the tomato TSV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

shushkin!

Registered Shopper
Hi

I wondered how everyone who bought the tomato TSV back in the spring are getting on with their toms.
I really hummed and harred about buying these but finally went for it in the end.
The plants have grown really well and there are loads of fruit but waiting for it to ripen, the tiny tumbles have started though. Mind you, my beefsteak and tigerella's are doing really well to so it is hard to compare.
I have munched some of the tasty tumble toms for my lunch. Very nice:)

I bought them for my other half as he's a mad keen gardener. Our tumblers are still little and green but we have loads of them. Other half seems really pleased with them. He grows em and I eat em!!:D

I got them, the ones that grow like a hanging basket is full of fruit that is green but we have hgad about 20 red ones and they have been loved by all.

The type you put in the pot like bags have grown SO tall, but with most of the fruit at the bottom but none of it is red yet.

Definately glad I went for these.

Just one thing....once the Summer is over do these die and that is it? I thought there was a way to use them over and over but someone said I would have to throw them out after this crop.

Any idea?

Hi Irishbliss,

Hubby is very into gardening so has given me his reply: You can save one tomato from each plant (a windfall, or one on the ground will do). Open the tomato & spread the tomato across a sheet of newspaper and allow to dry. Collect some of the seeds, place in an envelope, store in a dry place and in March next year they're ready to sow! make sure you keep the seeds seperate (if different tomatoe types) as they are easy to mix up. Do this every year and they last forever.

Hope this helps.:)

special tomatoes

I got them, the ones that grow like a hanging basket is full of fruit that is green but we have hgad about 20 red ones and they have been loved by all.

The type you put in the pot like bags have grown SO tall, but with most of the fruit at the bottom but none of it is red yet.

Just one thing....once the Summer is over do these die and that is it? I thought there was a way to use them over and over but someone said I would have to throw them out after this crop.

Any idea?

Well, once the frost starts then they have had it. Tomatoes are most definitely tender and sun lovers. The corpses will go in the compost bin but I will save the last couple of very ripe toms to save the seed for next year. I know they are hybrids and wont come exactly true but they will be close enough for my requirements. I will just scoop the seeds out of the fruit, wash and then dry. They will get put in a packet, labelled and put away ready for sowing on the window sill in February. Toms are so easy to grow from seed.

I'm not in the least bit greenfingered but was inspired by a friend who was in a tomato growing competition with her partner to give them a go this year. I have picked around a dozen ripe ones so far and there are plenty more just starting to ripen up. They are very nice, though I can't help thinking it would be easier to buy a few packs from M&S!

Hi Irishbliss,

Hubby is very into gardening so has given me his reply: You can save one tomato from each plant (a windfall, or one on the ground will do). Open the tomato & spread the tomato across a sheet of newspaper and allow to dry. Collect some of the seeds, place in an envelope, store in a dry place and in March next year they're ready to sow! make sure you keep the seeds seperate (if different tomatoe types) as they are easy to mix up. Do this every year and they last forever.

Hope this helps.:)

Thank you and your husband, thatis fantastic news, so happy now. My tomatoes are wonderful now, everyday we are getting a ripe bunch. Great for saving money too..cherry tomatoes can cost an awful lot.

Any idea?

Good answer from Tweez's hubby!

The other thing you can try is taking cuttings.

If you have offshoots growing out from the main stem [the ones you're supposed to remove, if you get round to it] you can take these off, once they're about 4-5 inches long, remove the lower leaves, and root them.

They'll need to be overwintered indoors, of course, but if you have a conservatory or heated greenhouse, they'll sometimes give just enough tomatoes to add to a salad at Christmas.

It's not foolproof, of course, and the plants do need heat and light, but you can grow the cuttings on to make new plants next year.

Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the great tip Sublime. I will give that a try this autumn.
Good answer from Tweez's hubby!

The other thing you can try is taking cuttings.

If you have offshoots growing out from the main stem [the ones you're supposed to remove, if you get round to it] you can take these off, once they're about 4-5 inches long, remove the lower leaves, and root them.

They'll need to be overwintered indoors, of course, but if you have a conservatory or heated greenhouse, they'll sometimes give just enough tomatoes to add to a salad at Christmas.

It's not foolproof, of course, and the plants do need heat and light, but you can grow the cuttings on to make new plants next year.

Latest posts

Back