Liz earle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Interesting letter in today's D/Mail from a reader taking Liz Earle to task for promoting avidly the use of HRT at a young age. For those who have not read it, its as follows.....

"I wish beauty guru Liz Earle would stop trying to persuade women of a certain to take HRT so they can look as youthful as her.

I took HRT after having a hysterectomy at a young age. I exercised three times a week and had a healthy diet. There was no history of breast cancer in my family, but I developed an oestrogen-receptive form of this disease, indicating it was likely to have been caused by HRT.

Before taking HRT, please have all health checks and think carefully about the risks. I question whether Li's trim figure and glowing skin is down to HRT, rather than her privileged lifestyle"

I started taking HRT at the onset of early menopause age 43, however, within a few months I was diagnosed with Lupus, and was immediately taken off it. The doctors maintained that HRT (in my case) exacerbated the symptoms of Lupus, so clearly I wasn't suited to it.

I could never have HRT because of a family history of strokes. My Mother, my oldest brother and also my sister have all had strokes, in fact my Mum died over 30 years ago through a stroke. I had a hysterectomy at the very young age of 33 and the doctor left my ovaries so I would still have the menopause and all of its symptoms barring the irregular periods. I began the menopause when I turned 42 and for someone to advocate across the board HRT is irresponsible. Thankfully HRT has to be prescribed so at least a Doctor will have the final say. Liz Earle isn`t a medical professional and her advice should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

I bought the April issue of Good Housekeeping to read on a car journey. There's a 3 page spread called 'Liz Earle's Good Menopause Guide' which is 'an exclusive extract from her new book The Good Menopause Guide' There's a column and a half headed up as 'Myths and Facts About HRT'. At the end of the article there's information about Liz Earle joining Good Housekeeping 'in central London for an evening talk about how to have a happy and healthy menopause. The tickets are £30 plus booking fee etc etc'.

She has advocated HRT before, and I remember feeling strongly that this was downright irresponsible of her... To say nothing about the ignorance and arrogance of her pronouncements.

Not impressed at all by her well cultivated image as a "lifestyle guru".

Yes, I know on the QVC Facebook quite a few not happy with Dame Liz pushing women to take HRT. Some because of the animal cruelty, though there is a synthetic version you have to ask your GP for that version.

I had an overactive thyroid and actually thought I was going through the change in my late 40s, no turned out to be my thyroid. So when I actually started the menopause in my mid-50s asked the doctor about HRT and he told me he did not like prescribing it unless really necessary. Strangely none of my friends even asked about using it. Because of my thyroid, I just sailed through menopause just felt hot for like 30 seconds then okay.

I turned 60 earlier this year and a few years back developed osteopenic in my wrists, hands, hips and spine. Which has now developed into full osteoporosis in the spine. I have to take the prescription form of Vit D and also the bone-building tablet. I wonder if I had been put on HRT would it have prevented this, or was it just I never went out in the sun as a child and never really liked milk refusing to drink the free stuff in school?

But pushing it as Dame Liz is doing is just seems so at odds with the previous version of her as the beauty eating healthy guru.

Latest posts

Back