colour and QVC studio lighting

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
One of the first things I noticed when QVC started broadcasting from the new studios was how unkind the studio lighting is to hair colour, especially bleached shades. I've thought this for a long while, and seeing Lulu's head of what seems to resemble Worzel Gummidge style 'straw' hair colour, during tonight's TSV, made me wonder if others at ST thought the same?

I notice that if the people in studio have any hint of brassiness in their blonde hair, the studio lighting will pick it out, if the person has the smallest amount of grey, a few strands or a slight regrowth, again the unforgiving studio lights will make it seem screamingly obvious.

Catherine Huntley and her 'red' beams an even brighter shade of Duracell :giggle:

And if anyone is sporting a wig or add-on, it shines like a glass reflection.

Finally, the before and after shots (in beauty hours) are obviously tweeked. Skin looks brighter, eyes look brighter, along with the background studio wall paint, fixtures & fittings

Goodness knows what will happen when QVC go HD!

Last edited:
There's certainly a strange quality to the lighting at the new studios, I find it quite distracting, as though I can't quite get my eyes to focus properly. Can't quite put my finger on it, just odd.

BTW The way to take down shine on wigs and hair pieces is the same as a shiny face - powder. Not like a Louis XVI powdered wig but dust the palms of hands v lightly with dry shampoo, talc or even translucent face powder (as little as possible) then smooth your hands over the wig. It just helps the piece match your own hair which isn't as shiny.

Jude xx

Last edited:
Don't think it's to do with the studio lighting, but saw Debbie Flint briefly yesterday - can't remember if it was on Q or QVC Beauty, but her hair was definitely looking stripey - orange/pink/purple tones. It looked bizarre, like something you might get done temporarily for fancy dress or Halloweeen.

I agree about the lighting in the new studios at qvc, its like watching with a drop of baby oil in my eye!

Last edited:
Don't think it's to do with the studio lighting, but saw Debbie Flint briefly yesterday - can't remember if it was on Q or QVC Beauty, but her hair was definitely looking stripey - orange/pink/purple tones. It looked bizarre, like something you might get done temporarily for fancy dress or Halloweeen.

Yes, I wondered what she had done to her beautiful hair. always loved Debbies red hair, she used to look real classy!

Latest posts

Back