JR and DB

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Julia Roberts purports to be vegetarian. Yet she owns at least one Dennis Basso coat. There is no way she can fail to know of his involvement in supplying real fur clothes to the uber rich - but immoral - and celebrities. Does this woman have no ethics? To admit on tv that she owns one of his pieces? I have been vegetarian for 27 years and there is no way I would purchase anything from this man, either for myself or as a gift. My reason for deciding to become vegetarian - I did eat a vegan diet for several months, but was advised by my GP that it was detrimental to my health due to another medical condition I have - was simply because I did not and do not believe animals are there merely for us to kill in order to eat them. They deserve to live a long and happy life. I realise that many carnivores also abhor Basso's practices and would not consider wearing his line. bviously Julia puts her appearance ahead of an animal's life. Incidentally, I have always questioned Julia's commitment to the execution of a vegetarian diet.

I have never heard her say why she is a vegetarian, maybe she just doesn't lle the idea of eating meat.

Everyone has a reason for wanting to be vegetarian. What ever JR's reason is it's her business.
She likes leather bags too. Does that make her bad?

Julia may like many have opted for a vegetarian diet for health reasons rather than ethical ones. I do believe this may be the case from things she said back in the early days of QVC. Her choice, her business not mine. I don't like most of DB's stuff, I really don't like listening to him and I would boycott him for the specific skins he is famous for using. My choice, my business :bear:

Julia Roberts purports to be vegetarian. Yet she owns at least one Dennis Basso coat. There is no way she can fail to know of his involvement in supplying real fur clothes to the uber rich - but immoral - and celebrities. Does this woman have no ethics? To admit on tv that she owns one of his pieces? I have been vegetarian for 27 years and there is no way I would purchase anything from this man, either for myself or as a gift. My reason for deciding to become vegetarian - I did eat a vegan diet for several months, but was advised by my GP that it was detrimental to my health due to another medical condition I have - was simply because I did not and do not believe animals are there merely for us to kill in order to eat them. They deserve to live a long and happy life. I realise that many carnivores also abhor Basso's practices and would not consider wearing his line. bviously Julia puts her appearance ahead of an animal's life. Incidentally, I have always questioned Julia's commitment to the execution of a vegetarian diet.

Maybe it is not a leather coat.

I don't think that was the point the OP was making.
It was along the lines of DB is a wicked man in his work ethic, so therefore a vegetarian should avoid wearing any of his products.

I don't think that was the point the OP was making.
It was along the lines of DB is a wicked man in his work ethic, so therefore a vegetarian should avoid wearing any of his products.

Shouldn't that apply to every presenter / customer, not just JR?

Has she said she chooses to be a vegetarian because she is against animal cruelty or are you speculating? If you are speculating I don't think you should be judging her for her lack of ethics without knowing the full story.

Last edited:
We've had another Basso recently and as I said then people object to Basso because his fur connections but have no issue with someone like Lulu Guinness, Tignanello or B Makowsky. Or even Clarks and Rockport.

The fur trade is cruel but the leather trade is no less so. Or is it OK because cows aren't cute little furry creatures??

As I've said before I'm not pro fur but I eat meat and I wear leather. Basso trades in furs because people buy the damn things. If there was no market he wouldn't trade in them.

Julia may be vegetarian for reasons other than the cruelty aspect. And I think it's unfair to haul her over the coals for buying/wearing a Basso coat. That's a bit like blasting her for buying veg from a supermarket that sells meat!

We've had another Basso recently and as I said then people object to Basso because his fur connections but have no issue with someone like Lulu Guinness, Tignanello or B Makowsky. Or even Clarks and Rockport.

The fur trade is cruel but the leather trade is no less so. Or is it OK because cows aren't cute little furry creatures??

As I've said before I'm not pro fur but I eat meat and I wear leather. Basso trades in furs because people buy the damn things. If there was no market he wouldn't trade in them.

Julia may be vegetarian for reasons other than the cruelty aspect. And I think it's unfair to haul her over the coals for buying/wearing a Basso coat. That's a bit like blasting her for buying veg from a supermarket that sells meat!

I couldn't have put it better myself. I love animals, but I eat meat and wear leather.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I love animals, but I eat meat and wear leather.

I agree & also with Tinkerbelle.

Just a point, that I don't think is often considered, if everyone turned vegetarian (& I can understand the reasons many people do so) domesticated farm animals would hardly exist. Cows, sheep, pigs etc wouldn't be kept in numbers as pets leading long & happy lives would they?

There would be no leather or wool widely available either as it just wouldn't be economic. And the whole of the countryside would look completely different. No pasture lands, neatly cropped green fields, just arable crops or overgrown shrub. Could you imagine what places like the Lake District & Snowdonia would look like without the sheep to crop the grass on the hills? They aren't completely natural landscapes.
Just a thought.

