Beauty Expert or Beauty Saleswoman

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Watching Alison Young tonight claiming to be (yet again) a beauty expert with umpteen years experience, I wondered how she could have the brass nerve to say this, because experts, in whatever field they are in, never claim that all products are 'the best' !

Clearly her only expertise is to SELL the product, because she has positive comments to make on EVERY brand of skincare and cosmetics, never saying anything negative which an 'expert' would surely do.

Hundreds of different brands have been aired on qvc over the years, and statistically they cant all be brilliant, which makes a mockery of her claim in being an 'expert' because she never says anything derogatory because she cannot , and so why should anyone believe what she says about the efficacy of a product in one hour, when she has said the same thing about a similar product the day before ?

I have no problem with her being the face of beauty on QVC and she may have been an expert in her early career, but this simply isn't the case anymore.

And I don’t know how Keeley states their products are for sensitive and reactive skin, like hers. It took my skin six months to calm down after trying a cleanser that gave me red bumps and a further six months to rebalance. Never again.

Alison Young is most definitely a sales person as opposed to an “expert” if you was an expert and knowing how a QVC presenter loves to brag, you’d love nothing more than to brag about your latest qualifications, even bring your qualifications in to show your adoring public/customers. The beauty industry changes every week so I don’t think working for Clarins three decades ago still qualifies you as an expert, if it ever did. I read that beauty professionals need to sit exams every year, Alison Young doesn’t though, she can be whatever she wants to be on QVC I mean, for 24 years she was the “resident” beauty expert then all of a sudden it changed to “qualified” beauty expert. She’ll only recommend QVC beauty products to people, unless it’s an interview and then of course, she doesn’t.

Alison Young is most definitely a sales person as opposed to an “expert” if you was an expert and knowing how a QVC presenter loves to brag, you’d love nothing more than to brag about your latest qualifications, even bring your qualifications in to show your adoring public/customers. The beauty industry changes every week so I don’t think working for Clarins three decades ago still qualifies you as an expert, if it ever did. I read that beauty professionals need to sit exams every year, Alison Young doesn’t though, she can be whatever she wants to be on QVC I mean, for 24 years she was the “resident” beauty expert then all of a sudden it changed to “qualified” beauty expert. She’ll only recommend QVC beauty products to people, unless it’s an interview and then of course, she doesn’t.

maybe its me but she's not claiming to be a brain surgeon or a Neropsychologist she's claiming to be a "Beauty expert" she went to Tech college for a couple of years hardly studying for decades so I believe her. she's doing better than a beauty therapist which is what she would have trained as. the money QVC pays her must be many moons away from a beauty therapists wage. no smoke and mirrors!

Long ago AY used to say I told the beauty buyers we need this brand. That was when new brands came on QVC. I think they no longer listen to her.

Now this was the one that really made me go, Really!:wonder::wonder:

Prescriptives came to QVC and AY all excited and let drop she wore their perfume since it came out in the 80s. Also, more importantly, she used their face cream for years. So all the X, Y or Z brand on QVC was amazing and a must was crap she had been using Prescriptives all along.

So the day she stepped into the job with QVC she became a sells woman, in a way no different from the people you see at Boots' counters sell. Well, seen by more people and no double paid a hell of a lot more.

Loveinamist. I remember clearly years back all products with rose were for mature skin and very intense. In the past few years suddenly the brands are pushing it as for sensitive skin. On a Facebook group I belong to one member who is an Elemis therapist was going on about at training they are instructed rose(strangely Elemis are suddenly doing whole ranges with rose), is for sensitive skin. I cannot use anything with the rose on my face as my rosacea hates it. I like Elemis but only certain products which have been around a long time, Sensitive Wash and PCMC are to favourites. But their newer releases have broke me out and that is trying samples. One the range in the gold bottles even broke out the two women who work at the Elemis counter! I moved over to Emma Hardie for a number of products now and get on great with those.

maybe its me but she's not claiming to be a brain surgeon or a Neropsychologist she's claiming to be a "Beauty expert" she went to Tech college for a couple of years hardly studying for decades so I believe her. she's doing better than a beauty therapist which is what she would have trained as. the money QVC pays her must be many moons away from a beauty therapists wage. no smoke and mirrors!

