Win 24 - What a con!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You clearly can't read then, or choose not to. I'm certainly not going to repeat myself.
If you care to do a little research then you'll find it DOES NOT clearly do what it claims to do on the tin.

People have tried to make out that it is but Win24 does nothing ilegal and does what it says on the tin - if it is ilegal and you have proof then please report it to the authorities.

Where is your proof that they can't win?

People who say they have been members for over a year and never win.

Now come on, put your money where your mouth is - you say it's fair, you show me your proof of winners (and I don't mean replicating the contents of a win24 site page).

If automated competion entry was fair and acceptable, it would not be against the rules in an ever-increasing number of competitions would it?

I daresay the reason people don't win with win24 is because as soon as they are sussed, the competition entries are made void.

So Win24 takes your money, you have a chance to win, not lilkley and they make money out of you...sounds like any other gambling to me.

No....gambling is where you bet money and you have a good chance of winning. What places do you see where the chances of getting your money back at below 1% ?

Hmmm something fishy. I easily found several negative reviews the other day of Win24. Now I can't find them, which suggests they have been removed. I wonder who would be so keen to remove them?

Here are quite a few other people who would disagree with you Alan:

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/isp-warning-on-fraudulent-online-competition/3003983.article

http://blog.loquax.co.uk/news/time-to-ban-automated-entry-competition-services-1184.htm

I find it quite ironic that Win24 shares its name with a well-known trojan which infects computers. It is after all, a trojan in its own environment.

This is another reason why 'Win24' is bad. - If you read my post from yesturday,Alan, about how I compared it with the lottery, this type of 'gambling' is completely different.

Also, you saying it isn't a 'con', even if it is still legal, if they are making such a big proofit, and not telling their customers about the such low amount in prizes, I count that as a con. Also, independant companies are operating competitions to get new buyers to their company Etc. and many you may have to sign up to their news letter. (They do this, so you have a chance of winning, and they get some publicity)...but Win24 take the publicity away from the companies, so you could argue that they are conning the companies.

Alan. What would you do if you owned a company, and were giving a free holiday to somebody...but they had to sign up to your newsletter and go through a few pages of information about your 'deals' on your company, and then the winner is somebody who didn't even enter themselves? Wouldn't you feel conned that their part of the deal wasn't being fulfilled?

You clearly can't read then, or choose not to.

Come on Lottie - thats really rude and uncalled for (that surprises me of you actually)! Lets now let this thread turn into yet another slanging match...these forums have enough of these as it it!

I have seen the adverts a few times and don't remember hearing them claim there is a good chance of winning a large prize. If they do claim that then why not report it to the ASA?

Because like you we actually realise it isn't illegal. Technically neither is it misleading.....But it is aimed at people who are vulnerable/gullible whatever you would llike to call it...and it ain't good stuff. Be as pedantic as you like, we don't give a monkey's toss tbh..if we make ONE person who was on the brink of signing up stop and think better of it then jolly good show!!!!!!

Because like you we actually realise it isn't illegal. Technically neither is it misleading.....But it is aimed at people who are vulnerable/gullible

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because like you we actually realise it isn't illegal. Technically neither is it misleading.....But it is aimed at people who are vulnerable/gullible whatever you would llike to call it...and it ain't good stuff. Be as pedantic as you like, we don't give a monkey's toss tbh..if we make ONE person who was on the brink of signing up stop and think better of it then jolly good show!!!!!!

Someone said that they claimed that there was a good chance to win a large prize. I have not seen/heard that on the adverts but I said if they did say that then it should be reported as that is false - it's not being pedantic. If they are stating that then they are giving false information which the ASA would take them to task over.

You do seem to misundertand me though as I am happy for no one to sign up as I don't like what they do as it spoils peoples chances of winning competitions when they send in thousands of applications at one time. I have just stated that it is not a con which is what the original op stated and what I am talking about and have been trying to get accross to people on here. What Win24 do is not a con or ilegal - they do what they say they will do.

No....gambling is where you bet money and you have a good chance of winning.

Your chance of winning when gambling depends entirely on what it is that you're gambling on. Some bets have little chance of winning, and few gambles actually have a good chance - which is why the house always wins overall.

People who say they have been members for over a year and never win.

