Silicone bakeware

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kirkiegirl

Registered Shopper
I have silicone bakeware that I have bought from both QVC and Ideal World. All have turned white even though I am really careful about washing (by hand) and drying them. Does anyone else have this problem or have a suggestion about how to remove it and stop it happening again?

I have the red baking trays which were a TSV a few months ago and I wash my in the dishwasher but there a few marks on them. I did say on the enclosed leaflet that there may be some staining. I am going to try a few tricks to see if I can get off the marks and if I do I will come back to you.

I have had nothing but hassle from the silicone bakeware. For example, food left on bakeware and it cannot come off. I have looked on the QVC website and many people have had the same problem. It really does make me cross when I see malcolm demonstrating them on QVC

Thanks for your reply Shopping is Fun. It is not actually staining from cooking or baking, it is like a white film. I thought it was just the ones from Ideal World which went like that. I stored them in a Lock & Lock box. I started buying some Technique ones and have had them for a few months. I couldn't believe it yesterday when I opened up the carrying box which contained one of the sets and discovered they had gone the same way.

I have had nothing but hassle from the silicone bakeware. For example, food left on bakeware and it cannot come off. I have looked on the QVC website and many people have had the same problem. It really does make me cross when I see malcolm demonstrating them on QVC
I totally agree with Globey about these silicone products, given that they do not stick - they do everything else badly such as the awful staining and splitting and the results seems unappealing IMO.
The ones that I tried and hated include the original red ones from both QVC and IW and also the blue Technique brand.Too much hassle and too much hype!

Thanks globey and joyla for confirming my instinctive suspicion and dislike of the thought of silicone bakeware. I've never even bought any of the stuff because I simply don't like the thought of using silicone to bake food in! (Rightly or wrongly, silicone has associations in my mind with breast implants and dodgy cosmetics ingredients that don't let the skin breath.) IMO it's just silicone manufacturers trying to find new uses for the stuff before the masses wise-up!

Sorry, kirkiegirl, I'm not getting at you or other people who buy this stuff, it's just that I'm naturally suspicious about things like this - things that just don't 'feel right' to me (things which seem so downright 'synthetic' and un-natural in a fundamental way). That marketers try to sell us such carp in some kind of hit-an-run way ( 'let's flog it to them, without telling them the full story... make a packet, then bail out') winds me up big time!!!

I actually agree with some of the above comments but I did do a lot of research on the food safety angle which reassured me as did the fact that so many reputable shops sell it. I bought it mainly because of the storage angle and also because several of the shapes let me use them in the combination microwave. I have never been disappointed with the end result as it seems to produce food equivalent to anything cooked on metal. I should add that I am not the best cook or baker so maybe that last statement doesn't count for much. I can put up with the staining but this white film bothers me. As no-one else has said that they get that I am beginning to wonder if it is to do with the way I store it. As I said in my initial post I used to store it all in a Lock & Lock and now I have got it all with the Technique collapsible set that came with a baking board and lid. The Lock & Lock should have been airtight but the Technique case is not. How do other people store it?

Latest posts

Back