Mabe pearls

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

GrahamBristol

Registered Shopper
To be honest I had no idea what a Mabe pearl was. The presentation used the usual confusion to show high value (silly) money round pearls at Tuscon (where else?!) to set an expectation of the value of this 18mm button/blister pearl. A few times Dave said that he wouldn't be surprised if people would be multi buying sixes, sevens, eights even tens - and you know what they did. They 'sold out' the majority of the 314 Mabe pearl pendants before the spectacular price was announced. First price was £199 'and I am still not done!'. With the on screen number diminishing the final price £149! Probably a good thing that Ellis had a Tena in. That was the price, and no easy pay. How do you think the customer felt that had just signed up for ten, or any multiple? Of course I could have it wrong and perhaps the customer is delighted with their investment which they will liquidate in due course as they might have access to the vibrant reselling market. Keep an eye on your favourite online auction site. Of course they can call the call centre and modify their order. So the whole stock sold out in the presentation and a couple of minutes later the web site allowed me to put three in my basket and start the check out process - of course it would. So if they had early on given the price then every customer would have made an informed decision. Feels like the usual technique of pressurising the audience to make poor decisions means that they end up not selling the whole stock and generating extra calls to their call centre of customers calling in to amend or perhaps cancel their orders. I suppose that they think they know what they are doing.
As you expected once they loaded the details of the next item being sold, time for more mutton fat!!!, the item was in the Just Missed. Evil sh*ts.

To be honest I had no idea what a Mabe pearl was. The presentation used the usual confusion to show high value (silly) money round pearls at Tuscon (where else?!) to set an expectation of the value of this 18mm button/blister pearl. A few times Dave said that he wouldn't be surprised if people would be multi buying sixes, sevens, eights even tens - and you know what they did. They 'sold out' the majority of the 314 Mabe pearl pendants before the spectacular price was announced. First price was £199 'and I am still not done!'. With the on screen number diminishing the final price £149! Probably a good thing that Ellis had a Tena in. That was the price, and no easy pay. How do you think the customer felt that had just signed up for ten, or any multiple? Of course I could have it wrong and perhaps the customer is delighted with their investment which they will liquidate in due course as they might have access to the vibrant reselling market. Keep an eye on your favourite online auction site. Of course they can call the call centre and modify their order. So the whole stock sold out in the presentation and a couple of minutes later the web site allowed me to put three in my basket and start the check out process - of course it would. So if they had early on given the price then every customer would have made an informed decision. Feels like the usual technique of pressurising the audience to make poor decisions means that they end up not selling the whole stock and generating extra calls to their call centre of customers calling in to amend or perhaps cancel their orders. I suppose that they think they know what they are doing.
As you expected once they loaded the details of the next item being sold, time for more mutton fat!!!, the item was in the Just Missed. Evil sh*ts.
I did catch this yesterday, and I was truly shocked at the £149 price tag. I was thinking £29!!! Noticed Adina brought them back later in the evening-cancelled orders, perhaps?

I did catch this yesterday, and I was truly shocked at the £149 price tag. I was thinking £29!!! Noticed Adina brought them back later in the evening-cancelled orders, perhaps?
I did flick onto Gemporia when the twitchy one was on and noticed that she was wearing it. I didn't see the presentation of it even though I would have been fascinated to hear the language that was used and also how many were up for sale. But I would be pretty certain that it was the duped multi buyers changing or cancelling after hearing the £149 bombshell.

Yes and yes, probably!

Mabe (mah-bey) is the Japanese word for the type of mollusc in which they are usually grown. Also called "blister" pearls because that's what they are (imagine when you swear under your breath as you get a burn from a hot, upper shelf as you try to manhandle the Christmas bird out of the oven and a few minutes later look at your hand).

The irritant is usually situated near the lip of the mollusc (to try to get the associated colours) and is gradually covered by the nacre. It's then cut out of the shell, trimmed, often filled and backed, in this particular example by another piece of pearlised shell, which is why the treatment code on the pendant was 'A'.

