Lowest Returns how would he know?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

G

Graham

Guest Shopper
I have been tying not to post in the section but I can hold back no more, tonight Steve Bennett said that Rocks TV has the lowest return rate in the industry, a sweeping statement and how would he know?

He also said it's better not to be a site holder of Tanzanite One, another sweeping statement, well I watch TJC who are a siteholder and I watch GemsTV and RocksTV who are not, the pieces on TJC always look better, so in my opinion it is better to be a site holder.

although i can't comment on the quality of his gems compared to other channels as i don't watch the others, i'm not a fan of steve nor sarah presenting...i feel he let's too much business info/competitive talk slip out which sounds unprofessional and Sarah constantly bemoans the low prices as though (we're) ripping them off.

I think Sarah and Steve are great presenters BUT Steve has a very bad habit, I think, of forgetting that he is broadcasting on Telly not just enjoying being behind a desk talking about his Company and Gems which he patently loves. His claims and statements about competitors sometimes overstep the mark and must have his Lawyers squirming at times. :thinking:

I have been tying not to post in the section but I can hold back no more, tonight Steve Bennett said that Rocks TV has the lowest return rate in the industry, a sweeping statement and how would he know?

He also said it's better not to be a site holder of Tanzanite One, another sweeping statement, well I watch TJC who are a siteholder and I watch GemsTV and RocksTV who are not, the pieces on TJC always look better, so in my opinion it is better to be a site holder.

I totally agree with you Graham. I would like to know how he would prove that to the ASA if required?

As for the Tanzanite One statement - only one word for that - BOLLOCKS! TJC's Tanzanite is a million miles from what Rocks TV sell and is far superior to any of the other jewellery channels. They are the only company I would ever dream of buying Tanzanite from, in fact they are the only company I would buy anything of value from.

In some ways I understand Steve's comment about Tanzanite One as it goes like this:-

1. If you're a sightholder you're obligated to buy X amount of Tanzanite each [period of time]. This is a combination of all grades of Tanzanite.
2. This means that you may have some stones that you wouldn't want to sell yourself so you have to sell on.
3. That means you have to be big enough and set up well enough to buy and sell wholesale gems.
4. TJC are big enough (from a worldwide perspective) to do this and they sell to nearly all the UK outlets (including rival TV/internet companies).

So, you have to be a big player to buy in bulk and then have to re-sell to others what you don't want to keep.

RocksTV presumably don't have that buying power. What that means (I would assume) is that all Tanzanite RocksTV buy has to come from one of the sightholders. Therefore RocksTV will be paying more and presumably making less profit than the sightholders. It does mean however that RocksTV can choose what they want and are not lumbered by gems that they wouldn't sell themselves.

As for the returns? I'd take that comment with a huge pinch of salt!!!

I suspect it is a case of tempering his natural enthusiasm and facing up to the fact that he doesn't know everything. According to him there is no such thing as red amethyst (only available in Canada) and Alexandrite is "rare rare rare" - Russian alex yes - Indian alex unusual but not rare - personally I wish he'd use Alex from Tanzania or Brazil. His claims do make me wince sometimes and I do wonder how long it will be before ASA comes banging on his door - but I guess all his money buys excellent legal advice.

I have seen Red Amethyst - it is only mined in one place on this earth - Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. It is an absolutely gorgeous colour - i heard steve, on tv the other day informing Anjo, that Red Amethyst does not exist, and if it did, it would be heat treated - I have seen a huge clump of Red Amethyst, on the internet, in the same crystal spikey form as my huge lump of deep purple amethyst (that I bought several years ago).

and here it is

Attachments

• 4725tn.jpg
    4725tn.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 215
I suspect it is a case of tempering his natural enthusiasm and facing up to the fact that he doesn't know everything. According to him there is no such thing as red amethyst (only available in Canada) and Alexandrite is "rare rare rare" - Russian alex yes - Indian alex unusual but not rare - personally I wish he'd use Alex from Tanzania or Brazil. His claims do make me wince sometimes and I do wonder how long it will be before ASA comes banging on his door - but I guess all his money buys excellent legal advice.

