Mabe pearls

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They don't remember anything because they don't refresh their knowledge. I didn't know it's even possible when someone works in the gemstone industry.
She's talking complete nonsense. Pearlescence is the lustre. You can't get layers of a lustre.

You get layers of nacre which give off pearlescence.

They must get these GIA AJP accreditations free in boxes of corn flakes!
They used to play a video of Charlie outlining the five "virtues" of pearls. "Orient" was one, I'm sure. Viewers of Gemporia don't need a "Jewellery Professional" set of letters after their name to know that's the proper term, isn't it?

They don't remember anything because they don't refresh their knowledge. I didn't know it's even possible when someone works in the gemstone industry.

Presenters used to say that they have to resit their exam once a year to remain up to date - so that shouldn't be the case.

That being said, I think Lindsey Carr would struggle to remember her own name! Ironically, her surname is 'Szeborowski'.

I presume she can't spell it so just sticks with 'Carr' because it's easy.

Assembled Pearls? Erm..... what?

Screen Shot 02-20-24 at 09.18 PM 001.JPG

View attachment 27864

lab made apparently

Natural pearls are initiated in nature more or less by chance, but cultured pearls are human-initiated, formed by inserting a tissue graft from a donor mollusk, upon which a pearl sac forms, and the inner side precipitates calcium carbonate, in the form of nacre or "mother-of-pearl".

lab made apparently

Natural pearls are initiated in nature more or less by chance, but cultured pearls are human-initiated, formed by inserting a tissue graft from a donor mollusk, upon which a pearl sac forms, and the inner side precipitates calcium carbonate, in the form of nacre or "mother-of-pearl".
Cultured pearls are lab-made? Not bad opinion. There's a grain of truth in it. (y)

They say it's natural, cultured pearl...

But "natural pearl" means "wild pearl" (therefore NOT cultured!).

exactly, one found in the sea nd thats misspelling ... I mean if you like it and like the design then any money is worth it. Just they try and pretend it has a future value. At least with gold you know it can go up in price (and down !!).

exactly, one found in the sea nd thats misspelling ... I mean if you like it and like the design then any money is worth it. Just they try and pretend it has a future value. At least with gold you know it can go up in price (and down !!).
Moreover, you never know what is under the nacre. Small grain of sand... or big glass bead?

Moreover, you never know what is under the nacre. Small grain of sand... or big glass bead?
Well in theory, it should be fairly easy to tell. 'In theory' being the key part.

'Nucleated Pearls' contain a glass bead.
'Cultured Pearls' contain a small irritant.

However, Gemporia seem to switch between the two terminologies for the same item - confusing everyone in the process.

Well in theory, it should be fairly easy to tell. 'In theory' being the key part.

'Nucleated Pearls' contain a glass bead.
'Cultured Pearls' contain a small irritant.

However, Gemporia seem to switch between the two terminologies for the same item - confusing everyone in the process.
Can "baroque pearls" be nucleated?

Can "baroque pearls" be nucleated?

Yeah. That's why they often look narrow at one end - but have a 'ball' shape at the other end.

The red arrows below point to where the 'bead' is - then you can see the flatter bit at the other end which is where the nacre formed 'freely' away from the bead.

I think the original intention is that they're all set out to be round pearls with a round bead - but the ones that don't form correctly and become odd-shaped and 'undesirable' get given the name 'baroque' to make them sound fancy with a fancy price tag to match.

wnms05.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that nucleated pearls are not much better than faux Majorica pearls (man-made beads coated with fish scales or mother-of-pearl).

Yes. Most Mabe pearls are. Nothing to do with lab creation. They're "blister" pearls grown on, not in, the mollusc. Once harvested, you have to trim the pearl from the shell, often leaving you with a "prawn cracker"-like object which needs a backing (mother of pearl usually). Additionally, depending on what you have left, you may choose to fill the cavity. Thus 'A'ssembled.

Yes. Most Mabe pearls are. Nothing to do with lab creation. They're "blister" pearls grown on, not in, the mollusc. Once harvested, you have to trim the pearl from the shell, often leaving you with a "prawn cracker"-like object which needs a backing (mother of pearl usually). Additionally, depending on what you have left, you may choose to fill the cavity. Thus 'A'ssembled.

That's a new one on me - thanks for that. I'm not really into pearls and organic so-called 'gemstones' because they're not stones - so matter how much the industry tries to tell us that they are 'gemstones'.

So, basically, they're yet more inferior crap from Gemporia. But they're not priced as inferior crap though.............

That's a new one on me - thanks for that. I'm not really into pearls and organic so-called 'gemstones' because they're not stones - so matter how much the industry tries to tell us that they are 'gemstones'.

So, basically, they're yet more inferior crap from Gemporia. But they're not priced as inferior crap though.............
In my opinion, this is one case where the demand for these comes from the jewellery industry alone. They sit low in settings so are perfect for more everyday wear rings, for example. I love pearls but 3D versions. Personally, I can't see why you would want a loose Mabe pearl - heart shaped or not - unless you needed it for a project. Sell them on JM for sure but GC?

Latest posts

Back