I've been playing the National Lottery twice a week for over a year, both personally and as part of a syndicate at work, and haven't won anything at all in that time (not even a tenner) - does that make the National Lottery a con?

You do seem to misundertand me though as I am happy for no one to sign up as I don't like what they do as it spoils peoples chances of winning competitions when they send in thousands of applications at one time. I have just stated that it is not a con which is what the original op stated and what I am talking about and have been trying to get accross to people on here. What Win24 do is not a con or ilegal - they do what they say they will do.

This is more or less what I said at the beginning - and it sent the OP into orbit. Frankly I couldn't care less whether people sign up or not, I just think folk should be realistic about modern business and I'm amazed how emotional people are getting about this. Modern business is cutthroat, it's unethical, it's immoral and it takes advantage of every legal loophole it can find - that's life in the 21st century, and that's Win24. I just can't get worked up about it.

If people can find anything that Win 24 is doing or saying that contravenes any law or broadcasting regulation then I hope they'll go for it and report them to every appropriate body. I still agree, though, that this is most definitely not a con - they're very careful not to promise anything that isn't delivered. They do exactly what they say they will do.

It's a shame that the word "con" was used in the first place, when "rip off" would have been more appropriate. Despite the tension everybody who has posted seems to agree that Win 24 is a rotten deal, and that you'd need your bumps feeling if you were to sign up. In the past there's been plenty of schemes, not necessarily scams that have helped good honest people lose lots of money. Free scratchcards for instance, ring this number...major prize, phone call ends up costing at least a tenner and the prize is unuseable due to the fact it's a holiday with a millions terms and conditions! Watchdog and various media articles have featured these and has done its best to instill in us that something like that is best off in the bin. Same with the late night "quiz" channels, they seem to have disappeared, yet a few years ago they were rife.

Can we not agree to disagree on this, but promote our shared belief that companies who are out there simply to rip you off should be discouraged and hopefully edged off our screens?

Lottery a gamble..yes, chances of winning big prize..poor...but all in a good cause..yes. Gambling..a lot of gambling involves having something to do....so imo slightly better than just throwing money into the ether hoping amazing things will happen. People also overspend, but usually get something to show for their money!

I've been playing the National Lottery twice a week for over a year, both personally and as part of a syndicate at work, and haven't won anything at all in that time (not even a tenner) - does that make the National Lottery a con?

Well it is, I've seen that from day one! There have been enough times when it's been outed too. Richard Branson even gave it away.
However, as someone did point out, lottery money doesn't always go into the pockets of the shareholders, it is put towards good causes.

Come on Lottie - thats really rude and uncalled for (that surprises me of you actually)! Lets now let this thread turn into yet another slanging match...these forums have enough of these as it it!

It's also rude not to answer someone's question, as Alan persists in doing. I've been polite and it comes to the point where, if someone is continuing to bury their head in the sand and ignore any form of 2 sided reasoning, I am not going to continue to be polite. I see Alan consistently has avoided commenting on any of the links I've posted where Win24 are clearly breaking competition rules by entering a competition more than once. As they are using also false email addresses they are again breaking competition rules for multiple entries. This is fraud!

I'm also suspicious of no reviews of Win24 - and of the negative ones I've seen disappearing.
I'm glad this thread comes up so high on google searches. If it means people see it and it stops them signing up, then I shall be pleased.

I'm also glad that competition runners are realising what's happening. THe sooner they all use a capcha mechanism in entries, the better.

Last edited:
Too be honest its because I did not want to continue talking to a brick wall. My discussion has been purely about if Win24 are a con or not. As they do what they say then they are not a con. It does not matter if you agree or disagree with what they do or not. The simple fact is that they are not a con.

Breaking the rules of a competition is not classed as fraud as there is no basis for it and not anything that would stand up in court as they would say the it is the operator of the competitions job to ensure multiple entries are not recived.

You have now said that the. National Lottery is also a con which it obviously isnt as it is tightly controlled and would have been shut down years ago if it was.

Well it is, I've seen that from day one! There have been enough times when it's been outed too. Richard Branson even gave it away.
However, as someone did point out, lottery money doesn't always go into the pockets of the shareholders, it is put towards good causes.

If Win24 started giving say 20% of their profits to charity would that make them better?

Latest posts

Back