Memory loss at 52

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

madmax

Registered Shopper
I haven't been around as much as I would have liked recently, as I have been under going a whole series of tests and scans.
It turn out I have an un named memory loss condition. This is making life even more complicated than it was before with the Arthritis and fibromialga.
Now I am asking if any of you have any hints and tips to make life any easier, I have seen the memory occupational therapist a couple of times but she mainly works with the elderly who are suffering from various types of dementia and at only 52 I fall well short of her usual client work load.
She has pointed me in the direction of a memory cafe but the average age there must be 80 and I am younger then some of the carers who accompany the clients.
Thanks for reading
Karen

Hi Karen. Sorry to hear about this new health problem and I don't understand all of the implications of it for your daily life. I don't know of anything but I think you will have to look online. See if you can find any projects that the universities are running. Also check out any memory aids that are available. I wonder if there are any that use smell as a trigger.
When I want to remember anything I place an item by the front door or upstairs landing. That reminds me that I have something specific to do that I have not written down.

I am sorry this is happening to you.

Write yourself a small post it pad and just write one word on it to remind you what you have to do.

I know I forget things a lot, not if it is the stains I take?????? But I sometimes go out loud. You turned off the gas! You took your inhaler! Funny I always remember to give the cats their meds.

So sorry Karen. With your other health concerns it must be a real double or tripple whammy. The only thing I am aware of is the importance of keeping your brain active and training your memory by puzzle-type exercises. There is a "game" designed for this purpose available on a nintendo DS, which is small enough to carry in your handbag so you can exercise your memory whenever you have a spare minute. Crosswords and things like suduko are also great mind gyms. Also I totally agree with Donna about short, simple reminders on post-its. Great suggestion. x

Thanks for your suggestions I am already doing puzzles every day (when I remember !!).
I am trying to build up routines around all of the every day tasks that have to be done so that they don't get forgotten.
I will have a look at the Ds game and see if it is something I could use, I have very limited mobility in my fingers and wrists so some things are just to fiddly for me.

madmax, I am hoping/presuming you have had tests for an underactive thyroid, this normally goes hand in hand with fibromyalgia. If not, please pursue a test and request treatment if you are only borderline underactive to see if this helps. Even after 20 years of thyroid treatment my memory is still poor in certain areas, but obviously massively improved from the early days. BTW, hearing loss due to thyroid trouble is reversible with treatment. My best wishes to you and agree the Nintendo games are fab, Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training in particular.

I have never had a thyroid test as far as I know, I am going to make an appointment to see my G.P ASAP.
I have also got a significant hearing loss in my left ear and now have a hearing aid for it, but I tend not to use it as it makes me dizzy and disorientated, not good while you are out and about.
I am trying to find someone who has a Nintendo so I can have a try to see if it would be suitable. My DD had one but she sold it at the beginning of the year, sod's law.

Truly never rains scenario, I am so sorry to hear this. Others have given excellent advice. I just wish you a diagnosis and a good resolution if possible!

So sorry to hear of this Karen. I don't suppose it could have anything to do with the medication you're taking? I had to have my meds changed some time ago as I was finding it difficult to concentrate and things have improved since the change. Hope you find something that helps soon. xxx

Do you have a diary facility on either your laptop or phone ? When you feel up to it , spend a little time every evening entering anything you want to do or remember on the diary page for the following day. Your pc or phone will ping at the time you`ve set for a certain task, on our pc a little box pops up showing what i`ve written too. Also if you keep your diary page reduced it will stay out of sight at the bottom of your screen and if something comes into your mind, let`s say a Doctor`s appointment, you can enter it on the diary page straight away and set an automatic reminder. Just keep the diary logged on all the time and you can enter things asap.

Latest posts

Back