Alison Young - another fashion faux pas!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Izal toilet paper. I adored my grandmother & would have spent all my time with her if I'd been allowed,the only problem was the downstairs loo & when I told my mum about the horror of this awful stuff she said "All you have to do is scrunch".

eeeeek! My eyes are watering!

Don’t like Alison’s flesh coloured top with gathers & lace like an old fashioned negligee 8p.m Wednesday Beauty Insider makes her look huge.

Caught this later on yesterday evening. Nan's 'bed spread' springs to mind.

Has anyone noticed that she keeps 'name checking' her magazine 'photo shoots'. Some people just love showing off.

Alison looked awful in that pink/flesh top. It just made her look big and frumpy but I thought she wasn't looking too well in herself so maybe the clothes weren't helping.

CC

Alison looked awful in that pink/flesh top. It just made her look big and frumpy but I thought she wasn't looking too well in herself so maybe the clothes weren't helping.

CC

I agree. I hadn't seen Alison for a few weeks and I thought she looked really down, and
quite a lot older, not her usual self. I hope it was just a down day...like most of us have.

We had a coal fire wasn’t it cold until the fire got going?My Mum used to hold a piece in newspaper in front of the grate until the fire got going.Sometimes the paper would catch fire & went up the chimney!I did love the open fire though & my Dad would pick out a ‘special’ log at Christmas, then we had to sit at the back of the room because of the heat!

We had coal fires too, but did run an electric heater upstairs to take the chill off. Trouble is the electrics were so dodgy, you could only run it in one room at a time so if you were trying to get your bedroom habitable and someone else wanted the bathroom less than Arctic so they could have a bath, you had to negotiate. You certainly learned how to get a move on! Such fun!!!!! Mind you the day we managed to get the loo integrated inside was a day for big celebration.

CC

When she started at the Q & did 'In the salon with Alison' shows she wore a beauty salon top & trousers, they suited her & she looked good. Over the years she's talked a lot about her horses & I would imagine she feels most comfortable in her riding clothes or it may be that she's one of those people who struggle to find a look that's them. The nude top did nothing for her, too fussy, too pale &, dare I say it, one for a less mature woman. I know that she has an under active thyroid & her medication may be causing water retention. My Mr T once came up with a name for that shade of pink, very naughty so I'll not reveal it:mysmilie_17:

We had a coal fire wasn’t it cold until the fire got going?My Mum used to hold a piece in newspaper in front of the grate until the fire got going.Sometimes the paper would catch fire & went up the chimney!I did love the open fire though & my Dad would pick out a ‘special’ log at Christmas, then we had to sit at the back of the room because of the heat!

Christmas the fire was "banked up" so when we got up Christmas Day it was warm and one less chore as the gas always went low at lunch time. The meat on Christmas day was always roasted in the Yorkshire range that backed into the kitchen from the fire in the other room.

We had coal fires too, but did run an electric heater upstairs to take the chill off. Trouble is the electrics were so dodgy, you could only run it in one room at a time so if you were trying to get your bedroom habitable and someone else wanted the bathroom less than Arctic so they could have a bath, you had to negotiate. You certainly learned how to get a move on! Such fun!!!!! Mind you the day we managed to get the loo integrated inside was a day for big celebration.

Sounds like my cottage right now. The electrics are Donald Ducked!

When she started at the Q & did 'In the salon with Alison' shows she wore a beauty salon top & trousers, they suited her & she looked good. Over the years she's talked a lot about her horses & I would imagine she feels most comfortable in her riding clothes or it may be that she's one of those people who struggle to find a look that's them. The nude top did nothing for her, too fussy, too pale &, dare I say it, one for a less mature woman. I know that she has an under active thyroid & her medication may be causing water retention. My Mr T once came up with a name for that shade of pink, very naughty so I'll not reveal it:mysmilie_17:

Oh please please do!

Ali Y looks her best in shades of colour stronger than pastels, IMO. She has, in the past, referred to her work with horses and the farm giving her big arms, so lacy numbers do not seem a wise choice. Mind you with all the lace trims you see now on clothes looking cheap and nasty, I can't understand why anybody wants to wear them... and if softer shades are not your best look, you will end up looking washed out and ill. Stick AY in a vibrant blue and she looks great. I hope it is a poor choice of colour rather than illness.

