Amazon Kindle Paperwhite with Case TSV 26/06/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Me too and then Mr L upgraded me to a paper white and I just can't
keep track of my books like the old one, one minute they are there and the next they have disappeared no matter how much he futters with it. The change over was a nightmare. I would go back to the original like a shot except the PW is much lighter. I use it every day.

Best thing ever, I would give up mobile/iPad/tv before it.

In what way, LATI?

I noticed Lee was a bit economical with the truth regarding the cost of Kindle books. He said they tend to be cheaper than buying the physical book. I'm currently reading Career of Evil and on Amazon it's £3.00 in paperback and £4.99 for Kindle. I know that's totally unscientific and you might pay p and p for the book (though you would get p and p free if you spend £10). When I used my kindle I did find downloads can be dearer than buying the actual book and I believe you pay vat on downloads which could explain this. I do think this is a good deal and Kindles are great if they suit your reading habits but it still annoys me when QVC aren't entirely honest.

There is currently a book that I am waiting to come down in price at the moment it is priced nearly £10, whilst the paper version is around 8, I know that the digital and analogue versions kind of reflect each others pricing (thus if the book is in hardback then the kindle price will be of similar pricing), why this should be the case I have no idea, but at the moment that seems to be the way the pricing works, i still can't work out why they have not got a '3rd channel' pricing specifically for kindle books, as it is now becoming a popular medium given that people are not only using e-readers, but also have apps on their phones. I have waited a while for the price to come down, now I find out that the paperback version is coming out, thus will be priced around £5 and yet still the digital version, which has no physicality involved is still around £10, this is the first time I have known this to happen, but I just can't understand why this is the case.

Remember you have to pay VAT on ebooks but not on real books ...must say i do love the kindle voyage i was given for a birthday present (it was the lightest one out at the time) . I do miss being able to hold a real book all the time but i will put up with the pain for the right author.

I didn't end up getting this, as I forgot it was today and by the time I remembered the colour option I would have bought (white Kindle with purple case) had sold out. It was a really good price for a change though.

So anyway, I thought I would ask everyone a question - what are you reading at the moment and how are you reading it? I'm reading Mark Webber's autobiography: Aussie Grit: My Formula One Journey on my Kindle (which I mentioned earlier is a 2011 model).

So anyway, I thought I would ask everyone a question - what are you reading at the moment and how are you reading it? I'm reading Mark Webber's autobiography: Aussie Grit: My Formula One Journey on my Kindle (which I mentioned earlier is a 2011 model).

I'm reading The Forsyte Saga - which is a bit heavy going because of the more traditional language used - it's free on Kindle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084AHD30/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Plus, I'm reading the Z-Burbia series for some light relief:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FTKWNU6/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

I'm reading Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling). It's a hardback that I reserved at the library for 60p. I'm really enjoying it.

I`m reading the Rosie Gilmour series in paperback ( 1 to 6 ) by Anna Smith.

I'm reading a book about the Tudor Dynasty, and the big man himself Henry V111, I love anything to do with the Tudors and Victorian era, really fascinates me.

At the moment I am doing Strange and Norell which was a BBC series last year.

I tend to go for Victorian murderers which in print form are either out of print or very expensive as a small print run. On Kindle I get better deals.

So Mary Ann Cotton, Amelia Dyer etc. I did do the Beautiful Creatures which was a movie, I had wanted to read for long time but very difficult to get in actual print. That was the two New Zealand school girls who in 1951 murdered one of their mothers.

Are we sensing a theme yet?:mysmilie_50:

Oh I have collected quite a few Jane Austin and the Brontes as they come up free now and then.

I've just finished both A Street Cat Named Bob, and The World According To Bob, they're the most heartwarming books I've ever read. They're true stories, the first is about about how a man who was down on his luck through getting into drugs but trying to turn his life around when this stray cat appeared at his door, he gave him his last meal and tried to find who he belonged to, but Bob (as he was now named) kept coming back to him, so that was it a life long friendship developed, Bob even went busking with him and high fived people passing, everyone got to know Bob, long story short this man who had nothing gave this cat everything, and that was it a friendship was born. The second one is basically how the book deals came about for them both, the man showed this poor cat the height of compassion and in return, Bob turned his life around for the better. The books are written well and once picked up, can't be put down.

Just wondering if anyone has had theirs shipped yet please? I ordered in the morning on Saturday and am a bit disappointed that mine is still showing as "in process" two days later...

Just wondering if anyone has had theirs shipped yet please? I ordered in the morning on Saturday and am a bit disappointed that mine is still showing as "in process" two days later...

I ordered mine around 4pm on Saturday and it showed as shipped yesterday afternoon.

Maybe different colour combinations get despatched at different times? (Not that that is acceptable, of course). I ordered black kindle with pink case.

Hope yours gets despatched soon. I don't think I'll get mine today anyway as on Hermes tracker it's still at national hub.

Last edited:
I ordered mine around 4pm on Saturday and it showed as shipped yesterday afternoon.

Maybe different colour combinations get despatched at different times? (Not that that is acceptable, of course). I ordered black kindle with pink case.

Hope yours gets despatched soon. I don't think I'll get mine today anyway as on Hermes tracker it's still at national hub.

Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed you will have yours tomorrow then :)

I placed my order around nine/ten in the morning on Saturday. White/Pink option.

I actually just phoned QVC now to check (as something I ordered yesterday, ie. later, is already shipped too). But I am not sure it did any good. They do "look into" orders that have not shipped within 48 hours she said, which is more or less is now, but I did not leave very confident thinking that they will actually look into it at all. So I guess I will just have to wait. Hopefully it will change to "shipped" later today...

I'm sure you'll get yours tomorrow Anso. I was a bit slow off the mark so missed out on the white one else I would've got that, it did look lovely. I'm very accident prone though so a black one is probably better for me as it'll show less marks from me dropping it/smearing chocolate over it/spilling tea over it :mysmilie_17:

One of my Kindles has shipped (the black one) but the white still in progress. Hoping there is not too much of a delay with it.

I tend to go for Victorian murderers which in print form are either out of print or very expensive as a small print run. On Kindle I get better deals.

So Mary Ann Cotton, Amelia Dyer etc. I did do the Beautiful Creatures which was a movie, I had wanted to read for long time but very difficult to get in actual print. That was the two New Zealand school girls who in 1951 murdered one of their mothers.

I love reading about the Victorian era and crime & punishment. Would love to see a movie about Kate Webster or Mary Pearcey!

Good thing about Kindles is that you can sit reading trash quite openly without any-one realising :blush: For my 'proper' reading I love the Roy Grace detective novels by Peter James :rock:

One of my Kindles has shipped (the black one) but the white still in progress. Hoping there is not too much of a delay with it.

Hrm... Wonder why the white is taking so long to ship....? Starting to feel a bit disppointed now as mine has still not shipped either.

Seen a couple of posts on QVC Facebook speculating that white kindle will be shipped on 30th when it is released by Amazon. Not very happy if that is the case as don't remember anyone mentioning that during the demos :(

Seen a couple of posts on QVC Facebook speculating that white kindle will be shipped on 30th when it is released by Amazon. Not very happy if that is the case as don't remember anyone mentioning that during the demos :(

That's what I have been fearing too. Very unfair if that is the case as I am sure they kept mentioning how they had it before it was on sale on Amazon and it being a premiere etc. Very, very poor if they don't mention this when they sell it. And also they didn't say so when I was on the phone with them today questioning them about it either. If so it won't ship for another few days :(

Latest posts

Back