QVC social anthropology

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ive never acutally got an explination from them they just removed it but when others have bugged them apparently its not allowed now prior to release

ahh found it

"QVC UK Hi All, we want all our customers on QVC platforms to hear about our TSV's at the same time, and in the same way. Therefore, we will remove any TSV promotions, details or offers that are posted prior to our release"

They don't deserve you Ian.

This is what Ms Flint had to say about this to BTU members:-

"sorry ladies but this is going over old ground , but I've already posted about on here - i can hunt for the post to it here again to help explain it, but believe me this is best all round. THe issue is with sharing things not supposed to be leaked .. As staff, I get given permission to sneaky peek the things i do. Some items will be shared further out but not all, using various means, all of which will be official - some of which will be further than others, some of which will be via emails and newsletters (which anyone can sign up for via QVC page btw) some will be via presenters (all of what I discuss is official, incidentally - it's my job and part of what i do) and some will be via the brands themselves - and it's up to QVC to tie in their own page with the PR plans of brands. THis change has been a long time in coming and it'll be a fabulous new era. Official info will always be accurate too, rather than guess work or innaccurate as it often has been. It's just a change, and will lead to a more smooth running Q page. x"

It does still appear that the brands are only posting in BTU - Linda Magistris being the worst "Offender"!!!

I am a spy in the camp!!!

Miller's mum have you seen DF's post on a thread on BTY about clothes? Debbie is encouraging her followers on BTY to go on the Q main FB page and join in with the web chat that is scheduled for the main FB page. Nothing wrong with them joining in, but one poster claimed not to know how to find the page until DF told her! Watch out for an influx of BTY "plants" for the first time they pay lip service to webcast on the main page. They obviously don't have enough sycophants on there so they have to bring in brainwashed reinforcements! Laughable.

You sure you're a newbie??

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Being completely honest, enjoyed the simplicity of the Facebook pages, but alas this seems to be a thing of the past over there! All ego and ridiculousness now.....if only they could stick to selling stuff!

Follow up for my Q psychology thread. As a microcosm of society, QVC and related social media are very interesting. Kate Fox should write a book to rival "watching the English". (A fab read I will recommend)

They think that marketing/advertising heads up are the meaning of life worthy of fighting about (It's not it's just shopping and lining the pockets of the QVC board of directors)

You are either a sychophantic, brainwashed, drone... dare I say reminding me of the Borg Collective (watch Star Trek Next Generation if you don't know what the Borg is).

Or you are one of the "outcasts". The great unwashed. The unwanted of the QVC main page. Banned or rejected from the Borg Collective. This fuels extremism. Sometimes you start to spy like a double agent. Except it is ****** shopping and you should get a life.

For neutral observers like me it is all very funny. And an interesting reflection of society like a forum is. There are leaders, followers and flame throwers. Forum life is better than Facebook life though. At least you can have a barny and say f**k off on a forum and carry on as if nowt has happened the next day. On FB your card is marked for life. You have been warned.

I love that book - I'm forever quoting it and recommending it to people!

I certainly am glad to be a facebook refusenik. Why add so much extra stress to life?

This is what Ms Flint had to say about this to BTU members:-

"sorry ladies but this is going over old ground , but I've already posted about on here - i can hunt for the post to it here again to help explain it, but believe me this is best all round. THe issue is with sharing things not supposed to be leaked .. As staff, I get given permission to sneaky peek the things i do. Some items will be shared further out but not all, using various means, all of which will be official - some of which will be further than others, some of which will be via emails and newsletters (which anyone can sign up for via QVC page btw) some will be via presenters (all of what I discuss is official, incidentally - it's my job and part of what i do) and some will be via the brands themselves - and it's up to QVC to tie in their own page with the PR plans of brands. THis change has been a long time in coming and it'll be a fabulous new era. Official info will always be accurate too, rather than guess work or innaccurate as it often has been. It's just a change, and will lead to a more smooth running Q page. x"

It does still appear that the brands are only posting in BTU - Linda Magistris being the worst "Offender"!!!

