This weeks ASA ruling against Sit Up - 27 February 2013

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Good. How many more coming their way?

I would imagine continuously, until such a time that they stop possibly attempting to deceive their customers.

Despite the improvements forced on them there is still plenty of evidence to suggest they haven't. Plenty.

The key admission by Sit Up in this ruling is 'Bid tv confirmed they did receive some revenue from the phone calls they received'.

Something many of us on here have long, long suspected when they pull the 'Phones Locked' tactic.

Last edited:
I would imagine continuously, until such a time that they stop possibly attempting to deceive their customers.

Despite the improvements forced on them there is still plenty of evidence to suggest they haven't. Plenty.

The key admission by Sit Up in this ruling is 'Bid tv confirmed they did receive some revenue from the phone calls they received'.

Something many of us on here have long, long suspected when they pull the 'Phones Locked' tactic.

How does that actually work? It confuses me a bit (easily done!) They say it's for fairness?! Is there financial gain for them in locking the lines?

How does that actually work? It confuses me a bit (easily done!) They say it's for fairness?! Is there financial gain for them in locking the lines?

Because they almost certainly know full well that people will still call, it's human nature.

And when (as in the case of this complaint) they only have 1 single item in the quantity (but don't tell anyone before the lines open) it's even worse as the chances of you getting it are tiny, it's almost like a lottery.

If they aren't on the make they could always use a different phone number when they 'lock' the lines (when in fact they clearly don't lock any lines at all) and very briefly stop any of their other numbers from accepting calls, but of course they don't.

Kerching.

Last edited:
Wirral70, you are an absolute diamond for clearly explaining these adjudications and the ramifications for Bid from them. Please keep posting them because I find it easier to understand when you explain them. :up:

Funnily enough, I've just received a letter from the ASA about a complaint I'd actually forgotten that I'd made. The letter says it's pretty much going to be upheld, however, it's still in its confidential stages at the moment, so unfortunately I'm unable to give any detail. All I can say is that it really is a good 'un, you'll be proud of me and you'll instantly recognise who the presenter was on the day!

Latest posts

Back