Poor Quality Diamonds?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

RuthLynetteFan

Registered Shopper
Is it my tv or eyes but do some of the diamonds on gemstv look poor quality? In the description it said diamonds but diamonds are meant to be clear white not yellowy white.

I have sent pieces back because they have been such bad quality diamonds and very heavily included. So much so I would not touch GEMS diamonds with a barge pole. I even sent a ring back that was supposed to be SI clarity but they never mentioned they were SI2 or worse. The reason I sent my Morganite Rose Gold ring back , they were better clarity diamonds but they were not white just a dirty yellow colour...........still credit card is happy:)

I lost a gems tv earring and needed a replacement cost. The jewellery gave Me a favourable one for the insurance but told me the diamonds were awful and he showed me them through the loupe - they looked like grains of sugar- no joke.

I know what you mean - I remember buying a 2ct diamond cluster which was awful and went straight back as essentially the diamonds were yellow and heavily included but anyway ............

This is something that rears its head from time to time. From experience

In 9k gems tend to use I1/2 G or H colour, though a few pieces also have SI diamonds G or H color. I think the decision on what diamonds are used with 9k is decided by the lead gemstone and how rare/expensive it is.

With 18k gems tend to use a minimum of SI although quite a lot of 18k ranges feature VS E-F colour diamonds.

My suggestion to anyone who buys online (like me) is to check the description in the "boutique" before buying/bidding. This usually provides you with a full description of the diamond quality you can expect which seems to strangely disappear on the online auction site. It is also a way of checking the price of the piece and making sure the auction falls to a price lower than web site (it doesn't always happen!!).

Unfortunately, the quality of the diamonds used in settings by GemsTV / RocksTV are dire on the whole. In their more expensive settings, the diamonds are ok but by no means spectacular. I once bought a ring (for the setting) and the diamonds were absolutely dreadful (see below). I would happily have paid an extra £30 and got decent accent diamonds (which is about what the difference would be I would think).

Very quick and brief overview of diamonds in general:-

Colour

White diamonds range in colour from D (colourless) through to Z (think yellow/brown). Typically, you won't see a yellow or grey tinge in good quality diamonds until you get to about an I or J in colour (that's using the GIA grading NOT an in-house grading system). Even then you will only see the yellow if you look at the diamond from the side before it's set or turned upside down on a white sheet of paper (again when the diamond is loose). Diamonds, unless you want them to be, should not be yellow or grey. Typically, if the GIA system is used, if you go for a G-H in colour you won't notice any yellow.

Clarity

IF = Internally flawless
VVS1 - VVS2 = Very very slight inclusions. Will not be seen with the naked eye.
VS1-VS2 = Very slightly included. Again, will be difficult to see with the naked eye.
SI1-SI2 = Slightly included. In some you will see inclusions with the naked eye but if following the GIA grading then you'll probably struggle to see them but they will be apparent with a loupe. Generally these are eye clean (more or less).
I1-I3 - Included. Inclusions will be visible to the naked eye and will more often than not detract from the beauty of the diamond.

Conclusion

If anybody tries to tell you that an I graded diamond is good then run away as fast as you can UNLESS it has a GIA report AND there's a reason for it being I clarity.

SI graded diamonds IF following the GIA guidelines should be decent diamonds. I say IF because unfortunately some diamonds, especially accent diamonds are graded in house and never see the inside of a grading house which is fine and you wouldn't expect them to have been BUT you do expect them to be decent.

Stay away from I graded diamonds. Yes they're affordable but they typically look like frozen spit. They are poor quality and often used in cheap settings.

SI1-2 is a good choice IF the diamonds are properly graded as it keeps the cost down.

Any diamond that is grey, milky, cloudy, oily or has black inclusions should be passed over.

I just want to show you how good I grade diamonds can be. These were hand picked for me to keep the cost of making these earrings down. They have a high colour so they appear very white and the inclusions are such that they don't detract from their beauty. You can even see arrows in some of them. Obviously most I grade diamonds are NOT like this but I wanted to show you how I grades can vary!

