How To Look Good BBC1

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

donna255

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Yes, who remembers the last one they did?

Boots was the big winner, we all wanted to see which brands QVC sold made it as really having an effect.

So how well will QVC Beauty Brands do this time?

So BBC1 Wednesday 10th Jan

I'm sure I read a review of this programme a few weeks back and it concluded that basic moisturisers do nothing for the skin long term and only those containing actives will have an anti-ageing effect, and think they concentrated on retinoids.

It would be nice if those with sensitive skin who cannot use retinoids are got a look in.

The one they did years back also looked at shampoos and hair care, the woman was surprised to find that products aimed at different hair did work and one covers all didn't.

From BBC website:

In the UK over £9 billion a year are spent on beauty products that promise to improve and transform us. But how much of what these products promise is based in scientific evidence, and how much is simply marketing manipulation?

Cherry Healey teams up with independent scientists to put everyday cosmetics to the test like never before. In a groundbreaking study carried out by the University of Sheffield, and with the help of 25 volunteers, she discovers that moisturisers might not have the benefits people think they do.

She meets dermatologists in Manchester to find out how well her skin is really aging and sees the shocking effects of sun damage, and she discovers the only over-the-counter product scientists would use on their own wrinkles.

Beauty journalist and author Sali Hughes shows Cherry how to save some money on her make-up bag, and with the help of the University of Sunderland she puts common cellulite solutions to the test - and finds an easy fix that actually works.

With the expert knowledge of an industry insider, she finds out the truth behind the common claims on cosmetics. She also looks at the psychology behind why we buy certain products - and whether we are actually more attractive than we think we are.

A cellulite solution that really works! I look forward to hearing what that is!!

any moisturiser is better than none imo. even if the results are temporary and just for comfort. but i hate retinol it makes my skin dry out and even gives me lines that i don't even have. i am into any moisturiser that uses any type of glycol that brightens and smooths the skin and attracts moisture.

Yes, who remembers the last one they did?

Boots was the big winner, we all wanted to see which brands QVC sold made it as really having an effect.

So how well will QVC Beauty Brands do this time?

So BBC1 Wednesday 10th Jan

Great minds, Donna. I saw a trailer for this and was going to post about it in the thread about new year's resolutions and say the programme might help convince some of us that we are wasting our money on expensive QVC beauty products.

I think the programme is actually called The Truth About Looking Good - next Wednesday at 8.00pm on BBC1.

I note that "the programme also looks at the psychology behind why we buy certain cosmetic and beauty products" - let's hope the psych bit is not investigated and explained by the Speakcrap couple.

Wonder if the cellulite solution is skin brushing.
I remember years ago Marie Helvin, the super model, said she rubbed used coffee grounds into her thighs to reduce cellulite then all these creams containing caffeine started to come onto the market.
It sounds interesting but wouldn’t be surprised if the advice is the same old only sunblock helps.

According to my TV Choice mag, this Wednesday's show is about crash dieting, could be a mistake but I'll watch anyway just in case it's a wrong listing.

Well did anyone watch?

So it was a one-off show. Lots of shots of Elemis etc in department stores.

I will wait for Ultra Sun Abi to start telling us its now proven that sunscreen does stop ageing. Seems sun damage accounts for 75% of lines and wrinkles. I spotted the one I use on my face Kiehls which is really light and you don't feel it once applied.

Dry brushing really helps cellulite, not creams or coffee grains, must have bee the rubbing which really helped.

I know Rimmel foundation is really highly thought of in the US, you cannot get the brand in stores now(on makeupalley loads of posts on there about how they can get it?), I believe Ultra did sell the brand. But really against MAC foundation which is widely thought of as rubbish it was going to win. I remember reading that you spend the money on your foundation to get they best colour match from higher end brands. The drug store ones all tended to be very yellow and too dark for fair skin. Lipgloss any brand does, but they said lipstick was different, wonder why they didn't do a test of those? Knew when I saw the Lancome mascara it would win hands down. Another brand on the beauty forums which get rave reviews along with Dior. I am surprised they didn't do the Benefit which we are told on QVC on is sold every so many seconds?

I watched, it was interesting, especially the experiments they did about self perception, and the impact of marketing/packaging of products.

Yes, the packaging thing was interesting, put on a white coat and people are dazzled. I read a book about Estee Lauder years ago, they well actually one of the sons created Clinique, and insisted the staff all wear white coats. People were found to trust anyone wearing a white coat and looking medical.

https://www.malinandgoetz.co.uk/face/face-scrub/detox-face-mask-4oz-e118ml I have used this face mask for a number of years and love it. The packaging is bog standard nothing fancy at all.

Another is Kevin Murphy hair care, went back to it after WEN left the UK. I first bought at hairdressers who were selling the brand for £2 a bottle. Brilliant range very gentle. But because the packaging was considered boring no one was buying, so the hairdressing salon just wanted to clear it off the shelves.

I've been totally skeptical about skincare and the expensive brands,however a few months ago I was introduced by my daughter to a brand called "The Ordinary" which is low cost no frills packaging basic ingredients brand and I have to say my skin is looking better than it has for a while!
The biggest suprise for me has been the significant fading of age spots/sun damage on my neck and chest by using the lactic acid serum.
I intend to try some of the other products too!!

These type of programmes crop up at regular intervals and people might take note in the short term but soon revert back to falling for the hype surrounding all beauty products. There was a programme a while ago where they placed an £80 face cream into a plain white pot alongside a face cream costing around £2 and asked people to test them. Plus they also took both creams out onto the street and asked passers by to test them too. Almost every person thought the cheaper cream was the expensive one and vice versa and almost every person said the £2 cream felt more moisturising and thats why they thought it was the expensive one. Packaging, image, pseudo scientific gobble de gook, downright lies , celebrity endorsements, expensive advertising and high price tags seem to convince a large number of women (and men) that they`re buying the Holy Grail of skincare which will work miracles.

A prime example of how people fall for celebrity hype is when Catherine Zeta Jones was over here around 12 to 18 months ago promoting her latest project and she appeared in lots of newspapers, magazines and on chat shows. She was asked how she kept her youthful looks and said it was all down to drenching her face in Argan oil. Now anybody with eyes in their head can see she`s no stranger to a plastic surgeon, fillers and botox but that didn`t stop the sales of Argan oil going through the roof and it was reported that shops totted up the highest sales of it ever known.
Now I`m not knocking Argan oil, it`s pretty good stuff but come on who in their right minds believed buying the stuff would actually work the same wonders as Catherine`s pre promotional tour $20,000 face lift after which she was photographed coming out of the hospital wearing the tell tale dark glasses, bruising and wounds behind her ears, in fact hubby Michael had one at the same time.

Latest posts

Back