Schedule changes?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TheManWithNoName

Registered Shopper
I might be reading into things too much, but it sounds like there could be a bit of a schedule change coming up?

Over the new year weekend, someone messaged into Gems and said how much they like Jeff but they "don't get to see him much with him being on so late". Jeff said "you'll be seeing more of me soon - but I can't say too much at the moment"

He was covering the breakfast show this morning, and he's said "I won't be with you at all this weekend - instead, you'll be seeing me on the following Wednesday afternoon."

In the meantime, Lynn Jinks has announced that she's no longer going to be working on Sundays (I don't know why she bothers at all because she's on less and less these days anyway).

I've been told that Rachel Hatton has announced she's coming back from maternity leave soon too. I haven't seen that myself - but I have no reason to doubt the person that told me.

So, possible schedule changes to fit everyone in again with the following in mind:

Rachel Hatton is, allegedly, returning.
Lynn Jinks is no longer doing Sundays.
Ellis no longer does Fridays.
Kate McCarthy seems to have reduced her hours,
Jeff is very popular.

This is just a suspicion, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see the following changes:

Rachel Hatton returning to her afternoon slot - alongside Jeff on the 'rotation days'.
Lindsey Carr going back to mornings - with Lynn Jinks and Kate McCarthy sharing the 'rotation days'.
Jess Foley being the 'sub' presenter - which allows her to cover everyone, like she tends to do anyway.
The return of 'pre-recorded' shows at weekends to give us even more Primal, Kimbie, Jadeite or gold with high profits margins - or potentially, my gut feeling says, the return of Millie Griffiths to replace Jeff.

Thoughts?

I have always been a massive cheerleader for "Team Jeff". But, he is getting a little too "polished" and beginning to toe the company line a bit more than he used to. With all the schtick and spiel. I preferred him being simple, direct, not-too-hard-saleman-ish and showing off his genuine knowledge and interest in stones. Don't get me wrong he is not turning into a male Jess Foley - but he is definitely a bit closer to that than he used to be - and it makes me a bit sad.

I have always been a massive cheerleader for "Team Jeff". But, he is getting a little too "polished" and beginning to toe the company line a bit more than he used to. With all the schtick and spiel. I preferred him being simple, direct, not-too-hard-saleman-ish and showing off his genuine knowledge and interest in stones. Don't get me wrong he is not turning into a male Jess Foley - but he is definitely a bit closer to that than he used to be - and it makes me a bit sad.

Every presenter has changed quite noticeably I've noticed. It's almost like they've been told how they should come across on-air........

Even Rosie Wells has become quite hard sell now - and she was one of the best presenters on Gemporia.

Jeff is still the easiest watch on the channels though. The rest on Gemporia are unwatchable now - even presenters I once used to like.

I never knew why Jeff was stuck away sometimes, he is the best presenter IMHO across any channel and I could only presume for them (Emporia) that slot was a good one ?

He was one of the presenters that lost their jobs last year when it became apparent they had money problems.

After a couple of months or so, they decided to "go live" again at weekends, and as Jeff is so popular, presumably he was asked to go back to cover them - and he must have chosen to do so.

Jeff is the only presenter that has fixed days and hours (every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, 11pm until 3am) - whereas all of the other presenters fit into the 2 day week, 5 day week rotation.

Presumably, Jeff is being 'promoted' and will now have a time slot during the day time hours and also switch to the standard 2 day week, 5 day week rotation.

I might be reading into things too much, but it sounds like there could be a bit of a schedule change coming up?

Over the new year weekend, someone messaged into Gems and said how much they like Jeff but they "don't get to see him much with him being on so late". Jeff said "you'll be seeing more of me soon - but I can't say too much at the moment"

He was covering the breakfast show this morning, and he's said "I won't be with you at all this weekend - instead, you'll be seeing me on the following Wednesday afternoon."

In the meantime, Lynn Jinks has announced that she's no longer going to be working on Sundays (I don't know why she bothers at all because she's on less and less these days anyway).

I've been told that Rachel Hatton has announced she's coming back from maternity leave soon too. I haven't seen that myself - but I have no reason to doubt the person that told me.

So, possible schedule changes to fit everyone in again with the following in mind:

Rachel Hatton is, allegedly, returning.
Lynn Jinks is no longer doing Sundays.
Ellis no longer does Fridays.
Kate McCarthy seems to have reduced her hours,
Jeff is very popular.

This is just a suspicion, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see the following changes:

Rachel Hatton returning to her afternoon slot - alongside Jeff on the 'rotation days'.
Lindsey Carr going back to mornings - with Lynn Jinks and Kate McCarthy sharing the 'rotation days'.
Jess Foley being the 'sub' presenter - which allows her to cover everyone, like she tends to do anyway.
The return of 'pre-recorded' shows at weekends to give us even more Primal, Kimbie, Jadeite or gold with high profits margins - or potentially, my gut feeling says, the return of Millie Griffiths to replace Jeff.

Thoughts?
Lynn stopped working weekends a while back now

She must have changed again when she moved from afternoons to mornings.
Possibly. But she's definitely been doing weekends (until now, which will just be Fridays and Saturdays from now on).

I suspect she'll gradually wind down to leaving this year anyway. It's obvious that she's winding down her hours on Gemporia as her new business gets busier.

Jeff was best when he was allowed to go a little "rogue" in the overnights and, when he had to do the computer input as well, that was even more fun. He still has that down-to-earth spark, I think. He just goes off script a little and chats just enough about his other interests to keep the 4 hours entertaining. I've never heard him push the utter BS (e.g. the latest sh1te about Indian diamond rough temporary embargo) that Lindsey and Jess do to fill their airtime. He is the closest to a radio chat show format, where he can be on in the background.