Of course there’s smoke and mirrors, there’s loads (in store) of smoke and mirrors, that’s before you start on the lies a deceit. She claims to be qualified, in what? where’s the proof? She says “you can only buy this at QVC” when they sell it all over the place cheaper, she says things work, like the LAB products, when they don’t, giving people false hope and wasting their time and money, she gives interviews were she’s saying the complete opposite of what she’s trying to flog on QVC. No, she mightn’t be a “brain surgeon” which has absolutely nothing to do with selling people on QVC creams and products that she knows don’t work, which can make their skin and confidence worse, I wouldn’t believe her if she said today is Monday.

Everything about QVC, AY included, looks stodgy & outdated. A clearout is long overdue & for good measure I'd get rid of the majority of those who pretend to be MPs at the same time.

Everything about QVC, AY included, looks stodgy & outdated. A clearout is long overdue & for good measure I'd get rid of the majority of those who pretend to be MPs at the same time.

hilarious spot on Twilight x

I do ike Alison Young she's brilliant at her job whatever that means. at the beauty bash she was hounded by hundreds of people she is one of the best things about QVC long may she be at QVC :mysmilie_8:

I would take the word of my beauty therapist - who reliably tells me what works and what doesn't, over the word of AY (sincerely folks!) any day of the week.

I agree with her being a salesperson but she's not claiming to be a Neuropsycologist or a brain surgeon she's a qualified beauty therapist and that what she says she is. she went to a tech college in her local town nothing suspicious going on...shes doing well though as she can talk for England and sell a lot of products nothing wrong with that. well done Alison

I would take the word of my beauty therapist - who reliably tells me what works and what doesn't, over the word of AY (sincerely folks!) any day of the week.

well many tens of thousands love buying from Alison young "resident Beauty Expert for decades now and will continue to for as long as she wants the job

I agree with her being a salesperson but she's not claiming to be a Neuropsycologist or a brain surgeon she's a qualified beauty therapist and that what she says she is. she went to a tech college in her local town nothing suspicious going on...shes doing well though as she can talk for England and sell a lot of products nothing wrong with that. well done Alison

Wow! A tech college? Yeah the salesperson has done well for herself. :mysmilie_17:

As for being a “brain surgeon” or “Neuropsychologist” it doesn’t matter how high your profession, a lie is a lie and can do damage. I’ve read of people were she’s recommended something would be ok for their skin to get a sale, and turns out that it was a lie and the persons face became red and inflamed, taking weeks to settle. But we’ll agree to disagree, each to their own.

Ali Young reminds me of those late middle aged sales staff you sometimes see on beauty counters in department stores. Their makeup looks dated, their applications of it looks rough as chuff and they haven`t moved with the times and still apply the same colours and in the same way they would have done in their 20`s or 30`s.
At one time yes they would have been "on trend" and their knowledge and skills up to date but nowadays they just look and act behind the times. True they may still sell stuff and some customers think them the font of all knowledge, mainly people in a similar rut but if by the time you`re on your 40`s, 50`s or above you`re still searching for what suits you or need someone to tell you what to use and how to use it, then the likes of Ali Young make a fortune out of you.
Younger generations would laugh at her and to be honest when she`s spouting on screen she frequently sounds to me as if she`s just reading the instruction pamphlet from a product box. She had her day when she could demonstrate she had at least basic minimum application skills but those days seem to have gone. She tends to just sit there in her ever worsening clothes, nodding her head, talking over people or making out she knows more than she actually does. No doubt she has her following and no doubt she sells stuff but as QVC viewers dwindle and the brands she sells also dwindle plus younger generations shop elsewhere, then who knows which direction she`ll head in. She`ll have made her money for sure but she`ll become a has been, as will some of the other presenters, their days will be limited.

