Puppets? Puppeteers? Presenters? Parmesan?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ChattyOldBatty

Registered Shopper
Can you imagine working in an industry where no matter how badly you mess up, no matter how much you lie, no matter how much you stumble your way through, no matter how barely able you are to string a coherent sentence together, or provide your customers with information that has been checked and is accurate you're told how WONDERFUL you are?!

Because, I assume that is what we're witnessing here, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Every day, the presenting staff on this channel fluff up, lie, say inappropriate things and some go off on a tangent so far from the point it might as well be in another time zone, but I reckon that somewhere, someone is saying, into their ear "Keep it up, mate. This is golden... go on, tell them the stock is low.... tell them you've got three already at home... tell another made up story about Bet... act like you've never seen fruit juice in your life." But whaddayu think?

It wasn't that long ago that Ideal World appeared to employ human presenters; they had several friendly, personable presenters who didn't make you want to plunge your hand into a NutriBullet just to have an excuse to leave the room to tend to your severed fingers but now, as has been said several times, they have gurning characture presenters getting away with more and more 'zany shenanagans'. But is it really their fault?

I can't imagine that if you or I were a presenteer and the company we worked for was unhappy with our on screen behaviour we'd be able to get away with it for long. So who is really to blame for the degredation of this channel? Is it an intentional effort to wrap things up, send the company down an alley it can't recover from and shut things down or does this low budget edition of "Ex-Childrens TV Presenters Say The Stupiest, Off Topic Things!" actually work and make them way more money?

What do you think?

Parmesan.

Totally agree. It's as if their boss is Arthur Daly....

whatters would be in tears if he could see what was going on with ideal world he was so passionate about the company.

and out of the current presenters i wonder what shaun, dennice and loen think of it.

whatters would be in tears if he could see what was going on with ideal world he was so passionate about the company.

and out of the current presenters i wonder what shaun, dennice and loen think of it.

Ellis got out just in time even if she was pushed!

People must fall for this nonsense the presenters spout. I can tell when I am being lied to, I don't like being patronised or spoken to like I was simple so I don't fall for the nonsense the more outlandish presenters come out with. You can hear the desperation to make a sale in their voices. They would say anything to make a sale. But not to me. And do presenters have to shout?

I hate to disagree, but. The idea that Whatters would be turning in his grave? The man was just as bad as this lot!! Remember the zhuzh dress scandal? I do get annoyed by the idea that before Beqcue, Dirty Peter and Del Boy the presenters were somehow angelic and genuine. Yeah, maybe not as outwardly 'obvious' but more subtle. Shaun, Den and Loen would still use any tactic in the book to make a sale, and Den and Loen used tactics which made me feel genuinely ill they are so disgusting.
There's such an idea that the 'nice' shopping presenters are somehow 'real' and 'genunie' it annoys all hell out of me. When Debbie Greenwood and Julian Ballantyne disappeared from QVC there was almost outrage, demanding to know "what QVC had done with them" and "they were not even allowed to say goodbye", yet no-one has the first idea if they left of their own choice, moved onto a better job and just didn't give a rats ass about their QVC customers, it's just assumed that QVC dumped them in the harshest of ways.

When Hayley Green first joined, there was loads of posts on here saying how lovely and genuine she was, how she was different and just lovely, yet look now, possibly the worst proponent of "this changed my life" every show and "I own this" also on every show, she's also manic, shouty and in my opinion full of it.
All the 'lovely' models too you all trust and think different to Dirty Pete and shouty Beqcue; come off it, they've been on this channel for years, saying everything will fit, everything will work, everything is magical, everything is the best they've ever seen, agreeing a top will fit a size 20 "eeeeeeeezily" on one show, then will fit a size 24 "eeeeeeezily" on the next show......
Paul Brodel, "ooh this is so healthy, do this to cut down on your fat and calories"... the man is enormous and looks like he's about to explode!