Back on the past toilet horrors, while I never had to use an outside loo at home, we did have a proper back to basics holiday one summer in Snowdon national park. A cottage at the foot of the mountain with a single cold water tap in the kitchen, no bathroom, a toilet at the end of the garden, chamber pots under the beds... Bath time was either a stand-up wash in a plastic washing up bowl in the middle of the kitchen, or a easy and splash in the freezing mountain stream. Toilet paper, until we got to a shop, was old newspaper. That was deluxe stuff for your undercarriage compared to the crisp edges of the medicated toilet paper!
A memorable holiday without a doubt in so many ways and a two week window on living without home comforts...

My idea of heaven would be a convertable Mercedes Sport, cream interior. I've wanted one since I was 18

Might just happen...#dreambig etc!

Ali Y looks her best in shades of colour stronger than pastels, IMO. She has, in the past, referred to her work with horses and the farm giving her big arms, so lacy numbers do not seem a wise choice. Mind you with all the lace trims you see now on clothes looking cheap and nasty, I can't understand why anybody wants to wear them... and if softer shades are not your best look, you will end up looking washed out and ill. Stick AY in a vibrant blue and she looks great. I hope it is a poor choice of colour rather than illness.

Back on the past toilet horrors, while I never had to use an outside loo at home, we did have a proper back to basics holiday one summer in Snowdon national park. A cottage at the foot of the mountain with a single cold water tap in the kitchen, no bathroom, a toilet at the end of the garden, chamber pots under the beds... Bath time was either a stand-up wash in a plastic washing up bowl in the middle of the kitchen, or a easy and splash in the freezing mountain stream. Toilet paper, until we got to a shop, was old newspaper. That was deluxe stuff for your undercarriage compared to the crisp edges of the medicated toilet paper!
A memorable holiday without a doubt in so many ways and a two week window on living without home comforts...

What fun! was this recently...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone on the Forum said her husband chooses her Alison’s clothes if that’s true it’s time she sacked him. As a so called beauty expert I would expect her to look immaculate when she’s on air regardless of the mucking out etc. Some of the outfits she wears are truly awful but then she isn’t the only presenter with bad fashion choices.

May, that sounds like the ultimate horror to me! Some friends had a weekend cottage (very nice) and we went to visit their friends with one. Well, to me it was a weekend hovel, but each to his own. The chemical toilet upstairs was on floorboards through which you could see the people in the room below!!!! I just spent the journey back saying "Never suggest that to me again!" .

May, that sounds like the ultimate horror to me! Some friends had a weekend cottage (very nice) and we went to visit their friends with one. Well, to me it was a weekend hovel, but each to his own. The chemical toilet upstairs was on floorboards through which you could see the people in the room below!!!! I just spent the journey back saying "Never suggest that to me again!" .

Mazza, you have my admiration for surviving all the toilet horrors that life has thrown your way.

When I was a little girl we had an old lady who lived nearby and she`d sit at her front doorstep and give sweets to all the kids who passed by. We all called her Aunty Mary and she was unmarried,had no children of her own and had lived in the same 2 up, 2 down, mid terraced house since birth. All of our Mums kind of looked out for her and they`d send us round with home baked cakes or a pot of home made soup or similar. I can clearly recall her having gas mantles in her house and because she was lonely she`d encourage us to stop and chat with her. On one visit I needed the loo which just like our own house it was down the backyard and it was my first and only time I ever came across a tippler toilet. It was a wooden box with a hole in the top and when you`d finished you pulled a handle and it tipped the tray underneath the hole and the contents went into the drain underneath.
When Aunty Mary passed away I was around 13 and her family home was ripped apart by builders and dragged into the 20th century. I can still remember her old fashioned furniture, the crochet mats on top of the huge old sidebord, the back kitchen with just a stone sink, a kitchenette cupboard and an ancient gas cooker. The house didn`t have electricity so she`d no mod cons at all.

I love this forum, from Alison Young's poor dress sense to all things toilet related... Long may it continue.

Latest posts

Back