Purple help needed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vienna

Registered Shopper
I`m off to a Christmas dinner dance at the beginning of December and have already bought my dress which is a vibrant shade of purple. I don`t wear masses of makeup but this dress is in a colour I`ve never worn before so I`m really unsure what eye colours and even more importantly lip colours will match it. I once had a purply lilac lipstick which made me look as if I had heart problems because it really made my lips look a strange colour so I`d like to avoid lipsticks/eyeshadows with purple in them plus I think the dress on its own is enough purple for one person to wear. Ideas and help needed please for eyes, lips and cheek colours.

I love purple and wear it often. I've got brown eyes and normally go for brownish/beige eyeshadow and pink lipstick (bluer rather than orangey shade) but if that is too alarming for your colouring try a neutral/nude colour and let the colour of the dress take centre stage.

If you lived round the corner I'd lend you my purple diamonique........

Have a lovely evening.

Depending on the colour of your eyes, what about a contrast with a subtle green eyeshadow. Bronzey pink blush and a nude/natural gloss on the lips? Something a bit like Julia Roberts' (QVC) wears but a bit more dramatic for the evening?

I`ve got brown eyes and quite high colour (pink cheeks !) which i have to tone down with my foundation. The purple eek sounds lovely btw

Good Lord!
If you wore Katy Perry's purple dress, no one, absolutely NO ONE would look at your eyes.
Himself would have a heart attack lol.

LOL Minim at not far off 60 if I wore a dress like Katy Perry`s I`d need engineering not lingerie to keep my bits in place plus himself would die laughing ! The only thing my dress has is common with Katy`s ( god love her, gorgeous gal btw ) is the colour which is almost identical.

I love purple too - am wearing my Land's End purple fleece top as we speak! Depends on your colouring of course, I'm silver haired and pale complexioned and I would say a pale pink blush, any lippy from the pink palette (deffo not coral/peach/red!) and eyeshadow..lilac, green, or just something neutral like beige so that your colours aren't fighting each other! Hope you enjoy the "do"!

I can't wear purple eyeshadow it always looks like I have sore eyes. Why don't you go to a beauty counter and ask for a demo. They are really good and will show you how to do it yourself at home. Bobbi brown staff are always great.

I agree on the purple diamonique I have a couple of rings and the colour is fab - maybe you could treat yourself to something to go with your dress :cheeky:

Well Vienna I'd have to have falsies. My 30 DDs would be ..... unnoticeable lol

Good idea to go for a demo/ advice at a counter as rosey says.
Carol knows all about it. She had a positive experience.

Brill idea ! I never thought of that and I`ll pop into Debenhams or Boots and rugby tackle the Clinique/Clarins/No7 gal to give me the once over. Thank you ladies.

Grey is good, but maybe not with brown eyes, I am sure a makeover will sort that out and show you how to wear shades you have never dreamt of before! I love the idea of a purple dress for a special event rather than the usual black! Hope you turn heads (in the right way!) and have a fabulous night, feeling like a million dollars! msx

I also have brown eyes and find Bobbi Brown's Heather very flattering. It's not a dark purple but I have worn it with a purple outfit. BB's Eggplant is a much darker but a lovely shade too.

Another vote for grey from me.

If you go into M&S, take a look at their budget range make up. It's very good, and they do a soft eyeliner pencil in a colour called Smoke. I think the last one I bought was £3 - bargain!

It's grey, but has the tinest smidgeon of indigo in there, which looks fab with purple. The pencils are soft enough to smudge for a smoky look, I love 'em!

Can't sleep, thought I'd have another attempt at damned website and came across a pair of purple eek earrings (round studs) at £18.12 + £2.95 P&P - item no 606419. Might be suitable...

I went into town the other day but both Debenhams and Boots were so busy and all the staff seemed to be on the tills. Time of year I suppose. I`m fancying a kind of smoky eye, greys but I`d have to see how it looks with my brown eyes. The heather colour suggested sounds a good idea too. I have really sensitive eyes and some eyeshadows make them sore so I`d have to be careful what brand I use. I usually get them from Elemental Beauty so I might email the site and ask for suggestions because its so hard to judge when you can only see the colours online. Failing that I`ll go into town really early one day and corner either the No7 or Clinique lady, I can use both their brands. It`s lipstick colours too but if I`m having a smoky eye with quite dark shades them I think I`d go for a simple nude gloss.

Latest posts

Back