Alison Young 'Qualified Beauty Expert' ?!?!?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The Gin Queen

Registered Shopper
Could someone PLEASE tell me what 'qualifications' she has, when undertaken, and what refresher courses she has?!?
As it seems she has spent most of her career at Q, I would REALLY like to know - is it worth sending a request to Q towers?!?
I don't think having a free lunch and freebies from various companies equals a 'training session' either...
....oh and how old actually is she?!?
Sorry if this has been a previous thread, but couldn't find any definitive answers!

She always introduces herself these days as 'qualified beauty expert' she never used to do this. 'Alison Young beauty expert' she used to say, now the word qualified has been added in. Have questions been raised similar to above post?

Well way back in the last century over 25 years ago, she was a trainer for Clarins. Remember her saying this way back, and worked in a spa which had high end clients. Since then had been a sales woman at QVC. I nearly PMSL when she stated she was a professional make up artist once on air. This was while poking a model in the eye with a make up brush.

i don't think alison young s the bestsest make up artist.... but how much more qualified does a beauty therapist have to have ...also she's making a lot more money selling gloop on qvc that working in any spa no matter how high end!

she never ever said she was a plastic surgeon she said she was a beauty therapist. two years in tech college at best lol

Alison Young is a beauty "presenter" and has probably only become an "expert" through her twenty three years at QVC, a real expert though would recommend to someone products outside of QVC that they think would help, but because she can only recommend QVC products, that makes her no different than a shop assistant selling beauty products on the dreaded high street.

Alison Young is a beauty "presenter" and has probably only become an "expert" through her twenty three years at QVC, a real expert though would recommend to someone products outside of QVC that they think would help, but because she can only recommend QVC products, that makes her no different than a shop assistant selling beauty products on the dreaded high street.

No doubt she has never spent a single penny in her entire life on any beauty product and is awash with all the freebies from manufacturers and QVC guests - nice little perk if you can get it !

I'm not sure what qualifies as an expert-is it just longevity in the beauty industry or continuing professional development?

I just think of Alison as the Beauty sales presenter-I'm afraid she doesn't impress me with her knowledge. She repeats herself over and over with the same claims for every brand.
I reckon I could learn most of it off GOOGLE!

Last edited:
Who remembers when Prescriptives appeared on QVC? Suddenly AY let slip she had actually been using one of their products for many many many years. Yet never ever a hint before the brand popped up on QVC. She also wore their perfume for years as well. So you can bet AY quietly uses brands that are not on QVC. So if not paid to push it to customers says nothing.

Before Noah was a lad, AY trained in "all areas". She used to reel off all her areas of expertise direct to camera for a while, including aromatherapy and, for all I know, open heart surgery. Sadly, an ITEC certificate and a weekend course or two, when Dodos still strutted their stuff, doesn't really add up to a whole lot of beans in 2017. The main disqualification is that she looks an absolute tuttle most of the time.

No doubt she has never spent a single penny in her entire life on any beauty product and is awash with all the freebies from manufacturers and QVC guests - nice little perk if you can get it !

I agree, makes her little more than a tv blogger, bragging about how amazing the stuff she gets for free is......well it would be amazing wouldn't it, free stuff generally is.

I often wonder how she copes without her 'must have', 'desert island' 'can't live without' products when the brand is dropped by QVC. She was a huge advocate of Aveda and had practically everyone of their shampoos in her shower for the various needs of her hair. And don't get me started on their paddle brush!

She used to work at the Grayshott Hall spa which I believe is in Surrey. They charge > £500 per night and offer various treatments / packages. I did make some enquiries into booking there once but they would not respond to repeated e-mails so they can go screw themselves.

Why does her age matter?

It gives us the opportunity to see if she's a good advert for all the products she touts. I believe she is in her early 50s and looks OK. At least she doesn't look plastic surgeried up to the eyeballs like some others. I bet she does dermal fillers and thermage, though.

she's got to be one of the most popular presenters on qvc. she stood while hundreds of people (paid homage) i mean asked her for tips on the spot at the last beauty bash. she was patient funny and very kind to everyone. that cannot be said about some of the other beauty reps that were rude and pompous

Could someone PLEASE tell me what 'qualifications' she has, when undertaken, and what refresher courses she has?!?
As it seems she has spent most of her career at Q, I would REALLY like to know - is it worth sending a request to Q towers?!?
I don't think having a free lunch and freebies from various companies equals a 'training session' either...
....oh and how old actually is she?!?
Sorry if this has been a previous thread, but couldn't find any definitive answers!

I suppose under the FOI technically you could email/write and enquire, as yes I am curious, I know she stated that she has in the past, lectured, brought brands into this country (I think she was instrumental (with Alexis) in bringing l'occitane to this country), but this could be very 'vailed'. I mean lecture could just mean she did a WI (or other group meeting), once and elevated this into 'lecture' status. I am not saying she has done as she does seem to be fairly knowledgable (as much as 'the gnome' is with regards to gardening) and from Q's point of view their credentials must have to check out as someone somewhere over the last 20 odd years would surely have stated something!
Though when I have done a cursury google, it is just that one same phrase 'Qualifed Beauty Expert'! Hmm, I am with you the cynicisam is rising, but she does seem to be fairly knowledgable on the 'gunk' that she sells!

I suppose under the FOI technically you could email/write and enquire

The FOI Act only applies to government and public bodies not to individuals and companies. We've no actual right to know anything about her qualifications - though it is fun to speculate :)

Unlike some of the other Q presenters, AY doesn't have a Linkedin page which of course would show her 'qualifications'

Latest posts

Back