Another change - not for the better!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Poppy. We don't give a shiny shite about your boyfriend. Bore off.

If she shut up about him for 5 seconds I might feel more inclined to watch and buy.

Poppy. We don't give a shiny shite about your boyfriend. Bore off.

If she shut up about him for 5 seconds I might feel more inclined to watch and buy.
The problem is, there are people that do because they see these presenters as friends.

Just look at Mirabelle as an example - she used to send the presenters birthday presents, cards, Christmas gifts, etc.

It's all a bit cringey really

The problem is, there are people that do because they see these presenters as friends.

Just look at Mirabelle as an example - she used to send the presenters birthday presents, cards, Christmas gifts, etc.

It's all a bit cringey really
For some lonely old people like my MIL they are company and they like hearing stuff like that if they see no one else on a day to day basis. Not always cringey, although sending presents is a bit.

For some lonely old people like my MIL they are company and they like hearing stuff like that if they see no one else on a day to day basis. Not always cringey, although sending presents is a bit.
You get presenters welcoming new purchasers to the "Gemporia family". That always makes me cringe.

It's an approach that obviously works, otherwise you wouldn't have viewers very heatedly trying to prevent others criticising their "mates". Even if that criticism is valid.

It's not logical, but very, very emotional. And as Gemporia presenters try to get their viewers buying emotionally, and not rationally, it's not surprising when uberfans such as Mirabelle turn out to have spent surprising amounts of cash on Gemporia's goods.

It's not logical, but very, very emotional. And as Gemporia presenters try to get their viewers buying emotionally, and not rationally, it's not surprising when uberfans such as Mirabelle turn out to have spent surprising amounts of cash on Gemporia's goods.

I dread to think how much that poor woman spent with Gemporia over the years.

It must have been in the tens of thousands.

I dread to think how much that poor woman spent with Gemporia over the years.

It must have been in the tens of thousands.
And she's not alone. But it's one thing to be addicted to the rush you get from shopping: especially since selly telly and buying online doesn't feel like traditional shopping. I have had my own issues in the past with buying stuff as a distraction from personal issues: nothing major, but I can understand why it happens.

But Gems then tells you that what you're shelling out for now might not be as much as it should be, (even though it can be much, much more than bought elsewhere), but you can expect your purchases to appreciate over time as they're "heirloom" and "legacy" pieces on a par with stuff for sale in Tiffany's or in premier auction houses, or on show in The Smithsonian.

So any guilt you might feel for throwing your money away on overtreated and expensive tat gets minimised by the presenters' suggestions that it's actually an investment that will benefit future generations of your family.

Which I find absolutely disgusting.

And she's not alone. But it's one thing to be addicted to the rush you get from shopping: especially since selly telly and buying online doesn't feel like traditional shopping. I have had my own issues in the past with buying stuff as a distraction from personal issues: nothing major, but I can understand why it happens.

But Gems then tells you that what you're shelling out for now might not be as much as it should be, (even though it can be much, much more than bought elsewhere), but you can expect your purchases to appreciate over time as they're "heirloom" and "legacy" pieces on a par with stuff for sale in Tiffany's or in premier auction houses, or on show in The Smithsonian.

So any guilt you might feel for throwing your money away on overtreated and expensive tat gets minimised by the presenters' suggestions that it's actually an investment that will benefit future generations of your family.

Which I find absolutely disgusting.

This is where I think Mirabelle fell for the spiel. She often messaged in to say "I've just added X piece to my legacy collection". I think she genuinely thought she was buying investment pieces for her family.

The reality was, they had to set up a GoFundMe page to cover her funeral costs and debts (this is in the public domain before a certain member shoots me down......).

She doesn't even get a mention at Gemporia now. Not even in a sense where "One of our old loyal customers, rest her soul, used to love pieces like this". Strange considering they're "friends in your living room"...............

They've simply moved on. Christine from Northamptonshire seems to be the new Mirabelle now.

They're told day in, day out - to the point where they turned off the function for people to leave comments on the Gemporia Facebook page.

Rather than taking it on board, they responded with "our viewers like to be educated".

Their ignorance will be their downfall in the end.
Actually, you can comment on their FB page. Lots of people moaning about Jade still. I looked a couple of days ago and commenting is still live.

This is where I think Mirabelle fell for the spiel. She often messaged in to say "I've just added X piece to my legacy collection". I think she genuinely thought she was buying investment pieces for her family.

The reality was, they had to set up a GoFundMe page to cover her funeral costs and debts (this is in the public domain before a certain member shoots me down......).