Ali Young reminds me of those late middle aged sales staff you sometimes see on beauty counters in department stores. Their makeup looks dated, their applications of it looks rough as chuff and they haven`t moved with the times and still apply the same colours and in the same way they would have done in their 20`s or 30`s.
At one time yes they would have been "on trend" and their knowledge and skills up to date but nowadays they just look and act behind the times. True they may still sell stuff and some customers think them the font of all knowledge, mainly people in a similar rut but if by the time you`re on your 40`s, 50`s or above you`re still searching for what suits you or need someone to tell you what to use and how to use it, then the likes of Ali Young make a fortune out of you.
Younger generations would laugh at her and to be honest when she`s spouting on screen she frequently sounds to me as if she`s just reading the instruction pamphlet from a product box. She had her day when she could demonstrate she had at least basic minimum application skills but those days seem to have gone. She tends to just sit there in her ever worsening clothes, nodding her head, talking over people or making out she knows more than she actually does. No doubt she has her following and no doubt she sells stuff but as QVC viewers dwindle and the brands she sells also dwindle plus younger generations shop elsewhere, then who knows which direction she`ll head in. She`ll have made her money for sure but she`ll become a has been, as will some of the other presenters, their days will be limited.

I agree but but by then she would have paid off her mortgage have oodles in the the bank and take early retirement so she can ride and groom her horses... so what! she's doing well and having fun. its not hard work being the resident beauty expert

I caught her last week, sorry forget the show as I was channel hopping at the time.

I was really shocked as she had an almost orange thick heavy foundation on, no shimmerbrick for once. My first thought was is it bronzer/fake tan? No, her arms and hands normal pale normal shade. You could clearly see how thick the foundation was.

No, it is not hard work. Someone like Caroline Hirons a woman in her 40s with a family flies all over the world works with different brands and if it comes down to it calls bullsh*t if the brands drop the ball.

Dear old AY just rolls along and doesn't seem to care at all these days. In the old days she used to say this product is not for you if you have whatever. Now, with all the QVC Stans she just toes the party line knowing they will hail her as their saviour.

The products on QVC sell themselves and don’t need an outdated sales woman/man, AY reminds me of Mrs Slocombe off “Are You Being Served” instead of a pussy she’s got a horse. I bet Mrs Slocombe could’ve sold Judith Williams, Elemis and Flora-Meray just as well.

The products on QVC sell themselves and don’t need an outdated sales woman/man, AY reminds me of Mrs Slocombe off “Are You Being Served” instead of a pussy she’s got a horse. I bet Mrs Slocombe could’ve sold Judith Williams, Elemis and Flora-Meray just as well.

wow so you think she should lose her job because you dont like her sales pitch ....

Long ago AY used to say I told the beauty buyers we need this brand. That was when new brands came on QVC. I think they no longer listen to her.

Now this was the one that really made me go, Really!:wonder::wonder:

Prescriptives came to QVC and AY all excited and let drop she wore their perfume since it came out in the 80s. Also, more importantly, she used their face cream for years. So all the X, Y or Z brand on QVC was amazing and a must was crap she had been using Prescriptives all along.

So the day she stepped into the job with QVC she became a sells woman, in a way no different from the people you see at Boots' counters sell. Well, seen by more people and no double paid a hell of a lot more.

Loveinamist. I remember clearly years back all products with rose were for mature skin and very intense. In the past few years suddenly the brands are pushing it as for sensitive skin. On a Facebook group I belong to one member who is an Elemis therapist was going on about at training they are instructed rose(strangely Elemis are suddenly doing whole ranges with rose), is for sensitive skin. I cannot use anything with the rose on my face as my rosacea hates it. I like Elemis but only certain products which have been around a long time, Sensitive Wash and PCMC are to favourites. But their newer releases have broke me out and that is trying samples. One the range in the gold bottles even broke out the two women who work at the Elemis counter! I moved over to Emma Hardie for a number of products now and get on great with those.

I wonder if they actually bothered to do any research or just thought "rose" hmmm "ROSACEA it's practically the same thing, must be good for sensitive skin".

Latest posts

Back