I could go on....... I hope the point is made.

The channel has been going down the pipes at a rate of knotts since they lost 98% of their product line. I for one am glad there is an injection of difference into the same 12 shows we have to endure day after day, hour after hour. Its not a serious shopping channel, its a joke of one, but please, stop buying into your own ideas that the only bad presenters on it are the 3 mentioned..... Derrick Belcher, "ooh, this is the best yet, we can't POSSIBLY do this again or better it".......

I didn't and wouldn't name any specific presenter I thought to be a charlatan but ultimately there have to be presenters out there that have some morality and scruples.

Being completely honest, I haven't been a regular viewer of Ideal World for a while now. I can't stand what they have and they way they sell these days, but back when I was watching a couple of years ago, I remember they had a far nicer spread of presenters and guests. At that time, Paul Lavers had returned, they had just taken on Jacqui Joseph and two more female presrnters called Louise and Zoe (I think). They also had a range of guests for different catagories including male guests for technology and cleaning shows and it all seemed to be a far more honest affair.

The variety of presenters and guests made for interesting shows as you didn't get the same show after show after show after show. These days, I genuinely don't know why they don't just record about 20 shows and just play them on repeat.

Debbie Greenwood joining bid was definitely not career advancement that's for sure cant believe she left QVC to get a better job in bid tv.

The "outrage" about Debbie Greenwood and Julien was more to do with no information from Q and this is the same as the disappearance of Lenny .If you create a vacuum people will put their own interpretations and that's what people did I think.

IW to me is not much worse than it ever was .I dip in / out as I do with most channels.I don't take any of it that seriously.

Ideal certainly did used to have a lovely range of stuff! Remember when they were even toying with the idea of a dedicated jewellery channel, the Vault? They had so many ranges of everything it seemed. I can't agree more about the 'why not just show pre-recorded'. I bet everyone who has watched regularly in the last 12 weeks or so could word-for-word just about every show.

Yes Mossie, it wasn't a great career move if she did indeed see it as that, my point was that the public seem to have this relationship with shopping presenters in their minds where everything they say is indeed factual. You should read some of the posts on Peter Sherlock's Facebook page, quite terrifying to be honest. Someone above mentioned Ellis being pushed, and the QVC board deffo thought Julian and Debbie Greenwood were sacked, my point is that we don't know these people.

Recently Dennice and Shaun have on a couple of occasions said, on air, that Ideals fashion is good NOW, and that a few years ago it wasn't very good at all, and that Den never used to buy clothes from IW but does NOW. Uuuuh excuse me!!!! Ive been watching Den sell fashion on IW for over 10 years and she has consistently stated she is loving it, how great it is and doing that shambolic ordering on air crap. I guess they don't think customers have memories....

That's it though isn't it Turandot, why do QVC owe anyone an explanation of a staff member leaving? Maybe Julian specifically asked for them to just let him disappear? Can you imagine if you went in Asda and they announced over the tannoy "Jill from checkouts has left, she's moving to a new job with Tesco".......
You're very right, people do lay interpretations on shoppingtelly much more it seems than 'real life'.
Seriously tho, go have a look at Shylocks fb page if you can...... LOL is all I'm saying :)

I would imagine many viewers feel they "know" presenters as they probably feel the presenter is talking directly to them. I just click over to hear what rubbish they are spouting! Peter Simon once said "i want you to buy this product"!

Well because they present themselves ,and this doesn't only apply to Q, as friendly ,welcoming,on your side , there for you etc. they tell people to contact them ,converse with presenters via their blogs etc.They are blurring the boundaries in order to sell. Live TV is a very powerful tool. people get drawn in .Personally it's of not much interest who comes and goes ,but I know that for some people these personalities are their only friends ,so rather then their favourite presenter/ designer just disappearing ,some sort of up update would be good policy and good manners.But I know they are businesses so that's probably not going to happen.

Latest posts

Back