(Ignore the central stones - they are natural pink diamonds and, if I remember correctly, SI2 in clarity).

I just want to show you how good I grade diamonds can be. These were hand picked for me to keep the cost of making these earrings down. They have a high colour so they appear very white and the inclusions are such that they don't detract from their beauty. You can even see arrows in some of them. Obviously most I grade diamonds are NOT like this but I wanted to show you how I grades can vary!

(Ignore the central stones - they are natural pink diamonds and, if I remember correctly, SI2 in clarity).

Thanks for posting these photo's Meesh. The earrings are a gorgeous design, definitely the sort of thing I go for!

Were they made in the UK or abroad?

Inge x

Hmmmmm......

The attachment was in this month's Scoop and from the text it looks as though Gems will be altering the grades of the accent diamonds.......and introducing some PK grades! :eek:
Double click to see it full size....

Attachments

• img071.jpg
    img071.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 503
The attachment was in this month's Scoop and from the text it looks as though Gems will be altering the grades of the accent diamonds.......and introducing some PK grades! :eek:
Double click to see it full size....

PK is the old word for I grade diamonds.

Having looked at the document provided by Sacha (thanks Sacha) I can honestly say that this is smoke and mirrors. It's not only more complicated but doesn't replicate any accepted standards and therefore it can only be an attempt to confuse. The reason given in the article is because 2 people may grade melee diamonds differently. Well yes, and that's why there is, and should be, 1 system that everybody should adhere to. You can buy reference stones so that grading is done according to the GIA standard and this should be irrespective of the size of diamond. Look at the earrings I posted. They are melee diamonds. I should be able to state with authority what grade and colour they are and what I want. I shouldn't have to translate sales rubbish and somebody's idea of how to change the diamond market to suit themselves!

This is a blatent attempt to make it confusing for customers. I think this is downright deceptive. Do they honestly think they know better than the GIA????? This absolutely amazes me and leaves me aghast at the amount of smoke and mirrors they will use to sell junk.

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

p.s. Inge - the earrings were my own design (based loosely on some I had seen elsewhere) and made for me by my jeweller in the UK. Glad you like them x

Bumping this thread because of the important information as detailed in Sacha's post.

Thanks for the explanation Meesh, Gems certainly don't come out well from it. I've always thought their diamonds appeared more akin to gravel than fine diamonds, but what's worse is that their presenters sit there with bare-faced cheek extolling their amazing beauty and brilliance (not to mention size!). Honestly, do they think we are blind and how are we supposed to trust anybody who is prepared to sit there and say that, in fact say just about anything for a sale?

Unfortunately, the quality of the diamonds used in settings by GemsTV / RocksTV are dire on the whole. In their more expensive settings, the diamonds are ok but by no means spectacular. I once bought a ring (for the setting) and the diamonds were absolutely dreadful (see below). I would happily have paid an extra £30 and got decent accent diamonds (which is about what the difference would be I would think).

Very quick and brief overview of diamonds in general:-

Colour

White diamonds range in colour from D (colourless) through to Z (think yellow/brown). Typically, you won't see a yellow or grey tinge in good quality diamonds until you get to about an I or J in colour (that's using the GIA grading NOT an in-house grading system). Even then you will only see the yellow if you look at the diamond from the side before it's set or turned upside down on a white sheet of paper (again when the diamond is loose). Diamonds, unless you want them to be, should not be yellow or grey. Typically, if the GIA system is used, if you go for a G-H in colour you won't notice any yellow.

Clarity

IF = Internally flawless
VVS1 - VVS2 = Very very slight inclusions. Will not be seen with the naked eye.
VS1-VS2 = Very slightly included. Again, will be difficult to see with the naked eye.
SI1-SI2 = Slightly included. In some you will see inclusions with the naked eye but if following the GIA grading then you'll probably struggle to see them but they will be apparent with a loupe. Generally these are eye clean (more or less).
I1-I3 - Included. Inclusions will be visible to the naked eye and will more often than not detract from the beauty of the diamond.

