Rhubarb and Crumble

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I received this tsv today, the first Charlie bear I have had. I am sorry to say, I am disappointed with the quality; I can certainly understand why Hermanns are more expensive. Despite the fact the limited editions are a lot smaller, the quality is first class. I have many Hermanns and Deans LE bears and thought that, because of the price, I would give Charlie bears a chance. It seems to me you get what you pay for; in this case, low price, low quality.

If anyone out there who has had Charlie bears previously feels that I may have received a faulty set of bears, please let me know, as I would like to keep them. Obviously if there is a defect in the bears, I will return them for a replacement.

I think as you obviously have collected Hermanns and Deans bears you will have had certain expectations based perhaps on those previous ranges. I think personally that the Charlie bears are lovely, and of a good quality too, yes they are plush (perhaps your other ranges were not). I've seen other ranges in stores, and personally feel the CB's are nicer and have better expresions than the ones i've seen.

I can't say oh no your wrong as its all personal taste, but if your genuinely unhappy with your TSV bears, you do have the 30 day MBG to return them.

I have been a serious bear collector for many years (I'm old!!) and have bears from most of the main manufacturers as well as many one-offs and small edition bears from the leading bear artists (have spent obcene amounts when I had it to spend) - I found the quality of Deans bears, other than their designer bears, to be very disappointing and very rarely bought them - conversely, I am really impressed with the Charlie Bears quality for cost - no, they are not the same as my Helga Torffs, Janet Clarkes etc - but I wouldn't expect them to be for a tenth of the cost - I have surprised myself by how much I like them and have just ordered Malcolm and Woddy (at last) to add to my collection - the airbrushing on faces and sculptured feet, for me, are outstanding at this price (or should I say 'price point') -the fact that major high end teddy shops like Teddy Bears of Witney and The Bear Garden are stocking them says it all!

I am a collector of Gund bears - Schlepps, however I have quite a few Charlie Bears and find the quality great, they aren't made of Mohair like the expensive ones perhaps you had higher expectations for the materials, but that's why you don't get a Herrmann or Steiff for £25.

Agree with you Tabs that classic collector bears can look grumpy and Charlie bears have better expressions!

Last edited:
I have been a serious bear collector for many years (I'm old!!) and have bears from most of the main manufacturers as well as many one-offs and small edition bears from the leading bear artists (have spent obcene amounts when I had it to spend) - I found the quality of Deans bears, other than their designer bears, to be very disappointing and very rarely bought them - conversely, I am really impressed with the Charlie Bears quality for cost - no, they are not the same as my Helga Torffs, Janet Clarkes etc - but I wouldn't expect them to be for a tenth of the cost - I have surprised myself by how much I like them and have just ordered Malcolm and Woddy (at last) to add to my collection - the airbrushing on faces and sculptured feet, for me, are outstanding at this price (or should I say 'price point') -the fact that major high end teddy shops like Teddy Bears of Witney and The Bear Garden are stocking them says it all!

BTW, I can spell 'obscene' but have this flipping new fangled ergo something keyboard DH bought, which is just not the same, and he doesn't understand why I don't like it - but that's because he doesn't touch type, he uses two very closely monitored fingers (to type of course - what else!!)

BTW, I can spell 'obscene' but have this flipping new fangled ergo something keyboard DH bought, which is just not the same, and he doesn't understand why I don't like it - but that's because he doesn't touch type, he uses two very closely monitored fingers (to type of course - what else!!)

LOL never noticed it TL, I can't spell obscene anyway!

I didn't order the TSV as i really have my eye on Dezel and after getting the catalogue at the weekend I would like Nicholas too! so pleased he made an appearance in the show.

I also ticked from the catalogue James and was more than surprised on a visit to the lakes on Tuesday my O/H pointed out a Charlie bear in a shop window.
Needless to say I had to go in and came face to face with James! he travelled home with me and joined my extra large hug.

I have lots and lots (several 0's in the number:blush:) all makes, Steiff, Hermann etc and many one off's from bear artists but I can only agree with the others that Charlie bears are well made with delightful personalities at a very affordable price that we can 'treat' ourselves without feeling too guilty!

