Win 24 - What a con!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh dearie dearie me!!! You get worse...
I take it you didn't hear Richard Branson then and you didn't see Watchdog recently.
How long has the News of the World being getting away with unethical practice before finally being found out?

You say I'm a brick wall - at least I can substantiate my claims with evidence. You can't - which leads me to believe you have an ulterior motive for trying to make out Win24 is completely above board. Is Derk Smid a good friend of yours?

Better than what?

You said the National Lottery was a con as well but they do give money to charity. So as you believe that Win24 is a con would them giving some of their profits to charity make them better in your eyes as they are doing some good?

Oh dearie dearie me!!! You get worse...
I take it you didn't hear Richard Branson then and you didn't see Watchdog recently.
How long has the News of the World being getting away with unethical practice before finally being found out?

You say I'm a brick wall - at least I can substantiate my claims with evidence. You can't - which leads me to believe you have an ulterior motive for trying to make out Win24 is completely above board. Is Derk Smid a good friend of yours?

I have not watched Watchdog in year nor have I heard anything from Richard Branson so can comment on anything about those.

What the News of the World did is not really relevent to this discussion.

As far as I can see the only evidence you have shown is a negative review and two sites saying companies are not happy with the automated competition entries. None of which show what they are doing as either ilegal or a con.

Why is it that on discussion forums people always think there is an ulterior motive when someone disagrees with them? I am just putting my points across to you there needs to be no other motive. And I have no idea who Derek Smid is. Who is he?

I'm sick of seeing the woman who won the holiday to New Yuk, as she calls it, with a thousand pounds spending money etc. etc.

Why not balance it out with a rucksack winner, eg Mr D from F, and see how pleased they were :giggle:

I have just stated that it is not a con which is what the original op stated and what I am talking about and have been trying to get accross to people on here. What Win24 do is not a con or ilegal - they do what they say they will do.

And if you read the whole thread, you would have heard me say that I done it to get people to read the post. What should I have called it?! ''Win24 not giving the best chances for its customers'' ?! I wanted it to be short and snappy. Also, I never used the word 'con' in my thread, it was only the title. Can't we just leave that now?

Your chance of winning when gambling depends entirely on what it is that you're gambling on. Some bets have little chance of winning, and few gambles actually have a good chance - which is why the house always wins overall.

Correct, but there is always a link between the percentage chance of winning and the amount you stake.

If you bet red on a roulette, it is near enough 50/50, so you get double back....if you bet green, it is much move, obviously.

If you got 5 numbers on the lottery, you would get more money than if you only got 3 numbers.

If you bet on the favourite on the horses, you would get less back than if you bet on the least fave.

% of winning ALWAYS has a degree on the winnings. - Tell me one which doesn't?

Win24 chances of getting a prize worth more than your 'stake' lets call it, is less than 1% ....so you pay nearly £290 over 2 years.....well, if you win, you shouldn't get a £10 voucher or a wii...it should be in the thousands.

I've been playing the National Lottery twice a week for over a year, both personally and as part of a syndicate at work, and haven't won anything at all in that time (not even a tenner) - does that make the National Lottery a con?

If you read what I posted earlier about the lottery, you wouldn't have asked that;

'To be honest, I don't have any objections to gambling. If you want to do it, fine. But you say it is like the National Lottery, but the chances of getting your money back and winning, are around 50-1 while this months top ten winners includes a Wii (worth less than the 2 years subscription), and due to the thousands of customers they have, the chances are near impossible.

Win24 have made atleast £48,000,000 (on the figures on page 1) and £3,000,000 worth of prizes. So less than 10% of takings are given as prizes.
Lottery....50% go to the winners and a large amount go to 'good causes' like the olympics, and hospitals.

So if you don't win in the lottery, atleast you can say, you have helped something like the olympics or giving to charity as it were....but Win24, where do the profits go? Straight to the WIn24 pocket!'