Conclusion

If anybody tries to tell you that an I graded diamond is good then run away as fast as you can UNLESS it has a GIA report AND there's a reason for it being I clarity.

SI graded diamonds IF following the GIA guidelines should be decent diamonds. I say IF because unfortunately some diamonds, especially accent diamonds are graded in house and never see the inside of a grading house which is fine and you wouldn't expect them to have been BUT you do expect them to be decent.

Stay away from I graded diamonds. Yes they're affordable but they typically look like frozen spit. They are poor quality and often used in cheap settings.

SI1-2 is a good choice IF the diamonds are properly graded as it keeps the cost down.

Any diamond that is grey, milky, cloudy, oily or has black inclusions should be passed over.

Meesho i would like ure expert opinion if poss. A very dear friend of mine recently got engaged and her fiance presented her with a beautiful diamond ring. On close inspection i noticed a tiny small black mark..i tried rubbing it off but it was clearly within the diamond. Her fiance purchased this from a website jewellers based in birmingham and cost nearly £1000. The centre stone looks to be a half carat and this is the stone with what i think is a terrible inclusion! am i right? should it be returned??? i was trying hard to be tactful without bursting her bubble but i have picked up some knowledge of diamonds from all u guys and the numerous hours watching the gem channels and didnt think this was Ok in a diamond of that price. many thanks

Mandik - I'm not an expert and it's impossible to give you a definitive answer without (a) knowing the exact carat weight of the centre diamond and surrounding diamonds (b) the clarity that the diamond was sold as (c) the colour the diamond(s) were graded as (d) the gold weight etc. (e) the metal type i.e. platinum, 18k gold, 9k gold etc.

Diamonds can be very deceptive - a one carat round for example can look much smaller than a one carat pear cut. Radiants tend to be smaller etc etc. Without knowing the exact dimensions (including depth) it's very difficult to guess the weight unless you look at diamonds day in/day out.

The black mark could be an inclusion or it could be a reflection of one of the facets or a reflection of the setting or it could be jewellers wax stuck on the inside of the setting reflecting through the diamond, in old cut diamonds it can be a reflection of the culet etc etc. There are numerous things might cause a black mark.

Certainly a solitaire ring containing a half carat round cut of G-H colour with SI1 clarity (so you may see some inclusions but it may be difficult and that includes a tiny black mark) set in 18k gold you could find for around £500-650. If in Platinum OR the carat weight is higher OR the colour is better than G-H OR the clarity is higher than SI1, the price will be higher.

If your friend is happy with the ring say nothing! This is supposed to be her "special" ring and so she probably won't want to hear anything negative. If however she's concerned then the first thing to do is get her to have it appraised by Safeguard to see if the colour and clarity match what the seller sold the ring as being. If it's wildly different then she may have a case to return the ring.

Last edited:
thanks for replying meesho. She did query the 'black mark' with me, so i'll pass on the information and she can decide what to do with it. Didn't want to barge right in and tell her it was a badun as i haven't enough experience to be doing so!

That's why i love this website...so informative!! :talking:

Thanks for the explanation Meesh, Gems certainly don't come out well from it. I've always thought their diamonds appeared more akin to gravel than fine diamonds, but what's worse is that their presenters sit there with bare-faced cheek extolling their amazing beauty and brilliance (not to mention size!). Honestly, do they think we are blind and how are we supposed to trust anybody who is prepared to sit there and say that, in fact say just about anything for a sale?

I was watching the other day - can't remember which of the ladies was presenting but she was squealing about how huge the diamonds in the ring were. Then announced they were 1.5 mm....
Obviously the Gems dictionary has a different definition of huge than the Oxford one!

Latest posts

Back