Ultrasun - NOT Safe As Described

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

leeds_lad

Registered Shopper
To the many people who have either purchsed or are thinking of purchasing this product, do not be fooled in to thinking it is safe as a once a day application....one of the main selling points of the product.

Read this report and it is named. Loses 74£ of it`s effectiveness after half a day. Maybe QVC meed to stop selling this product. Supermarket own brands tested better! So not only is Ultrasun expensive, it is NOT as safe as they claim apparently.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/offbeat/warning-over-once-a-day-sunscreens-1-7935985

To the many people who have either purchsed or are thinking of purchasing this product, do not be fooled in to thinking it is safe as a once a day application....one of the main selling points of the product.

Read this report and it is named. Loses 74£ of it`s effectiveness after half a day. Maybe QVC meed to stop selling this product. Supermarket own brands tested better! So not only is Ultrasun expensive, it is NOT as safe as they claim apparently.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/offbeat/warning-over-once-a-day-sunscreens-1-7935985

Abi from Ultrasun has been posting this on social media

"But we were delighted but not surprised to have passed (first time) the SPF test that Which did. They tested 4 brands for long lasting protection and gave the average decline in protection. We have asked Which for the breakdown by product but they declined to give this to us. As an average we can't really comment as it reflects other brand's performance and not Ultrasun. We have total faith in all our independent tests on Ultrasun's performance. I do however agree - once a day needs to be communicated responsibly. Some products advertise once a day and don't guide you on how to use them properly. We are passionate about our honesty and education but we are always listening to our customers"

Abi from Ultrasun has been posting this on social media

"But we were delighted but not surprised to have passed (first time) the SPF test that Which did. They tested 4 brands for long lasting protection and gave the average decline in protection. We have asked Which for the breakdown by product but they declined to give this to us. As an average we can't really comment as it reflects other brand's performance and not Ultrasun. We have total faith in all our independent tests on Ultrasun's performance. I do however agree - once a day needs to be communicated responsibly. Some products advertise once a day and don't guide you on how to use them properly. We are passionate about our honesty and education but we are always listening to our customers"

She would never admit to a loss of 74% effectiveness would she. The product sold as a multi-application would not warrant the extra excessive cost they charge. May as well get an Asda home brand factor 30 if thats the case at half the cost. But it`s the safety aspect of mis-selling that concerns me, hence the reason for my post. Safety first, profits last!

So now all of a sudden you're supposed to "use it responsibly" I've never bought Ultrasun because I knew nothing can stay on your skin all day no matter what she says, it also made me laugh when she says you can put the teeny tiny bottle away for next year if you haven't used it but yes you're right, the safety aspect of telling people "once a day" is a concern. She's been found out now, let's hope that when she tells people to reapply throughout the day, they'll see this is just a typical expensive QVC product, and that's it.

Just adding that I find Superdrugs sun protection great, reasonably priced, and it's delivered free too and you can collect points.

Last edited:
I tried it and it did nothing to prevent redness on the face and prickly heat which Abi the "skin expert" claimed. I used it religiously but for me the facial burning was worse with Ultra sun . im not a sun worshpper and dont lay in the sun for hours .i wanted it for daily out and about like walking the dog. I wouldn't go near it again.

I think I remember this blew up a few years back about stating once a day only. Abi then again stated sensible and with children use more often. It then faded until now and of course the old selling technique had returned.

On QVC Facebook page this has popped up over the last week someone even put a link to the paper and Ultrasun was mentioned as not being 100% for all day use.

which? have never rated this range for some time now. but i dont rate it from personal experience its an expensive mistake.

Would NEVER buy Ultrasun partly because l can't stand the guest and her claims and also because l would never trust a once a day sun cream. I will always reapply throughout the day regardless of what is said. I think Abby talks a load of ****.

Personally I like the stuff and have never ever burned with it and neither has hubby .. It's like anything in life .. Common sense
.... I've never had any problems at all ... Do they mean even though you don't burn it can still be dangerous ? .. .. We do reaply when really hot ... But generally as far as personal experience tells me no burning at all ... However I always carry some around with me .. Nothing is ever definate in life of course .. Only the obvious .... Hope that's not morbid lol

Talking about Ultrasun I bought the eyecream and would not recommend it. It rolls off the "eye area" and looks a right mess I could pat it on or rub it in but it goes into little flakes. A total waste of money.

