Really??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

SnowMoon

Registered Shopper
This is something else that is going to have to change before they get another red cent from me. Yesterday, there was a lilac fireball pearl necklace in the auction. I was really tempted but as I have foresworn purchasing from them until they get their act together I resisted. It was a hefty £499 in the auction but it was the last one, and looked nice. That was in the auction, just yesterday. I looked on the web today. 24 hours later. It is now selling for £311. 19 in one of their constant "sales". Bearing in mind there are no price pledges if it is priced lower on the web. That's over £180 less. Over a third less - just 24 hours later. I always thought the auction was supposed to give your the lowest price - not so, and this is not the first time I have seen this. I have seen stuff on a show, seen the auction price and within a day it was on the web for less.
What's the point of watching? I am so glad I stuck to my promise of not buying that pearl necklace. They need to sort their pricing policy out and tell us what the hell it is, because right now I am very lost and pretty angry about it. It feels like a rip-off.

To make it worse, I just noticed the web listing at £311.19 has "Sale - £77.80 off this item" on it. So that makes £388.99 - as the non-sale price - still over £100 less than the auction price. Are they making this up as they go along?
I'm off to TJC and QVC until at least Christmas. If they carry on like this, Steve's investment is going to be like sticking an elastoplast on a severed artery.

This is something else that is going to have to change before they get another red cent from me. Yesterday, there was a lilac fireball pearl necklace in the auction. I was really tempted but as I have foresworn purchasing from them until they get their act together I resisted. It was a hefty £499 in the auction but it was the last one, and looked nice. That was in the auction, just yesterday. I looked on the web today. 24 hours later. It is now selling for £311. 19 in one of their constant "sales". Bearing in mind there are no price pledges if it is priced lower on the web. That's over £180 less. Over a third less - just 24 hours later. I always thought the auction was supposed to give your the lowest price - not so, and this is not the first time I have seen this. I have seen stuff on a show, seen the auction price and within a day it was on the web for less.
What's the point of watching? I am so glad I stuck to my promise of not buying that pearl necklace. They need to sort their pricing policy out and tell us what the hell it is, because right now I am very lost and pretty angry about it. It feels like a rip-off.
You're certainly not going mad. I've seen this too, quite recently. I was a bit taken aback, frankly.

Aside from the fact that the 7am show is the worst time to buy, Lindsey Carr's sales spiel about "lowest prices" ("Clare Bear" - shoot me now, someone, please) seem borderline dishonest.

Yup, with you on the 7am. The necklace was in a 7am show and I have noticed this in that show before. In the past there was a pendant I liked. I asked them to show it and they did - at a price that was HIGHER than the one it had been on the web for ten minutes previously. Obviously I did not buy. I even messaged in saying "are you sure, it was less on the web?" they did not budge. Massive rip-off for the unwary.

Yup, with you on the 7am. The necklace was in a 7am show and I have noticed this in that show before. In the past there was a pendant I liked. I asked them to show it and they did - at a price that was HIGHER than the one it had been on the web for ten minutes previously. Obviously I did not buy. I even messaged in saying "are you sure, it was less on the web?" they did not budge. Massive rip-off for the unwary.
Angeline’s shows are notorious for this and was the main reason that I stopped buying. I have spent money with the channel over the years because I trust what they say. But when that trust is eroded there’s no real incentive to buy. When a presenter claims that this is the lowest ever price a product has been on air and I know for a fact it’s been lower, I then question their integrity and that of the entire business. They do themselves no favors by making these proclamations. It’s also made me regret my purchases over the years as I feel slightly duped by it all.

I've pulled them up about this a few times before and I've been refunded the difference each time as "a gesture of goodwill" when I've pointed out that it is illegal to sell something for more than its advertised price.

If the non-sale price on the Web is £388.99, they cannot sell it for more on-air.

I would suggest reporting this to Trading Standards AND the Advertising Standards Authority.

Don't forget that the presenters have a habit of saying "we operate on tiny margins". A third of the difference in price is NOT a "tiny margin".

I've reported them before to the ASA and they are good at giving warnings. I've also threatened Gemporia with court action in the past - which was settled out of court. At the end of the day, if they knew they weren't in the wrong, they wouldn't have settled out of court.

Interesting. I did not know that. I did take a picture on it in auction - which includes the price. In case I decided to order it later. I've just taken a snap of it on the web. So, I can prove what I am saying. Why do they carry on doing it though, if they have had warnings? If it illegal why hasn't action been taken?

If it illegal why hasn't action been taken?
Because a lot of people don't know their rights, and those that do probably don't take it further if they get the difference back in price by arguing it out.

It's the same as the current 30 day refund 'policy'. The law says 14 days - but until they're reported, and action is taken by Trading Standards and / or the ASA, they'll just keep fobbing people off.

I've reported them so we'll see what the outcome is. I've also reported Lindsey Carr for a claim she made on air yesterday.

This is either more signs they are in an organisational mess and/or much worse
I posted a message earlier in the week about an Idar pink morganite ring I had received. I paid £249, very pretty ring, lots of gold and very happy. I have since seen the same on twice in last few days, closing once at £232 and then today at £299 ..... !!

I posted a message earlier in the week about an Idar pink morganite ring I had received. I paid £249, very pretty ring, lots of gold and very happy. I have since seen the same on twice in last few days, closing once at £232 and then today at £299 ..... !!
I hope you got your price promise difference back?

When Steve was on the other day he said "remember your price promise" someone said something in his ear and he then said "if we still do that I think we do or we did anyway ask"

Kind of sums the whole thing up

Do you know roughly what time this was on in that hour please? I'm going to report it to Trading Standards.

They're taking us for mugs now.
I checked the YouTube live feed and it was on around 11.42am, although there may be a time delay in transmission . I took a screenshot if that helps!

1677938875195.png

When Steve was on the other day he said "remember your price promise" someone said something in his ear and he then said "if we still do that I think we do or we did anyway ask"

Kind of sums the whole thing up
It won't be long before it's on its way out in my opinion. They're making it increasingly difficult to claim price pledges now.

In fact, that's something else that I'm fairly confident that they're doing unlawfully - changing terms and conditions without notifying customers.
When other companies change their terms and conditions, they tend to send emails out notifying Customers that their Terms and Conditions have changed. This is to give you the chance to "opt out" if you want to.

When I pulled Gemporia up about the refunds taking so long, they told me "Our terms and conditions state that refunds can take up to 30 days - and you agreed to this when you opened your account".

But I didn't! I opened my account over 10 years ago - and many of their terms back then are totally different to their terms now (14 day refunds back then, more opportunities to get 'price pledges' back then, etc).

I'm almost certain you are supposed to be notified when terms and conditions change.

I checked the YouTube live feed and it was on around 11.42am, although there may be a time delay in transmission . I took a screenshot if that helps!

View attachment 25321

That is perfect! Thanks for that. I'm on the case right now. I shall be sending that screenshot, plus a screenshot of the web price to both Trading Standards and the ASA.

Making a profit is fine - that's what businesses are for. But when we're being ripped off, lied to on-air and being taken for mugs, that's crossing the line as far as I'm concerned.

Screen Shot 03-04-23 at 02.22 PM.JPG

So the law is quite clear, "if a customer is charged more for a product than what was advertised. they are entitled to ask to be refunded the price difference".

The advertised price is £57.99 - so they cannot legally charge £79.99 on-air. Anyone that paid that price is entitled to the difference back.

Latest posts

Back