4th holiday cancelled!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Lost a holiday to Turkey due to the Thomas Cook collapse - Got all my money back. Booked a holiday to Tenerife instead which got cancelled due to Covid, a short break to Amsterdam I'd booked was also cancelled due to Covid. I had also booked a holiday to go to Morocco for this coming March all booked before Covid was declared a pandemic and everybody was travelling freely. I was due to pay the balance this week, but have since learned that morocco is off limits and all holidays due to take place up until January 8th have been cancelled. I was advised to still pay the balance otherwise I'd stand to lose the deposit if I don't and if it does get cancelled I'll get a full refund. I told them that my main concern was that a trip to Morocco requires a two week quarrantine, which neither myself or oh are in a position to do, and that they are insisting upon a Covid test which could cost up to £400 for the pair of us and that I can't afford this. So little point in paying for a holiday we definitely wouldn't be able to take on the offchance I might get my money back. Eventually I was told I could transfer my balance to another holiday and that I could chose anything up until the end of October 2022. I've managed to rebook the same Tenerife holiday we'd planned for last April, but we're going in 2022 instead. Little point in trying to book anything for 2021 as my holidays from work are booked so I'd have to pigeon hole the holiday into one of those weeks and as most of them are weeks in the summer it could be very costly and still may be restrictive...and absolutely no point in changing the holiday to one in the travel corridor for March 21 as this appears to be changing on a daily basis. Not a nice thought of having another holiday free year, but if it's going to be restrictive..it won't be fun, so ultimately not worth it. Relief all round and as I don't have to pay the balance for the new holiday until this time next year..I can get my bathroom window done instead..I've been meaning to get it replaced for years!

I had 3 booked long before Covid was known about. Once it became obvious holidays wouldn’t happen I cancelled before the balance was due as I just wasn’t convinced that the holiday companies would be still trading and didn’t want to take the chance of spending months chasing refunds.

The first deposit I lost even though the holiday didn’t go. The second I got a credit towards any EasyJet flight in the future and the third the deposit went against the same holiday in May 2021. However it now looks that this will still be with us by the time the final payment is due approx start of March so do we pay in anticipation or loose this deposit?

We now have the added problem that very few holidays are departing from NI and I’m not 100% sure if our annual holiday insurance is still covering us as last week we received a full book of changes which I haven’t managed to decipher yet.

Pretty peeded off

One of my friends was able to go to Tenerife in October. I was really surprised. Another friend had her holiday cancelled and rebooked twice they just gave her the money back in the end as they could not guarantee bookings even for spring 2021. She would be flying from Belfast.

I guess it all depends upon whether or not you've booked a package holiday, because I know if you've paid up in full, you are entitled to a full refund, but if you decide not to pay the balance, it's marked as a default and even if the holiday is cancelled by the tour operator then it's a lot more tricky to get the money back. Once I realised that even if my holiday did go ahead, there's no way we'd be able to go anyway, I had decided to cut my losses and be prepared to lose my deposit. I was mighty relieved when I was told I could transfer the balance to another holiday up to Oct 2022. If the airline goes bust, it'll be a long wait no doubt to get my money back but I'm in no rush for it.
If I'm honest, once I saw that Covid was going nowhere when autumn started approaching I knew that "2021 Baby!" was NOT gonna be the year when everybody throws off the masks and everything goes back to normal. I viewed my holiday with trepidation and anxiety. I'm a terrible flyer at the best of times and the thought of the airport being an even bigger nightmare than usual, having to sit on a plane for hours wearing a mask, and then getting to the destination to find it so restrictive in what you can do, did not appeal to me in the slightest. I don't think it is worth even trying to take a holiday abroad anytime soon - sad but true.

Latest posts

Back