Anjo - good Alexandrite IS rare. In fact, by gemstone standards, a good, well cut Alex with a strong colour change is one of the rarest gemstones. I'm not talking about the ones with weak or little colour change that are poorly cut (which are really all you can buy at the moment from the shopping channels). Russian Alex isn't just rare, it's virtually non-existent in the market place now. I don't know if you realise but Steve is a collector of Alexandrite and this is one gemstone that he does know about.

Have you seen Brazilian Alex? Personally I don't like it. As for Steve being able to buy it? He'd have to be a magician because the Brazilian mine was mined out years ago and only a tiny amount is still available for purchase. I've never ever seen a really good Brazilian Alex that has been for sale for less that 5 figures! Indian Alex has the best daylight green in my opinion but I do love the Tanzanian ones (like the one in my Avatar) BUT I believe that currently nowhere is mining Alex and there is hardly any good material on the market unless you have lots of thousands of pounds to spare!

Last edited:
Yes I have seen Brazilian alexandrite - it had a tendency to green/grey colour although lovely blue/green as well with very few inclusions. However, what stones you like and don't like are a matter of personal choice.

My understanding is that, small quantities of Alexandrite are mined in Brazil, Sri Lanka, India, Myanmar, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. Most of the current production of alexandrite constitutes a small percentage of the overall chrysoberyl production. India is the only country that produces a significant quantity of alexandrite today, although their production is limited.

but we digress a little from the forum topic .................

Last edited:

Hmmmm sounding like more of mr bennetts fictional statements again! if he cannot state fact perhaps he simply shouldnt comment! His constant comments about "competitors" comes accross as so very unprofessional! especially when it is a sweeping statement such as this returns thing! The worst presenters on all channels IMO are the ones who simply make stuff up, so it is terrible to see a channel owner doing just that!

Last edited:
gemdreamer said:
Hmmmm sounding like more of mr bennetts fictional statements again! if he cannot state fact perhaps he simply shouldnt comment! His constant comments about "competitors" comes accross as so very unprofessional! especially when it is a sweeping statement such as this returns thing! The worst presenters on all channels IMO are the ones who simply make stuff up, so it is terrible to see a channel owner doing just that!

What is really annoying me now is the whole AAA Tanzanite issue, I personally don't think that channels should be allowed to use this term when no check is made my any independent organisation. GemsTV do AAA+ and in my opinion should just not have that grade. With Diamonds you know where you are but I think Tanzanite should just be tanzanite and not graded as to me by doing so it implies a value or worth.

I may be wrong but Rod was saying that Tanzanite would make a good stone for an engagement ring, I assumed the stone should not be worn every day so would be a bad choice for engagement ring.

What is really annoying me now is the whole AAA Tanzanite issue, I personally don't think that channels should be allowed to use this term when no check is made my any independent organisation. GemsTV do AAA+ and in my opinion should just not have that grade. With Diamonds you know where you are but I think Tanzanite should just be tanzanite and not graded as to me by doing so it implies a value or worth.

I may be wrong but Rod was saying that Tanzanite would make a good stone for an engagement ring, I assumed the stone should not be worn every day so would be a bad choice for engagement ring.

i thought the same, that Tanzy isn't great for everyday wear. Personally i wouldn't recommend anything but diamond or sapphire for engagement ring

Absolutely correct. Tanzanite is not a stone to be worn everyday.

Hmmmm that is a very strong claim to make and like you I wonder how he is able to claim it. In his defence he does always seem honest to a fault and I think it may have been the case he shouldn't have said it rather than an out and out lie.

With regards to the Sarah B collection I haven't heard back from them but I did see recently (and I got it on my Sky plus, I just gotta work out a way of taking on to youface or whatever you call it :tongue:) that the presenter said that they were designed by Sarah there was no mistaking the meaning so if it does turn out not to be true that is very bad.

I don't want to just sound like a fanboy of Rocks, I haven't purchased anything from them, I just can normally tell if people are dishonest like Auction World, It is like an emotion radar I have (I know that sounds silly) and I always seem to pick up good vibes from Steve B, but it is not an exact science and I am always wrong on loads of other things too!

PJ

Latest posts

Back