Alison Young 'Qualified Beauty Expert' ?!?!?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She sells beauty products. She must do it well enough to keep her job. I like her no bull **** approach to the industry even if she is abrupt. People who have met her say she is nice. She probably got her BTEc or C&G in beauty when she left school and has worked since. I'd rather watch her than Jill Franks.

No doubt she has never spent a single penny in her entire life on any beauty product and is awash with all the freebies from manufacturers and QVC guests - nice little perk if you can get it !

And still applies her own makeup like an amateur.

You'd think with all the "real" makeup artists that she sells alongside, she'd have picked up a few tips now and then. I remember seeing her on a Mally show several years ago and she said she'd had her makeup done - I could tell... it was the only time I'd ever seen her eyeliner blended instead of drawn on like a toddler had done it! Oh, and she'd lost the purple shiny bruise stripes, sorry, highlighter.

And don't get me started on her use of buzzwords. Tightlining comes to mind. I was shown how do do it nearly two decades ago by a Trish McEvoy artist yet she starts spouting it on every show a while back, while still having no idea how to do it herself. She'd probably heard one of the Bobbi Brown artists mention it and latched on to it to make her sound up to speed with the beauty world.

Bet all the models are relieved she's not tried that one on them :whew:

I`ve no idea which qualifications she does or doesn`t have but she`s worked for QVC in a sales capacity for such a long time that her actual hands on experience must be very limited these days, not to mention outdated. I go by what I see and for a woman who is well experienced in TV work and who knows the ins and outs of what the camera highlights on air, her makeup and hair is often dire and looks as if a first year NVQ student has done it.
I`m not disputing she may be very nice in person and that she`s been instrumental in bringing certain brands to QVC but I think to call her a beauty EXPERT is pushing it a bit. She may be an expert sales woman but IMO that`s the only title I`d give her.

She was on the other night in this bright red sack dress, made her look 3 times bigger, with the landing strip shiny highlighter just awful. As I said before the the dark roots lank looking hair is now back to the blond all the way again.

And still applies her own makeup like an amateur.

You'd think with all the "real" makeup artists that she sells alongside, she'd have picked up a few tips now and then. I remember seeing her on a Mally show several years ago and she said she'd had her makeup done - I could tell... it was the only time I'd ever seen her eyeliner blended instead of drawn on like a toddler had done it! Oh, and she'd lost the purple shiny bruise stripes, sorry, highlighter.

And don't get me started on her use of buzzwords. Tightlining comes to mind. I was shown how do do it nearly two decades ago by a Trish McEvoy artist yet she starts spouting it on every show a while back, while still having no idea how to do it herself. She'd probably heard one of the Bobbi Brown artists mention it and latched on to it to make her sound up to speed with the beauty world.

Bet all the models are relieved she's not tried that one on them :whew:

I do this, used to do it years ago.

she's doing something right. why slog yourself to death massaging spotty backs when you can sell billions of pounds worth of skincare sitting on your prosteria.

she's not great at make up application she's not dextrous enough thats why she can't really make herself up very well. or others. she's still the most popular beauty expert and qvc are very glad to have her i'd say.

well done alison young!

I heard here say to LE Caroline when speaking about the Captain on the trip to the Isle of Wight. He'd asked when having his picture taken if Alison and Will were a couple. Alison then said she had Wills other half working on the farm with her.

I like Alison, at least I can feel a bit more relaxed when she's on air. I know she can be a bit screechy but I'd rather watch her than most of the others. She really is quite funny too - I've met her at the beauty bash a couple of times over the years and she's very genuine and friendly to talk to and went out of her way to give people advice.

I think it might do her a favour to show her qualification somewhere but I don't think it's as important as it seems. Besides, to claim you're qualified on TV means you must - there must be some rule about that. I'd rather listen to someone who has worked in the industry for years, from the bottom up, learning as they go and picking up tips and tricks of the trade over someone who took an exam and has a nice piece of paper to show for it but knows nothing useful.

you could argue that alison young is not media trained like most of the presenters are. but she's just as good a presenter as any of them. and more entertaining. she's not saying she's a brain surgeon or a neuro scientist. she's selling moisturiser

I heard here say to LE Caroline when speaking about the Captain on the trip to the Isle of Wight. He'd asked when having his picture taken if Alison and Will were a couple. Alison then said she had Wills other half working on the farm with her.

Did he not work on the floor at Q (floor manager or camera man)? I remember "the proposal " on air.

you could argue that alison young is not media trained like most of the presenters are. but she's just as good a presenter as any of them. and more entertaining. she's not saying she's a brain surgeon or a neuro scientist. she's selling moisturiser

There is an air of jeopardy watching Ali Young. I like her self-deprecating sense of humour. She really doesn't take herself too seriously. So many of the others are so far up their own jaxies...:mysmilie_11:

There is an air of jeopardy watching Ali Young. I like her self-deprecating sense of humour. She really doesn't take herself too seriously. So many of the others are so far up their own jaxies...:mysmilie_11:

i agree. when she starts laughing its infectious. long may she be the qvc resident beauty expert. she's a star

MML, the thing is though, it's usually AY having a laugh at other people's expense so she couldn't really take herself too seriously because like I say, it's her dishing it out. I myself find her rude and sarcastic, not nice traits.

MML, the thing is though, it's usually AY having a laugh at other people's expense so she couldn't really take herself too seriously because like I say, it's her dishing it out. I myself find her rude and sarcastic, not nice traits.

Absolutely spot on,never found her funny at all,rudest presenter ever.

I listened to Alison a lot when I first started watching and got interested in anti ageing .I always looked after my skin since a teenager. and tried various things recommended on air. In the end I realised they are just sales people pushing many different brands and I stuck with what works for me. I don't really listen to her advice anymore.

Latest posts

Back