ABC Tea Tree oil and skin?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
Hi everyone, we use tea tree oil here at home for all sorts of things. However, just Googling for something at random, I found this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/30/2941232.htm

I quote from the story:

""We don't recommend tea tree oil be applied to the skin and we certainly don't recommend that the public go out and buy tea tree oil or use tea tree oil products on their skin," she said."

I presume that the Dr. is referring to raw tea tree oil here, but isn't that what the ABC bottles of tea tree oil are? This seems to be rather contradictory to what I would assume.

Hi everyone, we use tea tree oil here at home for all sorts of things. However, just Googling for something at random, I found this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/30/2941232.htm

I quote from the story:

""We don't recommend tea tree oil be applied to the skin and we certainly don't recommend that the public go out and buy tea tree oil or use tea tree oil products on their skin," she said."

I presume that the Dr. is referring to raw tea tree oil here, but isn't that what the ABC bottles of tea tree oil are? This seems to be rather contradictory to what I would assume.

I can't use tea tree oil neat on my skin. It irritates it so bad it looks like it's burned. I was sporting a very big and sore red patch on my chin for well over a week once, after trying to dab some tea tree oil (QVC's) on a spot:mysmilie_466:

I reacted badly to tea tree as well. The ABC wash made my skin really dry & sore and putting the neat oil on insect bites just made them worse.
I always wince when Ali Y goes on (and on) about it being safe & fine for the whole family.

Don't know the ingredients of that particular product, but tea trea oil - like all essential oils - shouldn't be applied 'neat' on the skin because of the risk of skin irritation: it should be diluted in the proper proportions (x amount of drops of tea tree oil added to y amount of carrier oil; or 8 drops added to bath water).

Confusing! So they say it can help with skin cancer but don't apply the tea tree to your skin?? What are you supposed to do with it??

The report in question will have probably studied how the oil can be used in certain conditions and in certain mixtures. Without knowing the experiments used, it shouldn't be taken as fact it can be a cure in preventing cancer. Putting it into the context of where this is from, skin cancer is taken a lot more seriously in Australia, the article is hinting at that its not a cure or preventative measure. Unfortunately the headline is misleading.

Oh yeah, currently using the ABC bodywash and quite liking it...

For most people Tea tree and Lavender can be used safely neat on the skin. Reactions may have occured because of the quality of the oil, usually you should find the latin name along with the common name and check to see if it has been blended with other oils/ingredients. Irritation can also occur if you apply that oil too frequently.
Also the concentration could be too strong for your skin. If you have sensitive skin always do a patch test or dilute with a little carrier oil like jojoba or olive oil.

Without getting technical essential oils have many constituents and it could be one of these that causes the reaction. There are many contraindications to using essential oils, ones to avoid if you have high blood pressure or epilepsy for example as well as situtations such as after surgery, pregnancy etc. There are many oils too that you should never use not even diluted. Aromatherapy and it's essential oils is a huge subject and care should be taken when using them.

Regarding it's use with cancer that should always be with the GP's permission as it also depends on the type of cancer.

:flower:

I was having this very conversation with my friend today(what a coincidence!), I don't get any reaction to using tea tree in essential oil form on my skin at all and I have very sensitive skin. I don't wallop it on in big doses though and I think that may make a big difference. My friend says that she always uses tea tree and lavender oil without carrier oils and she's big on alternatives, interesting that alibeth's book says these are the two that are safe. We both came to the conclusion that it's maybe just for caution that they advise not to put it directly.

Confusing! So they say it can help with skin cancer but don't apply the tea tree to your skin?? What are you supposed to do with it??

A couple of drops would liven up a ****** Mary a treat.

Allegedly... :drunk:

A couple of drops would liven up a ****** Mary a treat.

Allegedly... :drunk:

One oil that is interesting is Clary sage. This enhances the effects of alcohol and should not be used if you have been drinking! Exaggerates drunkeness and has narcotic effects!

This is true (not tried it personally - honest!) and would never recommend it!

:grin:

Thanks for all your replies on this :) I've been using tea tree for years and I'm certain it works. I use it to help wards off colds and nasties. I know it's not a miracle cure for everything, but I'm certain it helps. When I was in hospital after surgery, one of the nurses that looked after me extolled the virtues of tea tree as an antiseptic. Even my doctor has changed his tune - he used to pooh-pooh alternatives but he's now actually asked me to let him have some to try! I will continue using it as I don't have any problems with it myself but I did ask QVC directly too. I wonder if I will hear back? :) I agree that the article has little context to it and really needs more information to clarify. Anything to sell copy I guess! Thanks all, I knew the friendly forumites would know :)

I used neat tree tea oil on a verucca and it worked .

I totally agree with you. I had suffered with veruccas (as many as 9 on one foot) for many years. I had treatment with the chiropodist which included freezing them - digging them out - using bazuka (sp) by the bucket load. He then suggested using teatree and lemon oil and hey they cleared up within a couple of weeks and more to the point they have stayed away

I'm a big tea tree oil fan - I use the ABC skinwash for so many things..showering, cleaning the shower, handwash, facewash, washing face cloths - the oil I use neat on spots and dilute down to use as a spray to clean worktops etc. - brilliant stuff...wouldn't be without it...

Latest posts

Back