Really??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You need to check if they have the same item code - changing the code is another things companies do sometimes.
Good point, I've noticed them do that too! This time it's the same code as the auction today :)

1677949878941.png

I've reported this to both Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority. I've attached photos of the on-air presentation and the website price for both.

The lengthy refunds have also been raised with Trading Standards too.

I've also reported Lindsey Carr to the ASA for a claim she made on air yesterday for a Pearl Necklace that she sold for £399.99p. She made a claim on-air that it "should not be below four figures" and "I used to work in a Jewellery shop and something like this would have gone for 5 to 6 thousands pounds, easily".

I've reported this to both Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority. I've attached photos of the on-air presentation and the website price for both.

The lengthy refunds have also been raised with Trading Standards too.

I've also reported Lindsey Carr to the ASA for a claim she made on air yesterday for a Pearl Necklace that she sold for £399.99p. She made a claim on-air that it "should not be below four figures" and "I used to work in a Jewellery shop and something like this would have gone for 5 to 6 thousands pounds, easily".
I am betting that Ms Carr worked in a branch of Accessorize.

So, an update:

I've had a response today from Citizens Advice (all referrals to Trading Standards are dealt with by Citizens Advice first - and then escalated by them if they feel there has been a breach of the law).

Citizens Advice have confirmed that:

1. Although Gemporia were not breaking any trading laws by selling a ring on-air for higher than their website price, they have decided that the manner in which it was sold (ie, claims made by the presenter), was likely to be misleading - therefore, Citizens Advice have escalated it to Trading Standards for further investigation.

2. With regards to refunds; Citizens Advice have confirmed that Gemporia DO have to refund customers within 14 days by law. They also have to refund to the same payment card that you paid for the item(s) with - unless agreed otherwise. Citizens Advice have therefore confirmed that this has also been escalated to Trading Standards for it to be investigated further too.

This is what Citizens Advice said (this is a direct quote from their email).

"In regards to their refund policy, Gemporia has to pay you the refund within 14 days under the Consumer Contract Regulations." and "The money should be returned using the same payment method, unless you've agreed otherwise."

Therefore, if Gemporia have tried to give you your return postage costs, for damaged / faulty items, back as credit on your account, as they have done with me on occasions in the past, then they should not be doing it. Insist that it goes back on to your original payment card.

So watch this space. I suspect we may see the refund policy on their website revert back to 14 days within the next few weeks.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Advertising Standards Authority about two things that I raised with them too.

It looks like their refund process has definitely improved. 10 days from confirmation that they received the items to the money appearing back in my account. The original email still states 20 days, but they may not have updated the template yet.

Angeline’s shows are notorious for this and was the main reason that I stopped buying. I have spent money with the channel over the years because I trust what they say. But when that trust is eroded there’s no real incentive to buy. When a presenter claims that this is the lowest ever price a product has been on air and I know for a fact it’s been lower, I then question their integrity and that of the entire business. They do themselves no favors by making these proclamations. It’s also made me regret my purchases over the years as I feel slightly duped by it all.
I always feel pushed into a quick decision when the hour is presented by Angelina. Always saying add this, add that to your order. Always pushing bulk buying. I find her very forceful and condescending

I always feel pushed into a quick decision when the hour is presented by Angelina. Always saying add this, add that to your order. Always pushing bulk buying. I find her very forceful and condescending

Angeline has a presenting style that shouts "buy this or I'll come round and smash your face in". She has an 'angry' demeanour. That being said, I find her to be one of the more knowledgeable presenters on the channel.

Ellis is also very pushy - but she has the opposite style. She plays on the 'friendly old lady that everyone likes', 'trust me I've been on TV with Matthew Kelly and Brucie' image. Some of her claims are ludicrous, and Gemporia had an ASA warning last year for one of her misleading sales pitches. She also reads this forum and likes to have a dig at us when we talk about her - but she still hasn't apologised to her viewers for misleading them last year when she flogged a Tanzanite ring for A LOT more than it was available to buy from their website, at full price, on that very same day. So, Hi Ellis - shove your digs up your arse and apologise to viewers :)

I'm not giving you my life story, but I've been watching Gemporia since the days of Russian Alexandrite, and the Roman Glass jewellery: think that was the same kinda time period. BUT, I haven't been buying that long, as you know. In those days when I used to watch, not buy, I used to like Angeline. Don't see her often enough now to see if that's changed ;)

I'm not giving you my life story, but I've been watching Gemporia since the days of Russian Alexandrite, and the Roman Glass jewellery: think that was the same kinda time period. BUT, I haven't been buying that long, as you know. In those days when I used to watch, not buy, I used to like Angeline. Don't see her often enough now to see if that's changed ;)

I personally don't mind Angeline. After Jeff, I think she's the most watchable/tolerable of the current bunch of presenters. She's about the only one left that doesn't shriek, shout or sing - and she's fairly knowledgeable too.