She doesn't even get a mention at Gemporia now. Not even in a sense where "One of our old loyal customers, rest her soul, used to love pieces like this". Strange considering they're "friends in your living room"...............

They've simply moved on. Christine from Northamptonshire seems to be the new Mirabelle now.
Oh my gosh really? She died? I wondered why I didn't see her name anymore. And so much for her legacy collection ☹️

Actually, you can comment on their FB page. Lots of people moaning about Jade still. I looked a couple of days ago and commenting is still live.

They've changed it back to being open again then.

They definitely closed it for a period of time last year.

My mother thought that Toby Cavill is about 40. It was in 2020 or 2021, when the Polish-language Gemporia channel still existed. Toby was born in September 1988.
I have to do an off-topic 'bit' now. But seeing Toby was born in 1988, makes me feel old. (This is the 'bit'). I have an acquaintance (used to be a friend, but less interaction so hence the downgrade :p ). He was born in 1989 and I've known him since he was about 17 give or take. That also makes me feel old that he's now 34. Hey ho. Soon be retired. :p

I saw a necklace I liked on a show. I thought about it and a couple of days later thought I would order and take a look at it. I phoned customer service. In the past if I was able to say which show I saw it on, with who and at which price that auction price was honoured.
No more.
I did the usual, who, when and how much and was told they would honour that for goodwill as they don't honour last seen auction price any more. So no more price pledges and no more last seen auction price. That's more time pressure. If you don't order during the show you are lumbered with the much higher web price or trying to get a presenter to show it and hopefully at the same price, or better, than before.
All the niceties have gone...
I've noticed some of the sale prices are more than the Web price but when I went back to the Web to check it they had inflated the price by £hundreds. Gemporia is getting like TJC each day.

I've noticed some of the sale prices are more than the Web price but when I went back to the Web to check it they had inflated the price by £hundreds. Gemporia is getting like TJC each day.
The other factor, I think (happy to be corrected), is that if the presenter declares the hour as a "sale", even if the on-screen segment graphic doesn't say "sale" or they're not wearing their Bid TV t-shirts, you cannot claim a Price Promise - assuming that it's not a TJC price rollercoaster.

There was a period recently where every goddamn hour was a "sale" and someone on here pointed out why that might have been happening.

The other factor, I think (happy to be corrected), is that if the presenter declares the hour as a "sale", even if the on-screen segment graphic doesn't say "sale" or they're not wearing their Bid TV t-shirts, you cannot claim a Price Promise - assuming that it's not a TJC price rollercoaster.

There was a period recently where every goddamn hour was a "sale" and someone on here pointed out why that might have been happening.
I saw one of everyone's 'joint' favourites, Jess, recently sell something previously on, and said, it's not a sale so you can claim price pledges. So, it happens: rarely. ;)

If you spot any examples of this, please let me know. Gemporia have already had a warning for this from the ASA - so if they were to do it again, surely they'd get a 'strike' against them.

They cannot refuse a price pledge unless it states on screen that is a sale or clearance or something along those lines.

If the presenters says its a sale, or says 'no price pledges', but it's not backed up by graphics on the screen, then they cannot refuse a price pledge.

I've had this argument with them many a time with call centre staff - and when I've got a supervisor or manager to call me back, they've agreed with me that not everyone listens to the presenter (I don't blame them!), not everyone listens to a full hour, and some people just 'glance in' on the app - therefore, it's unreasonable to turn down a price pledge to someone that tuned in between 8.20pm and 8.30pm based on what a presenters said at the start of the 8pm hour.

If they haven't bothered to make it clear on a graphic, then that's their problem.

I saw a necklace I liked on a show. I thought about it and a couple of days later thought I would order and take a look at it. I phoned customer service. In the past if I was able to say which show I saw it on, with who and at which price that auction price was honoured.
No more.
I did the usual, who, when and how much and was told they would honour that for goodwill as they don't honour last seen auction price any more. So no more price pledges and no more last seen auction price. That's more time pressure. If you don't order during the show you are lumbered with the much higher web price or trying to get a presenter to show it and hopefully at the same price, or better, than before.
All the niceties have gone...

I've had the same experience, so I just stopped buying.

They really expect you to knowingly pay more than the 'auction price' if you want an item outside of its auction window. Yeah, I want it so much, I'll pay an extra £100+ more than everyone else because I called you three hours after the auction. Oh, and you want me glued to the screen all day long because you don't know when it'll next show up? Nah, bore off.

It used to be that the trade off for buying outside of the auction was no pledge. Now you get to see the item on sale, you don't get a pledge, and the difference to you is much larger because you paid over the odds to begin with. I just buy from TJC now.

Latest posts

Back