The original post assumes that a vegetarian has ethics. There's no reason to suggest that they have any more or fewer ethics than the average carnivore

S
I agree & also with Tinkerbelle.

Just a point, that I don't think is often considered, if everyone turned vegetarian (& I can understand the reasons many people do so) domesticated farm animals would hardly exist. Cows, sheep, pigs etc wouldn't be kept in numbers as pets leading long & happy lives would they?

There would be no leather or wool widely available either as it just wouldn't be economic. And the whole of the countryside would look completely different. No pasture lands, neatly cropped green fields, just arable crops or overgrown shrub. Could you imagine what places like the Lake District & Snowdonia would look like without the sheep to crop the grass on the hills? They aren't completely natural landscapes.
Just a thought.

So are you suggesting that living a life during which the animal is fattened for slaughter is preferable to no life at all? Are farmers and meat eaters doing them a favour by ensuring there is a demand for animal flesh? So their sole purpose for liviing is to fill the plates of carnivores and the pockets of the farmers and abbatoirs?
I am not naive enough to believe that one day everyone will abstain from eating any animal product. Everyone has freedom of choice and, if your conscience allows you to eat meat, I accept that. But being against animal cruelty is not only the domain of the vegetarian, meat eaters can also do what they feel they are able. If that is to strive not to wear leather if at all possible, that is a positive. Don't patronise companies like Basso who deal in the real fur trade. Doing this would have little impact on you, but a huge effect if carried out en masse on the proliferation of the fur trade.
Now back to Julia. If her reaons for being vegetarian are health grounds, then I accept that she has no qualms about animals being taken from their mother's stomachs to make genuine fur garments for the affluent, or wearing clothes which may not be fur but are made by the same company. If she has chosen a vegetarian diet because she does not agree with animals being slaughtered for their flesh, then she is guilty of double standards.
Whatever the reason, it is ultimately her choice.

Perhaps some of the vegetarians out there might answer this question........

If you were suffering from a life-threatening illness and the curative drug had been tested on animals, would you take it?

Perhaps some of the vegetarians out there might answer this question........

If you were suffering from a life-threatening illness and the curative drug had been tested on animals, would you take it?

Oh Gem, that old chestnut. My DD is vegan, I'll ask her when she comes in from work.

Oh Gem, that old chestnut. My DD is vegan, I'll ask her when she comes in from work.

Thanks, Loveinamist. I admire people with strong enough principles to be a vegan, but Your DD must be a nightmare to feed/clothe etc . Don't know how she does it-I couldn't!

Thanks, Loveinamist. I admire people with strong enough principles to be a vegan, but Your DD must be a nightmare to feed/clothe etc . Don't know how she does it-I couldn't!

My DD was a true vegetarian for 12 years, by true, non fish eating, she is 25 now but felt the need to "go further." She actually liked meat but aged 12 her principals were too strong to ignore. As a vegan, she wears shoes from a vegan website and no longer uses leather bags, belts etc. She screens every foodstuff to ensure no animal products are in it, or indeed used in the process. Her make up is vegan as well. Although she is tee total, wine can be filtered through a fish bladder, hence vegan wine isn't. Powdered animal bone is used in the refining process of many sugars, she will not eat or drink from fine bone china. She will not wear pearls or abalone shell. I could go on. I asked her the medical question and she said, quote, "We can't control how a drug has been developed, the little person can't control that and if the animal has already been used then it is historical, so there is no point that animal having suffered for nothing. This is an emergency situation. But in everyday life I abstain from medications as far as possible and would never have any with obvious animal components such as gelatine for capsules, the ethos of veganism is to eliminate suffering wherever possible and exploitation." end of quote.
She shops in vegan health stores and on line for food and makes alot of her own. Eating out is limited to a vegan cafe. She will not wear wool because of unnecessary cruelty and obviously she will not wear silk. A book "The Face On Your Plate" is very difficult reading. The early journey to veganism was a worry as her mother regarding the whole issue of food but she so knew what was involved and I must say it is easy now and she ensures she gets the necessary nutrients. The only issue being vit.B12 because vegetables are washed too thoroughly and is washed off, it is present in meat only through the animals eating grass etc. She takes a supplement tablet. I have gone on, sorry, but she so knows her own mind and I am proud of her immensely.

Thank you so much for this Loveinamist it is very, very interesting. I am not a vegetarian myself although I do abhor animal cruelty,particularly the fur trade. Your DD seems to be completely committed to her beliefs and whilst many people will not understand the depth of this commitment, I think she is to be applauded and I can quite see why you are so proud of her. As to my drugs question, my opinion is that animal testing is a necessary evil I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back