I am a spy in the camp!!!

Well - what a load of baloney (not your post Millie's mum) - and so badly written as well. Patronising, self-important, fingerwagging nonsense, I'm afraid. And basically telling people how to think.

We're not just in the world of the Borg, we're in the world of the Cybermen - upgrade or be deleted!

TBH I couldn't really make head nor tail of it but I assume it is because I am a total social media Virgin and not aware of what type of posts/pages/webCHANTS/ cults she is rabbiting on about.

I love that book - I'm forever quoting it and recommending it to people!

I certainly am glad to be a facebook refusenik. Why add so much extra stress to life?

Me too! Very funny and very informative book. One of my favourites. Made me wish I had chosen a different academic field entirely.

Welcome to Calisto.

Weathergirl - I just hope that the facebook refugees who find us here are exactly that - not a seedling for any attempted Borg assimilation.

It is absolutely vital to ensure free-thinking discussion and debate on any and all subjects. In this day and age it's far too easy for people slip to into the lazy comfort of only engaging with people who do/feel/think/speak the same as themselves. Encountering those want to question, and challenge them is met with shock, rejection or suppression.

Besides - as my mum would have said - life would be boring without any upsets and arguments!

I agree Lynn, I only came across it because I was being nosey but got to say, I'd sooner watch grass grow whilst sticking pins down my finger nails than have anything to do with her groups.

This is what was said yesterday on QVC F/B page:----

After all the FB posts that are on here complaining of the two tier system QVC are employing where Ian Burkitt's posts are being deleted, to let customers know on this page the upcoming TSV's, when other groups are revealing OTO's TSV's etc, I have 'phoned customer services. They have informed me that ,their future policy will be that only QVC on this page will give this information ,recognising that it's unfair. They have also said that Debbie Flint, as one of their presenters will be posting on here in the future to share information and posts, which I'm sure we will look forward to.

Yes, Debbie the fond of all knowledge rushing to tell the masses the upcoming TSVs and OTOs.

Now as an example let us take the upcoming Elemis TSV. So the voice of QVC announced last night the details. Only problem was Keeley had it all over Facebook hours before.:mysmilie_15: So everyone already knew about it.

So how are they going to stop leaks? I thought they loved drip-feeding TSVs to the gasping, eager public. What's brought about the change of heart?

This is what was said yesterday on QVC F/B page:----

After all the FB posts that are on here complaining of the two tier system QVC are employing where Ian Burkitt's posts are being deleted, to let customers know on this page the upcoming TSV's, when other groups are revealing OTO's TSV's etc, I have 'phoned customer services. They have informed me that ,their future policy will be that only QVC on this page will give this information ,recognising that it's unfair. They have also said that Debbie Flint, as one of their presenters will be posting on here in the future to share information and posts, which I'm sure we will look forward to.

In other words, there will still be a two-tier system... just between closed and open facebook groups - nice one, QVC!

I'm getting really p****d off with QVC or presenters telling us how to THINK!

So how are they going to stop leaks? I thought they loved drip-feeding TSVs to the gasping, eager public. What's brought about the change of heart?

I don't think there is a change of heart - it's more a case of them trying to grasp back the reins of control on the horse which has left the stable. Probably the complaints they are listening to are from the people who assiduously follow the now-closed fb groups who have now spread into the open fb page QVC has.

Arrogance and naivety are an unpleasant combination.

Oh, and can I add another analogy to go along with the Borg and the Cybermen? I'm thinking North Korea... ok - so their Dear Leader has a worse haircut!

Last edited:
I've been reading this thread but it's all Greek to me , never been on Facebook. What's the Borg?

I'm confused.I don't do Facebook so I only get a flavour on here but what is Q trying to achieve .Control of TSVs. Or control of Debbie Flints ego. It's interesting she is always in the mix somewhere stirring the brew.

I've been reading this thread but it's all Greek to me , never been on Facebook. What's the Borg?

An Alien race from Star Trek series.Control and assimilation into the hive was their thing.Theres a very good synopsis on Wiki. Very appropriate to the discussion.