On the lottery, you KNOW the amount of winnings and it will ALL be won! You cant guarentee anything on Win24. Also, with the lottery, you can get out of it....you dont HAVE TO play £12 per month for 2 years do you? Its up to you.

Too be honest its because I did not want to continue talking to a brick wall. My discussion has been purely about if Win24 are a con or not. As they do what they say then they are not a con. It does not matter if you agree or disagree with what they do or not. The simple fact is that they are not a con.

What I have a problem about is that this thread was meant to be about how bad Win24...and 1/2 of you are more worked up about me mistakenly calling is a 'con'. Yes, ok....I done it to get people to view it....but I NEVER used the word con in the thread. I don't know why everybody has an issue about it....it's there now. Deal with it!

I NEVER used the word con in the thread. I don't know why everybody has an issue about it....it's there now. Deal with it!

Yes you did use the word con, whether it's in the subject or body it's still part of your thread. Deal with it! :p

Last edited:
Well it is, I've seen that from day one! There have been enough times when it's been outed too. Richard Branson even gave it away.

Oh come on! A con is a deliberate attempt to defraud - what you're saying is that you think the National Lottery is an attempt to defraud? That just isn't true.

Everyone who buys a lottery ticket is aware that the chance of winning a big prize is practically non-existent - we buy the ticket because there is a chance, however slight, that we may win. We decide that the chance is worth the investment. We take that gamble. But the National Lottery is not a deliberate attempt to defraud.

Well it is, I've seen that from day one! There have been enough times when it's been outed too. Richard Branson even gave it away.

Are you serious? A con is a deliberate attempt to defraud - what you're saying is that you think the National Lottery is an attempt to defraud? That just isn't true.

Everyone who buys a lottery ticket is aware that the chance of winning a big prize is practically non-existent - we buy the ticket because there is a chance, however slight, that we may win. We decide that the chance is worth the investment. We take that gamble. But the National Lottery is not a deliberate attempt to defraud.

There's a big difference - I don't think anyone here would disagree that what Win 24 does is unethical, but what the News of the World was doing was unethical and illegal.

If only you hadnt used THAT word eh Benny? :tongue::grin::wink:

Win24 chances of getting a prize worth more than your 'stake' lets call it, is less than 1% ....so you pay nearly £290 over 2 years.....well, if you win, you shouldn't get a £10 voucher or a wii...it should be in the thousands.

And what you persist in ignoring is that this is quite clear to anyone who signs up. It's spelt out on the website - if you can see the appalling odds then anyone can, and it's entirely up to them whether they sign up or not after taking this into consideration. People are CHOOSING to sign up, nobody is forcing them. Or do you think you're the only person who's able to do the numbers?

well, if you win, you shouldn't get a £10 voucher or a wii...it should be in the thousands.

There's no "should be" about it. It can be whatever the people running it want it to be. There's absolutely no law or rule as to what the return should be. Like all businesses they want to make as much money as possible for as little outlay as possible - if people want to buy into that it's entirely up to them.

Last edited:
And what you persist in ignoring is that this is quite clear to anyone who signs up. It's spelt out on the website - if you can see the appalling odds then anyone can, and it's entirely up to them whether they sign up or not after taking this into consideration. People are CHOOSING to sign up, nobody is forcing them. Or do you think you're the only person who's able to do the numbers?

Thats the thing!! Would you know the really low odds if I wasn't to have said?

You may have knowledge to tell you that it isn't worth while, but there are lots of people who wouldn't.

- What about people without internet access.

The advert says ''Only £11.95 per month'' then shows all the winners who won good prizes.

They don't sign up KNOWING the odds. If you told all the people before signing up that the odds were below 1% of getting your money back, I doubt anybody would sign up....but some people get seduced, and see the winners of the holiday and car, and think ''that could be me'' They don't see the odds.

It may be legal, but it is very unfair, and Win24 know it is, thats why they tie them into a 2 year contract!

Latest posts

Back