14 Quid for mince pies? C'mon, that's ridiculous!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My favourites are the Asda Extra Special ones in the purple box. They are delicious, bought some yesterday £1.25 for 6

:giggle::giggle: These men, you can't take them anywhere, can you?

Knocks spots of my tatty old Sainsburys bag for life that's for sure....... mind you the prices now, my husband gave the woman on the till the tights I'd just bought and said "you'll need these for the next trolley" last week, she burst out laughing, not sure if she really got what he meant though. :mysmilie_17:

Asda ones are my preferred range too; we had some from M & S last year, and I didn't rate them at all. Bit sparse on the fruit filling IMO and whilst you don't want the pastry burnt, these looked a bit anaemic-looking, as though they'd just been shown to the oven, rather than put into it.

My favourites are the Asda Extra Special ones in the purple box. They are delicious, bought some yesterday £1.25 for 6

I hate anything containing dried fruit, mince pies, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding are all yuk to me but my OH holds a world record for the highest number of mince pies eaten before, during and after Christmas. I`ve been buying them for a couple of weeks and his current favourite are the Aldi specially selected ones with real butter pastry, last week he had them from asda but he`s says the Aldi specially selected ones beat the asda ones. Next week I`ll probably buy some from a stall on our local market and they bake their own bread and make their own cakes and pies. Rest assured by January he will have taste tested every damned mince pie in the NW !

My late BIL ate mince pies every single day of the year. My sister bought up all the mincemeat after Christmas and baked a batch every single week of the year plus a lot extra on the run up to Christmas

Now that's dedication for you.

Don't forget Harrods now charge for their bags. Heaven knows how much they charge for a carrier but it's still probably still cheaper than QVC's P&P

I was in Harrods today. In the Food Hall they had a large mince pie "for sharing." I'd have thought it would be easier for people to eat their own individual pies rather than cut that ****** thing up. Just an excuse to charge £8.95 for a mince pie in a box with a bow on it!

I'm just hoping waitrose do their christmas tree shaped mince pies again this year. I loved them. Normally I detest the shop-bought mince pies, and don't rate the shop-bought mincemeat either. To my everlasting regret I no longer have my mum's mincemeat recipe, it's ruined me for any other.

I'm just hoping waitrose do their christmas tree shaped mince pies again this year. I loved them. Normally I detest the shop-bought mince pies, and don't rate the shop-bought mincemeat either. To my everlasting regret I no longer have my mum's mincemeat recipe, it's ruined me for any other.

May even if you had it it wouldn't be the same because you just can't replicate the years of "doing it by feel" in a recipe and also it wouldn't be your lovely mum doing it for you.

I was thinking of buying 8 packs! I think they offer excellent value for money and l don't even like the things. Thought l could make a Christmas display with them along with the Liz Earle cleanse and polish canister. This and the Alison Cork Christmas tree TSV and my house will be the talk of the street. I might have the flash pad going off in the background for festive sounds. That's my xmad decs sorted!

For a moment I thought you were serious:mysmilie_17::mysmilie_17:

Ha ha! So i'm not the only one. I spent over half an hour looking around for something cheap enough, but big enough to need a Harrods carrier bag. I still have it some where. What are we like! :mysmilie_17:
I always treat myself to something in the food court when I am there. I do love their Turkish kebabs.That with a nice cream cake then off to sit in Hyde Park to eat it.

I haven't been to that shop in a very long time, and I doubt I'll visit again, as I don't travel half as much as I used to, but I want to order stuff from their website, because I also want one of those bags - really, so true!!:mysmilie_48:

I made a dozen mince pies this morning they cost approximately £2.50. I don't know where these companies get their prices from.

factor in your time and fuel costs bettyboo :cash:
it took less than an hour from start to finish and the oven was on for about half an hour. I would say in a commercial kitchen it would not take any longer and they could make dozens in the same length of time.

i just saw the presentation of the £198 bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird and it was raw in the middle. no suprisingly. this is the ultimate blag of all blags

When this 7 bird roast was first reported on here, i did on online check to see what the heck 7 birds inside one another could possibly look like, and what the birds actually were. One website i found were charging slightly less than QVC and they said that their '7 bird roast' took 6/8 hours to cook, depending on size, and fed up to 22/25 people. So i presumed it was something that a hotel or catering outfit would buy, unless your family was that large. I also discovered that it was mainly a boneless turkey with 6 other varieties of breasts and boneless birds inside.
Off to find the presentation on QVC!!

Latest posts

Back