Go Team Jeff 😀

[Moderator Edit: We would like to apologise for the temporary interruption to our normal schedule of withering scepticism. Unfettered gushing is not our normal service. If you have been affected by the issues raised by this post, please take two more valium.]

I get the feeling that Jeff is uncomfortable with the "scripted phrases" - and says just enough to keep the bosses happy. Jim is/was fairly similar - but Jim used to toe the company line a little bit more than Jeff (excited bounces on tat items, the 'drenched in gold' scripted line, etc).

I'd put the Gemporia presenters into tiers.

There's the 'Tier 1s': Serial liars with no shame whatsoever:

Jess Foley, Lindsey Carr.

There's the 'Tier 2' presenters: Completely incompetent and out of their depth.

Cheralene Lavery. (Jess Foley and Lindsey Carr fit into this category aswell).

There's the 'Tier 3' presenters: CAN be knowledgeable and informative - but regularly use misleading or over-exaggerated claims:

Ellis Ward, Lynn Jinks.

There's the 'Tier 4' presenters: Generally quite tolerable or watchable - combining some fairly useful knowledge alongside some comments that should be taken with a pinch of salt:

Rachel Hatton, Kate McCarthy, Poppy Valentine (Hadkinson), Cherry Cavill & Emily Fox (Emily probably floats half way between Tier 3 and Tier 4).

The 'Tier 5s': VERY knowledgeable and can be very informative in depth - but then spoil it with some comments that should also be taken with a pinch of salt:

Adina, Angeline & possibly Rosie Wells.

'Tier 6': The knowledgeable, informative, and more trustworthy than the others - but still prone to the occasional "Company script" line:

Jim Brooman. Nick Davies.

'Tier 7': Very similar to Tier 6 - but, overall, the most trustworthy and 'viewer orientated' while doing just enough "sales script" to keep the bosses onside.

Jeff Hayden.

Then there's 'Tier WTF'. If you could mix variations of Tiers 3 to 6, sprinkle them with a bit of bi-polar, ADHD, ants-in-the-pants and 300db shouting and screeching, you'd get this tier. In that tier, you would have :

Scatty Hattie.

It's personal choice to a degree. I actually enjoy Hattie, she makes me laugh, whereas I would never in a million years say Adina is knowledgeable. Everything is genuinely the best whatever she has ever seen or she is buying it for her girls.....my main bugbear though is how she is incapable of finishing a sentence. It is infuriating.

Agree about Lindsay though, I don't want her to be proud of me. I don’t know her. While I am being catty though, she looks ridiculous in those headbands. She isn't a 5 year old. Or Alice in Wonderland.

Adina does have her annoyances - but I disagree that she isn't knowledgeable. When she actually spends the time on presentation, without all the Gemporia BS, she is probably the most knowledgeable presenter on the channel. I suspect that's why she always gets product launches - such as the Tulelei, Nilamani, etc.

Hattie drives me mad. She's far too overconfident and loud and loves the sound of her own voice. She might be funny at times - which is fine at appropriate times (Destello or homewares) - but not during gold hours and during more considered purchase shows.

The thing is, when the Queen died and Gemporia presenters toned it right down, Hattie was BRILLIANT! Very calm, professional, not at all shouty and enjoyable to watch. So she does have the capabilities of being a really good presenter. Unfortunately, she just loves the sound of her voice too much to do it for a prolonged period.

Aree about Lindsay though, I don't want her to be proud of me. I don’t know her. While I am being catty though, she looks ridiculous in those headbands. She isn't a 5 year old. Or Alice in Wonderland.
Perhaps she has a thing for middle class 1950s Americana and that's her style but I agree - the overly mumsy thing is a bit scary in a fully grown woman!

'Tier 7': Very similar to Tier 6 - but, overall, the most trustworthy and 'viewer orientated' while doing just enough "sales script" to keep the bosses onside.

Jeff Hayden.
You forgot to add "and wearing the most outrageous glasses frames and wardrobe of shirts" 😀. Puts JF and her red or grey knitted affairs to shame.

Perhaps she has a thing for middle class 1950s Americana and that's her style but I agree - the overly mumsy thing is a bit scary in a fully grown woman!

I doubt Lindsey Carr can even spell 'Americana'. I doubt very much that she has any knowledge of it.

If you asked Lindsey Carr how long ago 1950 was, she'd probably say it was ten minutes before 20:00.

You forgot to add "and wearing the most outrageous glasses frames and wardrobe of shirts" 😀. Puts JF and her red or grey knitted affairs to shame.

Jeff's shirt/top budget: £8900 per year
Jess Foley's shirt/top budget: £8.90 per year

Last edited:
I doubt Lindsey Carr can even spell 'Americana'. I doubt very much that she has any knowledge of it.

If you asked Lindsey Carr how long ago 1950 was, she'd probably say it was ten minutes before 20:00.

Jeff's shirt/top budget: £8900 per year
Jess Foley's shirt/top budget: £8.90 per year

I strongly suspect that she can't tell the time at all when it's in the 24 hour format to be honest.

Poor Lindsey - however truth hurts. She's probably a really lovely person and ideal for panto, which I imagine she's very, very good at but .....
I would imagine she'd forget her lines considering she can't even get the ones right that are on a big screen in front of her eyes!

Latest posts

Back