I sometimes look/feel at some of my higher priced well known branded bears and think that they can't really be given a good cuddle they are too stiff even though they are beautiful to look at.

I can only comment on my 1st Charlie bear "Cheeky" he arrived today and I am very impressed with the quality, he seems to be really good value for the money and has the lovliest face, even my OH commented how nice he is ! NICE ! no hes gorgeous !!

I only have 1 other bear from a different range....a Steiff Panda, bought as a OTO a while ago. He cost me £50 at OTO price and to be honest, alltho he's lovely, he's not a patch on my Charlie Bears.

I received this tsv today, the first Charlie bear I have had. I am sorry to say, I am disappointed with the quality; I can certainly understand why Hermanns are more expensive. Despite the fact the limited editions are a lot smaller, the quality is first class. I have many Hermanns and Deans LE bears and thought that, because of the price, I would give Charlie bears a chance. It seems to me you get what you pay for; in this case, low price, low quality.

If anyone out there who has had Charlie bears previously feels that I may have received a faulty set of bears, please let me know, as I would like to keep them. Obviously if there is a defect in the bears, I will return them for a replacement.

You write that you might have a faulty set of bears, could you tell us what concerns you? I am sure that the CB fans here could help.

Rhubarb and Crumble is my first CB purchase. They are adorable, lovely faces and heavier than I imagined they would be. I do not collect bears, so I have nothing to compare them with, but having seen others in the shops at vastly higher prices, they look very nice. For the price they are not collector's bears, but to be played with - as bears should be!:clapping:
However, my Crumble seems to only look up - head tilted back is the normal position - and they both shed alot of hairs. Don't know whether that's normal or not. Something in the plush or on it made my bare arms go pink and itchy. So I may send them back, but they are cute!:sad:

Whilst these bears are priced as "to play with" bears, they are very collectable, specifically the limited edition bears such as the TSV ones.

Very true Tabs, I suppose I was just meaning that I wouldn't be worried about a child (big or small) playing with it as opposed to a £200+ bear. But then, I am not a collector.

I've never bought any of the high end bears you mention, partly because of the price and partly because they've never appealed to me, they seem a bit 'cold' and lacking in personality - no cuddle appeal! I have 5 Charlie Bears and absolutely love them, they have that 'warm' appearance that makes you want to pick them up and hug them.

If the quality on Rhubarb and Crumble isn't up to scratch I'm wondering if it's just because it's the first CB TSV. Trying to produce larger numbers at a lower price often results in a lack of quality, as we've seen with the recent Kipling TSV that many people have said isn't up to their normal standard and also in some other TSVs like Butler and Wilson. I didn't get Rhubarb and Crumble so I'm only guessing.

All I would say is don't give up on Charlie Bears just because you're disappointed with this one, I can't fault any of mine.

I have over 20 Charlie Bears (with more on the way!) and have been very pleased with all of them so far. I too have Hermann and Steiff bears and find the quality of Charlie Bears to be as good as Hermann and Steiff. As I haven't received my Rhubarb and Crumble bears yet I cannot comment on the quality of them but if they're anything like my other Charlie Bears I'll be more than happy.

i currently have 17 Charlie bears, with 2 more due any day, and a further 3 on pre order. If the weren't good i wouldn't have gone back for more.

You write that you might have a faulty set of bears, could you tell us what concerns you? I am sure that the CB fans here could help.

Rhubarb and Crumble is my first CB purchase. They are adorable, lovely faces and heavier than I imagined they would be. I do not collect bears, so I have nothing to compare them with, but having seen others in the shops at vastly higher prices, they look very nice. For the price they are not collector's bears, but to be played with - as bears should be!:clapping:
However, my Crumble seems to only look up - head tilted back is the normal position - and they both shed alot of hairs. Don't know whether that's normal or not. Something in the plush or on it made my bare arms go pink and itchy. So I may send them back, but they are cute!:sad:

Although the arms are jointed, when I move them upwards, they fall down a little - not all the way. My more expensive bears didn't do this. That's what I was referring to when I compared the quality.

Has anyone else found this with Charlie bears?

I do like the way the look when holding hands, which is why, if I did return them as faulty, I would get a replacement set.

Latest posts

Back