Media:
Television
Sector:
Retail
Number of complaints:
Complaint Ref:
A13-231932
Ad

A teleshopping ad for a gold, oval link belcher neckchain was broadcast for sale on Bid TV for £29.99. On-screen text stated "Hallmarked 9ct Yellow Gold Oval Link Belcher Neckchain UK P&P £7.99". The presenter stated, "It's not far short of two grams. It's twenty inches. Belcher links"; "At £120 one would expect surely twenty inches nigh on two grams"; "We've lost here, let's be quite clear about this, this is a loss leader. At £60 or £70 one would envisage for nigh on two grams, belcher link, solid gold" and "Do not miss it. Ladies, treat yourself. Gents, treat yourself. Not only because of the weight of it, not only because it's twenty inches, not only because it's a Belcher link".
Issue

A viewer, who had purchased the item, challenged whether the claims that the item weighed not far short of 2 g and similar were misleading and could be substantiated, because she had had the item weighed and was told the weight was 1.4 g.
BCAP Code
Response

sit-up Ltd t/a Bid (Bid) said the host had misread the weight of the item as 1.8 g rather than 1.4 g and had mistakenly rounded it up. They said they had undertaken retraining for the presenter and that in future the weight of any similar products would be displayed in on-screen graphics.
Assessment

Upheld

The ASA welcomed the action Bid had taken to prevent similar situations arising in future. However, we considered that if the weight of an item being sold as solid gold was described as being not far short of 2 g, that was likely to have been a significant factor in a viewer's decision to purchase it. Because the weight of the item had been described incorrectly and was significantly short of what was claimed, we concluded that the claims were misleading and in breach of the Code.

The claims breached BCAP Code rules 3.1 (Misleading advertising), 3.9 (Substantiation) and 3.12 (Exaggeration).
Action

The ad must not be broadcast again in its current form. We welcomed the action Bid had taken to prevent similar situations arising in future.

ASA Adjudication on sit-up Ltd
sit-up Ltd t/a Bid
Unit 11 Acton Park Industrial Estate
Eastman Road
Acton
London
W3 7QE
Date:
28 August 2013
Media:
Television
Sector:
Retail
Number of complaints:
Complaint Ref:
A13-231932
Ad

A teleshopping ad for a gold, oval link belcher neckchain was broadcast for sale on Bid TV for £29.99. On-screen text stated "Hallmarked 9ct Yellow Gold Oval Link Belcher Neckchain UK P&P £7.99". The presenter stated, "It's not far short of two grams. It's twenty inches. Belcher links"; "At £120 one would expect surely twenty inches nigh on two grams"; "We've lost here, let's be quite clear about this, this is a loss leader. At £60 or £70 one would envisage for nigh on two grams, belcher link, solid gold" and "Do not miss it. Ladies, treat yourself. Gents, treat yourself. Not only because of the weight of it, not only because it's twenty inches, not only because it's a Belcher link".
Issue

A viewer, who had purchased the item, challenged whether the claims that the item weighed not far short of 2 g and similar were misleading and could be substantiated, because she had had the item weighed and was told the weight was 1.4 g.
BCAP Code
Response

sit-up Ltd t/a Bid (Bid) said the host had misread the weight of the item as 1.8 g rather than 1.4 g and had mistakenly rounded it up. They said they had undertaken retraining for the presenter and that in future the weight of any similar products would be displayed in on-screen graphics.
Assessment

Upheld

The ASA welcomed the action Bid had taken to prevent similar situations arising in future. However, we considered that if the weight of an item being sold as solid gold was described as being not far short of 2 g, that was likely to have been a significant factor in a viewer's decision to purchase it. Because the weight of the item had been described incorrectly and was significantly short of what was claimed, we concluded that the claims were misleading and in breach of the Code.

The claims breached BCAP Code rules 3.1 (Misleading advertising), 3.9 (Substantiation) and 3.12 (Exaggeration).
Action

The ad must not be broadcast again in its current form. We welcomed the action Bid had taken to prevent similar situations arising in future.

Peter Simon again.
I don't believe that he 'misread' the weight-I think he just chanced his arm thinking he could get away with it.
Another nail in the coffin.

That's terrible! And I don't believe it for one minute. If it had said 1.3 grams, then that maybe read as an 8 if it's written by hand...but to mistake a 4 for an 8? Yeah right...and having the cheek to round up the figure...Disgusting!

Can you imagine if they sat Peter Simon down and said they were going to re-train him? I'd love to see the look on his face :giggle:

At least this means the end to the shoddy £10 credit scam and the weight of jewellery shenanigans.

Nicola George must take the credit though for some of Peter Simon's B$ as she was his 'boss' and also the training manager from June 2011 up until August 2012 :giggle: Mysteriously she no longer lists 'Channel 7' as her new job.... :confused:

I think Sit-up management should also check Peter Simon's mileage record should he claim it. He might be rounding up a 4 mile journey for 10! :giggle:

Last edited:
They do seem to make quite a lot of mistakes. And you can't help but notice that they always seem to be in their own favour too :wink:

Last edited:
I am glad they got pulled up on the ""It's not far short of xxx grams" comments when I & others on here have pointed out completely the opposite on numerous occasions he said it. Quite frankly imo he was disgraceful with those comments.

I am glad they got pulled up on the ""It's not far short of xxx grams" comments when I & others on here have pointed out completely the opposite on numerous occasions he said it. Quite frankly imo he was disgraceful with those comments.

Yes Mr M but please bear in mind it was just a mistake, it will never happen again :wink:

Just the other day, I heard Kiri, twice refer to a ring as having almost a carat of whatever gemstone it was I can't remember, when in fact it was half a carat! - unbelievable!

Latest posts

Back