I can see why some people might not like her though. She does present with a bit of an angry / aggressive demeanour. When Sheridan was working on the channel as a producer/director, the pair of them together could be a bit snidey too (Angeline has cut that side out now that Sheridan has gone).

I watch so rarely and for such a short time that I only get glimpses, and haven't watched Angeline for a while now. I went from thinking she was very good and one of the most knowledgeable presenters to getting irritated by her constant talking about her two kids (don't know why anyone on TV wants to keep mentioning their kids by name to the viewers and telling them what their kids are doing - it was odd, in my book, from all sorts of angles) - but I reckon she's either been told to stop doing that or the kids have probably told her to shut up, as they're obviously much older now and were probably cringing. I also got bored with her and Lynn doing a double act as such great friends, all the air-kissing and 'best buddies' act was well OTT in my view, it was like a low budget version of the BAFTAS. But the last time I saw her, which must be quite a while back, I thought how 'shouty' she'd become, and aggressive in her sales pitch. She was on there with one of the 'experts' at the time (not Lehrer) and the bloke could barely get a word in, as she just talked over him. Someone in the background should have told her to shut up and let him say something, it was embarrassing.

I watch so rarely and for such a short time that I only get glimpses, and haven't watched Angeline for a while now. I went from thinking she was very good and one of the most knowledgeable presenters to getting irritated by her constant talking about her two kids (don't know why anyone on TV wants to keep mentioning their kids by name to the viewers and telling them what their kids are doing - it was odd, in my book, from all sorts of angles) - but I reckon she's either been told to stop doing that or the kids have probably told her to shut up, as they're obviously much older now and were probably cringing. I also got bored with her and Lynn doing a double act as such great friends, all the air-kissing and 'best buddies' act was well OTT in my view, it was like a low budget version of the BAFTAS. But the last time I saw her, which must be quite a while back, I thought how 'shouty' she'd become, and aggressive in her sales pitch. She was on there with one of the 'experts' at the time (not Lehrer) and the bloke could barely get a word in, as she just talked over him. Someone in the background should have told her to shut up and let him say something, it was embarrassing.

I can tell it wasn't Lehrer. He's the king of talking over people and loving the sound of his own voice.

Angeline has a presenting style that shouts "buy this or I'll come round and smash your face in". She has an 'angry' demeanour. That being said, I find her to be one of the more knowledgeable presenters on the channel.

Ellis is also very pushy - but she has the opposite style. She plays on the 'friendly old lady that everyone likes', 'trust me I've been on TV with Matthew Kelly and Brucie' image. Some of her claims are ludicrous, and Gemporia had an ASA warning last year for one of her misleading sales pitches. She also reads this forum and likes to have a dig at us when we talk about her - but she still hasn't apologised to her viewers for misleading them last year when she flogged a Tanzanite ring for A LOT more than it was available to buy from their website, at full price, on that very same day. So, Hi Ellis - shove your digs up your arse and apologise to viewers :)
Angeline was there at the start, when Steve Bennett set up the company, so if she's not knowledgeable by now, she never will be!
Being Steve's sister-in-law, she probably has a financial interest too.

Angeline was there at the start, when Steve Bennett set up the company, so if she's not knowledgeable by now, she never will be!
Being Steve's sister-in-law, she probably has a financial interest too.
His sister in law? Really??? Who are the siblings???

I didn’t realise that Nick Davies was related to Steve Bennett? Every day is a school day!
Never heard this before either! Seems a bit odd when Angeline and Nick stayed when Steve left company on 2008.

His sister in law? Really??? Who are the siblings???

Never heard this before either! Seems a bit odd when Angeline and Nick stayed when Steve left company on 2008.
Nick Davies is Sarah Bennett's brother and is married to Angeline. Sarah is Steve's wife.

I didn’t realise that Nick Davies was related to Steve Bennett? Every day is a school day!
Sarah Bennett, Steve's wife, is Nick Davies' sister.

Latest posts

Back