I wouldn't use the eye cream and not too fussed about the face cream. I do use the other products and have never had any problems with burning.

So now all of a sudden you're supposed to "use it responsibly" I've never bought Ultrasun because I knew nothing can stay on your skin all day no matter what she says, it also made me laugh when she says you can put the teeny tiny bottle away for next year if you haven't used it but yes you're right, the safety aspect of telling people "once a day" is a concern. She's been found out now, let's hope that when she tells people to reapply throughout the day, they'll see this is just a typical expensive QVC product, and that's it.

Just adding that I find Superdrugs sun protection great, reasonably priced, and it's delivered free too and you can collect points.

Superdrug have a vegan one too.

*Each product has their own definition of a day, either on the packaging or Abi shouting at us - Piz Burn says six hours, Boots & Ultrasun 8 hours, P20 say 10 hours. They are vastly different periods so to average out the findings seems somewhat flawed.

The definition of 'a day' used by the Which and this journalist isn't made clear. As the items set themselves vastly different targets for efficacy and stability - 40% difference between the highest and lowest - the only way to judge them accurately would be to see their individual scores.

Suncare products and personal preferences vary so massively that one of the few immediate conclusions would be read the label to make sure you're safe.

I have noticed recently though that she has been giving ‘additional warnings’ with regards to the application of the product. I know she has always stated that if you are hot then to re-apply again, but I have noticed recently a ‘subtle’ change over her claims with regard to in and out of water usage and that if this is constant to reapply again. The price has also been mentioned recently insomuch as that the presenters are acknowledging it is more expensive but that if you compare it to only using it ‘once a day’ then it is still fairly economical. Unless you don’t go out in the sun at all, (hence why I have a Vitamin D deficiency) or if you do wear a sun-repelling lead case (I am being a tad facetious). The point is as with anything, a ‘selly telly’ flogger, is going to use the ‘independent testing’ results to their advantage and like all ‘good’ salespeople interpret the results to suit themselves. No as with anything in like, caution is the key and what works for one may not necessarily work for another, go with what you know!

Well, I personally like Ultrasun.
I have used it in Mexico and Egypt and never burnt ( apart from the odd bit I missed)
I only apply it once a day and am often in and out of the water and I lay out in the afternoon sun too. I've never had a problem with it and it works well on both my husband and myself with no burning.
Maybe it's works differently on different people depending their skin ph, sweating or whatever.
But for me, I will continue to use as it works effectively once a day and saves on luggage abroad.
I agree it's expensive, unless bought in a TSV, but as apply it less often, it's still a winner for me.

I like Ultrasun, it is definitely the best sunscreen I've ever used, but it is not truly 'once a day' application, even the leaflet enclosed in the packaging tells you you should reapply after swimming.

I like this it suits me and I have used it in Malaysia and Singapore with out burning. As I have had reactions to suncream in the past I will stick to what suits me.

I like Ultrasun too. Use the factor 50 on my kids. So I order the big pump of it and a couple of sports spray factor 50 too. I spray their arms, neck and collar area, back of neck and then either spray on my hands to apply to their faces or use the cream for that. It is the quickest way to keep them safe for the whole of the school day. I can't trust them to do it themselves and they never burn. Me and hubby use it too.

I also like Ultrasun and have used it scuba diving with a wetsuit in both the Caribbean and the Maldives without ever burning and I'm fair skinned. Obviously, I'm careful and do not spend hours out in the tropical sun from the start of the holiday and I often reapply on the shoulders and face after a few hours, or sometimes top up with the little bottle of ordinary spf I carry around with me. I don't stay out in the midday sun, even by the end of the holiday, but you can't avoid the sun altogether on a dive boat. It really is just common sense. Ordinary sun cream needs to be reapplied after every foray into the water and most children hate this, so for me Ultrasun is worth its price, even if it does have to be reapplied one more time after lunch.

Like i said folks....this post was more for safety and health reasons as a warning to purchase with consideration to what i put. It is in no way a reflection of your choice to buy. If it works for you and your happy, then that`s fine if you understand the correct use and not just as stated as a once a day application. Hope you all heed the warnings on any label on any sun product and you all stay safe this summer :)

Latest posts

Back