Here's one available on JM (£69.99, no treatment details at all so could well be irradiated, coated or assembled itself...)
download.jpeg

Are they given that name because they Mabe pearls, or they Mabe a thin layer of nacre over a glass bead?
I have never got to the bottom of understanding how large the nucleus is in any pearls.
If it was just a couple of 2mm and the rest of the size was nacre then that is what I would hope. But my suspicion is that they are larger and so the larger pearl is not as much actual pearl as it might appear. Of course once it is a pearl most of us would have no way of knowing the true structure.

One presenter (Ellis, if my memory serves me correctly), a few days ago, kept switching terminology during a pitch - talking about the pearl being nucleated in one breath, then switching to 'cultured' in another breath - which rang alarm bells straight away.

Nucleated Pearls and Cultured Pearls are supposed to be entirely different things - but I suspect that at Gemporia, they're muddling the two up.

A Nucleated pearl has a bead in the shell - and then the nacre layers around the bead. A 12mm nucleated pearl could be an 11mm bead with 1mm on nacre around it.

A cultured pearl should simply be an 'irritant' placed inside the shell - which could be a grain of sand, a grain of rice, or something along those lines. In theory, a 12mm cultured pearl should mean that other than a tiny irritant, the remaining pearl should be entirely made of nacre. A 12mm cultured pearl, should be almost entirely 12mm of nacre.

One presenter (Ellis, if my memory serves me correctly), a few days ago, kept switching terminology during a pitch - talking about the pearl being nucleated in one breath, then switching to 'cultured' in another breath - which rang alarm bells straight away.

Nucleated Pearls and Cultured Pearls are supposed to be entirely different things - but I suspect that at Gemporia, they're muddling the two up.

A Nucleated pearl has a bead in the shell - and then the nacre layers around the bead. A 12mm nucleated pearl could be an 11mm bead with 1mm on nacre around it.

A cultured pearl should simply be an 'irritant' placed inside the shell - which could be a grain of sand, a grain of rice, or something along those lines. In theory, a 12mm cultured pearl should mean that other than a tiny irritant, the remaining pearl should be entirely made of nacre. A 12mm cultured pearl, should be almost entirely 12mm of nacre.
Ah, yes... that's what an Edison pearl is? That's why they're so much cheaper than a cultured SS or Akoya pearl. (Large bead, thin nacre.) Is that right?

Ellis likes to portray herself as a pearl expert. She may well be. Watched a bit this afternoon she spoke at length about pearls. It was an incredibly dull speech. I was multi tasking. Mr Baron is no longer providing pearls but they still have the best to offer?

Ellis likes to portray herself as a pearl expert. She may well be. Watched a bit this afternoon she spoke at length about pearls. It was an incredibly dull speech. I was multi tasking. Mr Baron is no longer providing pearls but they still have the best to offer?
Ellis thinks she's an expert on everything.

They don't need Charlie Barron now. They have Dave Troth - their resident expert on everything.

Ah, yes... that's what an Edison pearl is? That's why they're so much cheaper than a cultured SS or Akoya pearl. (Large bead, thin nacre.) Is that right?

I suspect they're a large bead, thin nacre yes - but when they're not transparent about treatments at the best of times, and then you throw in the untrustworthiness of the Chinese with it too, god only knows what they actually are.

"The Edison pearl is a bead-nacreous cultured fresh water pearl. In general, freshwater pearls(What is Freshwater Pearl?) are produced by non-nacreous culture, which generally takes 3-5 years to grow. The finished freshwater pearls have different shapes(Different Pearl Shapes for Different Designs), relatively few are perfectly round, and the size is about 2-9mm.

Edison pearls have a nucleus mold implanted in the gonad of the mother takes 3 years to grow. Because the nucleus mold is 6-8 mm, Edison pearls are twice the size of freshwater pearls (9-16 mm in diameter) and have a high roundness rate. Thanks to the technique of bead-nacreous culture, the white Edison pearls have a brighter luster and whiter color than freshwater pearls, comparable to South Sea white pearls"

source: https://eusharon.com/blogs/blogs/what-is-edison-pearl

Speaking of pearls, Angeline just described a large pearl as being just covered with huge layers of pearlesence but isn’t that just how they grow? Just pointless chatter.

She's talking complete nonsense. Pearlescence is the lustre. You can't get layers of a lustre.

You get layers of nacre which give off pearlescence.

They must get these GIA AJP accreditations free in boxes of corn flakes!

Latest posts

Back